Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: SAHM with DH/DP that work from home...

My husband has worked from home for 3 years now. I'm actually getting tired of him being here, lol. At first, it was wonderful.

He had his own office upstairs and he pretty much holed up in there all day, only coming down for short bathroom breaks, lunch, etc. We had to make up some rules, like he couldn't criticize what I was doing with my time and I couldn't go interrupt him whenever I felt like it.

The downside to it was that my husband never felt like he could leave his work. It was just upstairs all the time, taunting him. This became a problem for us because he ended up working a lot of hours at night when he should have been spending time with the kids and me.

Eventually, our kids needed the office space he was using so he got kicked out. His company has a remote office close to us, and even though he does not work for that particular office (his main office is in another state), they let him use a desk there three times a week. The other two days he used one of the private rooms at the public library, but that didn't work too well because he couldn't reserve a space so it was first come, first serve. Other problems with the library were that he couldn't leave his laptop unattended to go to the bathroom so he always had to pack everything up and take it with him for just a pee break (and then risk losing the room), if he left for lunch and went back in the afternoon, there were never available rooms left, and the internet connection was slow. Eventually, he ended up working those two days at home, but in random spots in the house (the play area upstairs, the dining room, the living room, etc.) I hated that part. The local office finally has enough room for him to work there 5 days a week now, but I like that he has the flexibility to work from home when I have appointment and such.

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dh works from home sometimes. I hate it! We have a small house, and the kids don't understand that he is working. My dh is very melancholy and a complainer, so I hear a lot about how hard it is for him. I love having him around NOT working though
Old 09-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

We both work from home. There are good and bad things about it. We actually do the same job as well, managing and working for the same company. People think we are here just chillin' all day. They have no idea... never. off. the. clock. Like right now it is 9:26pm and I just took a break to get a snack, then back to work for a bit. I imagine that part may be hard for you/dh if he can't divide his time into certain hours. I think you just get used to him being home... and you appreciate the times when he is gone.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH is VP of a multinational finance corp and has the option to work remotely. Since DS was born he's been working from the office in our home as much as possible, except for meetings. Its extremely helpful sometimes since a lot of his day is in conference calls so he can hold and feed and change a calm baby while on mute. Sometimes though I feel like I can't seem to get housework done. Subconciously bc he is there, I do less... like its an excuse to lay around more. Counterintuitive, I know.

I do get how you feel about being watched. We had a fulltime nanny up until a few weeks ago bc I just hated having someone in the house with us all the time. Especially with her unsolicited criticsms and when she would do things wrong

Is there a way you can pretend he's not there? I mean its just you hubby and its your house.

Sent from my Droid using DS Forum
Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

my DH has worked from home for 6 years, he tends to work most when the kids are in bed. He has been there for all the important milestones. Makes life easy when you got a sick kid and need help etc.

not bothering him all the time is hard though