Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
ekeith28
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need advice! Can toddler be afraid of pooping?

My DD is 2 and does fairly well peeing in the potty, and has never pooped in the potty. But it seems like she's holding on as long as possible to poop. A week ago, she was constipated, so we've been giving her more apple and prune juices! So now constipation is not an issue, but she'll complain that her tush hurts and won't even try to go until she can't hold it any longer.

What should I do to help her?

Advertisement

Get 150,000+ free online coupon codes, printable grocery coupons, restaurant coupons, cash back and more at ShopAtHome.com!
ekeith28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Super Mom Of 6 Girls
Registered Users
Formerly: GirlyMama81
seller

Re: Need advice! Can toddler be afraid of pooping?

I am having like the same problem. My two year old will yell and dance around but when we get her to the potty she won't go. I have no idea what to do here!
Super Mom Of 6 Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Distraction while she's on the potty. The thing that worked best for my DD when she went through the same phase was to put on a sesame street video when she needed to poop. The rule was, the video only stayed on for as long as she was sitting on the potty. She was not allowed to watch videos at any other time of day (we don't have a TV, just laptops!) so she was pretty highly motivated to stay on the potty for the whole video. During the course of the show, she relaxed enough to do her business.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
PurpleRina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedledum View Post
Distraction while she's on the potty. The thing that worked best for my DD when she went through the same phase was to put on a sesame street video when she needed to poop. The rule was, the video only stayed on for as long as she was sitting on the potty. She was not allowed to watch videos at any other time of day (we don't have a TV, just laptops!) so she was pretty highly motivated to stay on the potty for the whole video. During the course of the show, she relaxed enough to do her business.
This is one that I've used effectively too (we're on week 2.5 of potty learning).

Other thing is, watch your child's pattern (or think back) when pooping in a diaper. My DD was SUPER private about doing her #2 business starting from about 14 months. Seriously. Would go down to her room, hide under the table....and then after 2, she would put her hand up and tell us "Go out, go away." So... I figured that it wouldn't be any different with #2 on the potty. I literally let her take her potty into the closet and poop in private the first time she was successful on the potty. Yesterday I could tell she had to go and made a big announcement that I was going to go poop on the potty in the other room and left....came back in 20 minutes and there it was! If you can simulate the circumstances they were comfortable goin g in a dipe, they will probably be similar on the potty.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
pnutandmunchkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had this problem with my 3yo. Its called self induced constipation. My ODD had an episode when it was painful to poop because of constipation and would hold it until she had no other option. Increased fiber, prunes, apple juice, distraction, etc we tried and nothing else worked. I finally went to our pediatrician and she put her on a course of a certain med that loosens stools so she couldn't hold it then as soon as she was regular, we gradually took it off. She told us that just by increasing the fiber intake wouldn't "force" her to go, but just increase the size of the rectal vault which could in the long run allow her to hold it longer because of decreased sensitization of the sphincter muscles. Worked like a charm and now she goes on the potty by herself with no further "holding" episodes. She still likes to poop in private with the door closed and occasionally with us holding her hand. She even went poop in a restaurant bathroom on Friday which would have never happened before. GL!

Last edited by pnutandmunchkin; 10-16-2011 at 05:37 AM.
pnutandmunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote