Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #21
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: where is circ done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheidiann View Post
I wish they let foster kids be circ'd here! Medi-cal won't pay for it...and it's very difficult to get approval to do it if WE wanted to pay!
Depending on your insurance, if you can get an order for medical guardianship, you can place the child under your private insurance and just use both. A foster mom I worked with figure this out and we had to go to court (no biggie) to request an order and explain it to the judge who happily agreed (and then signed a second order for us as they didn't get it to us within the 30 day time frame of the order issued so they couldn't use the first one). Since learning that, we did it a few times for foster parents who didn't care if it were extra or free to put extra kids on (usually ones they wanted to adopt).

If rights are terminated/consent, the agency official in charge may be able to sign off on that type of medical stuff. Ours was (we'd always ask the bio-parents first in less there would be drama - often, parents just consented so it was a non-issue. A few times the biological parent just met us at the doctor).

In hindsight, I'd use a urologist. We were in a lousy hospital but we didn't have a lot of choices since we were not legally the parents (we did consent to it as the birthparents asked us and everyone agreed but they officially consented) but after seeing the hospital, I wish I waited till we got back to ours. (everything is fine).

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #22
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow.thanks for the info!! I will look into it and see what we can do!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #23
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

My midwife did my DS at the hospital before we went home
Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #24
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Here they are done at the peds office between 3 and 8 days. We didn't circ our DS, but I would have gone to a urologist if we were going to.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Last edited by ktmelody; 09-28-2011 at 09:55 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

A pediatrician should never be the one to perform prophylactic prepucectomy. He needs to see a pediatric urologic surgeon for that.
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #26
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akilgore View Post
DS was done at the hospital but they don't so that anymore. If this baby is a boy, we're going to have DH's urologist do the circ.
With how rare it is becoming in California, it is starting to be really hard to find some one to do it now. My neighbor had to go way out of her way to find some one and then found out it was like $400 out of pocket, since medi-cal and several insurance companies don't cover it any more. She was so mad she got it done, she thought it was way more common and her lil boy had a few issues, this was just two months ago. Like no hospitals do it here anymore, she was told partially because the request is so much less common these days, she was told all this after the fact. Soon all will be moved out of hospital as it becomes a less common and more paid out of pocket surgery. So no OP it's not uncommon.

Last edited by Fairycat; 09-28-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #27
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheidiann View Post
I wish they let foster kids be circ'd here! Medi-cal won't pay for it...and it's very difficult to get approval to do it if WE wanted to pay!
I see why they wouldn't allow it, I mean that could be a lawsuit waiting to happen, if the birth family gets that child back. I can see why they would not allow it to be honest.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #28
robinbird74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS#1 had his bris performed in the living room of our old apartment by a mohel (he is also a urologist) with our immediate family present. DS#2 (6 years later) had his bris done by a different mohel who is also a rabbi (and also a urologist) at our synagogue with our family and good friends present as part of this special Jewish tradition and rite. Both on the 8th day after birth. It does feel strange to have a surgical procedure done not in a hospital, but because of Jewish tradition this is how it is done. I was able to numb them prior and nurse immediately after.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #29
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

My guys were done in the hospital. DH's friend who lives in Oregon had to go to the peds. when their son was maybe 3-4 weeks old
Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #30
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have both circ'd and intact boys. My circ'd boys were done in the hospital by the OB.

For the poster with the Foster kids unless they have TPR it could get very legally involved if they go home with a circ and parents/relatives are opposed. Would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Unless you can prove they have a medical condition its elective/cosmetic.