Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
kristina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Stubborn clogged duct

DD is 10 days old and still pretty sleepy. I noticed a big lump starting on Sunday. I've been pumping, taking hot showers while massaging and hand expressing and it just won't clear out. I had what I think was a milk blister but that is gone now. I read on kellymom about taking Lecithin - and DH is on his way to go pick some up from the vitamin store for me. Is there anything else I can do? It doesn't hurt as bad today but it's still definitely there and the whole side of my b00b is bright red. I am so paranoid about getting mastitis. TIA

Advertisement

kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

The pump wasn't strong enough to get it out so I had my hubby suck it out...hope that doesnt gross you out but it worked! Thank god!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stubborn clogged duct

I would put a warm cloth, or one of the thermacare patches, on the area for an hour or two before pumping. Then massage the heck out of the area when pumping. Sometimes I had to do this for 2-3 sessions before it would clear. This was when I was exclusively pumping for DD1. DD2 is BF and I've never had a clogged duct with her.,
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
kristina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knodceo View Post
The pump wasn't strong enough to get it out so I had my hubby suck it out...hope that doesnt gross you out but it worked! Thank god!
DH keeps offering this...I don't know how I feel about it. My 28 month old just weaned about 4 months ago and I was tempted to see if he would latch and do it. I'm worried he would bite me though.
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #5
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

massage it while nursing. Baby nursing is the best way ti clear it up. nurse with the baby's chin pointing towards the clog. You will get the strongest sucking pointed toward the clogged duct that way.

Sent via my phone using swype. Beware of typos
Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wasn't able to actually massage hard enough on it because it was so painful, but I did the hot compress for awhile and had Dh massage while I pumped and you could see a visible heavy stream which the advice nurse said would happen. If it doesn't get better soon I would go in and see if it's mastitis. I had a friend who had it and got horribly sick. Her method after that was to fill their bathroom sink with hot water and lean over dipping her boobs in the hot water until she could feel the pressure lessen.
Good luck!! I remember crying from being in so much pain and mine was also at 10 days PP.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina

DH keeps offering this...I don't know how I feel about it. My 28 month old just weaned about 4 months ago and I was tempted to see if he would latch and do it. I'm worried he would bite me though.
If dh is offering, go for it! I think my dh would be too squeamish. I probably wouldn't have a weaned two year old do it unless you had him "practice" first and are open to having a potential tandem nursling. Hope you feel better soon! I only had a plugged duct once when camping! Not fun, but at least my 10-month old got it cleared up pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go bra-less. Rest. Take baby to bed for the day and nurse away. Warm compress, nurse that side first, aim baby's chin or nose toward clog, massage, pump after nursing. try nursing in different positions. Like on your hands and knees with baby under you. i would get plugs on the outer side of my L breast (3 o'clock position). If I laid on my right side to nurse and leaned over so the baby could reach my left breast, it almost always cleared it. See your doc if the redness gets worse, esp. if you have a fever.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote