Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Charrey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I feel like I'm the bane for starting solids at 5 1/2 months

I am all about following cues, and I would have done the same in your situation. If baby is showing signs of readiness I'm ok with starting my babies on solids after 5 months. I tried with my first at about 6.5 months but he didn't really show a lot of interest until about 7.5 mos. My LO will be 4 months on the 9th and she is definitely not ready yet. But all babies are different!

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
mama23boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had every intention of waiting until 6 months w/ ds3. At 51/2 months, I was holding him on my lap eating a banana and he just attacked it. He completely gummed it w/ no gagging or anything. I didn't start giving him regular meals until about a month later but he would have bits of soft veggies at dinner to occupy him. He knew what he was missing and would have a fit!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
purna079
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First off, there is not hard and set deadline for progression in biology. Animals mature within a range. There is a range for children to reach milestones, there is a range for when babies are ready to eat. I wouldnt stress too much.
OoBeeSoap.com
purna079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
SarahLee318
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't forget that babies hit a growth spurt around 6 months so it is perfectly normal for babies of this age to want to nurse 24/7 as this is how your baby will increase your milk supply that he/she will need. While solids may not be bad for baby, too much may be bad for your milk supply.

Follow me on Facebook to see my latest creations!
SarahLee318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
yummysummy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't worry...you have to listen to your baby...I started my dd on solids at the same age 5.5 but my son who is much older started solids at 4 months to the day....that was the recco then..

Information is always changing so you just have to trust your instincts mama!!
yummysummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #16
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My mom says "opionions are like ***-holes, everyone has one"

Yesterday a lady was commenting on how I have not givin dd cereal yet (she just turned 4 months). She said she needs more then just plain old milk in her belly. I guess my boobie milk is not half as good as the cereal and formula her granddaughter is eating at 4 months...

Hard part is knowmatter what you do, and you know your daughter better then anyone, someone is always going to open their mouth. My daughter is not ready for food yet, if she was reaching and excited for it at the dinner table I would probably give it to her!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #17
AndeeL
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelss
Our pediatrician told us that any time after 4 months is okay. That's when ebf benefits start to decline. Don't worry!
Holy crap! You need a new ped stat. BF benefits never, ever decline. breastmilk is good for everyone at any age.

Start solids when you like, but please, please don't tell ppl this outdated idea anymore and educate your ped.
AndeeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #18
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

I know babies grow fast but I don't know what could suddenly happen in those two weeks between 5.5 and 6 months that could make solids ok. I started dd1 on cereal at around 4 months. Dd 2 is 4 months now but she won't start for awhile. We did try cereal once already but she isn't ready for it.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:41 AM   #19
RachelC
Registered Users
seller

All babies develop at different paces and 6 months is just a guideline -- 5.5 months seems close enough, plus your baby is showing signs of readiness! I had fully planned on waiting till my baby was 6 months, but she started crawling at 5 months and I decided to start her a little bit before. She LOVES food! She's now 6 months and is starting to cruise around on furniture!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #20
Mella622
Registered Users
seller

Don't feel bad - my ped wanted us to start at 5 months but my daughter just isn't interested. I wish she was!
Mella622 is offline   Reply With Quote