Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
SAHM with DH/DP that work from home...

How do you do it? DH is going on an interview tomorrow that he would be doing this and it SCARES the living daylights out of me. I mean him getting a pay check would be GREAT but him working from home makes me as nervous as when I was a nanny doing this and my son is my own kid!! I can't get fired from this position! (I didn't get fired from my nanny position but that is just an example of how nervous I was, like I was being watched all the time.)

He would be working out of the spare bedroom which is on the main floor of the house. It is basically 1/3 of this floor.

Do you ever have people at your house for playdates? I feel like I couldn't be myself in my own home. Does it get easier with time?

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
stacy_smile
Registered Users

Re: SAHM with DH/DP that work from home...

My DH works from home and we love it. He is an appraiser and in our old house his office was in the basement and it was great, b/c there was seperation for the kids to know not to bug him. His office will be in the basement in our new house once we get moved in. We are currently renting while renovating our house and his office is in our master bedroom - it's a whole new meaning to bringing work home with you. It has been harder with him right off the kitchen b/c I have to try to keep the kids quieter so he can work and keep them out of his office when he's trying to get stuff done. I still have people over and I currently babysit - he'll say hi if he comes out from his office when someone is here, or they don't even realize he's home. Another bonus is what can happen during naptime, when the house is quiet and he's home !
The downside is that it's a lot harder for him to be done work - it's always here, and because we own our own company it has to get done, so we definitely don't have a 9-5 kinda work day - more like a 8am-9pm work day some days! He talks occasionally of getting an office uptown, but I told him I'd miss him to much!
stacy_smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

What is the problem? Do you think he wouldn't approve of how you spend the day?
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my hubby works from our home full time (he's been doing this for about 5 years) and while it was ok with 2 small kids, now we have four children and i hate the work from home set-up. he's looking for a different job actually, that would take him into an office. we're even considering moving to another (far away) city because of it. i know EXACTLY what you mean when you say you are hesistant.

Last edited by steph410; 09-28-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: elaborated
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I worry about second guessing myself. Before I would just make decisions and let the chips fall where they may, but with him home I would feel like I need to second guess myself. I mean DH and I agree on almost everything with parenting but for some reason I feel like I wouldn't be the same with him here.

I also worry about me making trips out and having to tell DH where I was going. I mean I don't go anywhere special or anything but I didn't when he is working I can do whatever and I didn't always call him and say "I am going to Walmart now" or "I am going grocery shopping now." Before DH would just call me at noon time and that would be that. It wasn't like I was hiding something but I just did things on my own time and when it worked for DS. Oh and I should say that DH wouldn't care where I go if I go out, it is just that I would feel like I need to answer to him if that makes sense.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine works from home and has for over the last three years. Working in an office is not an option for him as his actual office isn't in our city. Most of his company works from home. Yes we have people over for playdates and stuff. He shuts his door and he comes out for lunch.
You can pm me if you want to ask more questions.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I worry about second guessing myself. Before I would just make decisions and let the chips fall where they may, but with him home I would feel like I need to second guess myself. I mean DH and I agree on almost everything with parenting but for some reason I feel like I wouldn't be the same with him here.

I also worry about me making trips out and having to tell DH where I was going. I mean I don't go anywhere special or anything but I didn't when he is working I can do whatever and I didn't always call him and say "I am going to Walmart now" or "I am going grocery shopping now." Before DH would just call me at noon time and that would be that. It wasn't like I was hiding something but I just did things on my own time and when it worked for DS. Oh and I should say that DH wouldn't care where I go if I go out, it is just that I would feel like I need to answer to him if that makes sense.
That will happen at the beginning but it will get easier. DH knows what we are doing as we have discussions about schedule. He may actually find it harder as the work/home boundary does become very blurred. You may find he spends all his evenings working because he can.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
dublinmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH just moved out of his office 2 weeks ago and into the spare room we have here in the third level of the house. So far I'm not a fan. No matter how many times I explain daddy is working I constantly have a kid sneaking up there or they're making too much noise or whatever. It's really stressful for me.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DH does this but only 3 days a week. It was difficult at first but now I really like it. I just had to get in in my head that he was not really there. We just basically pretend he's not here. He works on the 2nd floor with the door closed and the kids will play in the playroom and still not try to get in there. I don't communicate with him any more than on the days he is in office. I say goodbye in the morning and he might come down to get lunch but he won't eat lunch with us or anything. He has no idea of my comings and goings. I sit on the couch if I want to sit on the couch. I don't say goodbye when I leave the house or tell him where I'm going. I don't go up there and see how he is managing his time or if he is working so I expect him to do the same and he does. The bonus is in an emergency he is there and his commute is great!

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
kelly_jeanie
Registered Users
seller

My DH works at home and I think it's more stressful for him than it is for me, lol. His schedule is 7-4 but he has some flexibility and since I WAH too I take advantage sometimes. It's too easy to ask for help with the baby or my DD or whatever. It is nice that I can duck out and leave the baby if he's napping, or run down to the bus stop to get my son, etc. But other than that he pays no attention to what I'm doing during the day and ideally I would pretend he's not there. His company pays for Internet, he gets his full hour for lunch (no travel time!), we save bunches on gas. It's awesome and I hope he never has to go back to an office. Right now he's working out of our 3rd bedroom but it's not really a spare, our house is tiny. We're working on finishing off the back room in our garage so he can have the benefits of leaving for the day but still have all the benefits of working from home. Only problem with that - trudging through Michigan winters to come into the house to go to the bathroom, lol!!