Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Seriously think nurse screwed up my 17P injection today :(

I had my first one last week. So I'm by no means an expert on them yet. Last week's stung around the injection site (I'm guessing from the medicine dispersing) which is fine. I figured it would. But that was it. Now today, I hurt all the way around that side of my body. I think she put it in too high. I know it's an intramuscular injection, and they go for the top outer quadrant of the muscle in your bum. That's where the first one was, on my right side. Now today's is much higher. It's up in the flabby lovehandle area I've got going on. I don't know why she did it there. I called them once I got home because of the pain, and they said they would have someone call me back. But basically, instead of it being down at the top of that muscle, it's more if I were to draw a line around my body at my belly button. That's where it would be. I can still see the bruise and welt from the bandage from last week's shot, so I know where it was. I'm just wondering if anyone has had an injection like this and it was that high up.

Advertisement

bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
craftinmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Seriously think nurse screwed up my 17P injection today :(

I have no idea but she may have hit a nerve or something.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

I had steroid shots in the bum with dd2 and had pretty much the same thing happen. I hate to tell you this but it was sore for like 2 wks. And I don't think that was where it was supposed to go, I think she was a bad aim, and she may have even known she screwed it up but was to embarrassed to say anything. As far as I know it doesn't really affect the medicine, maybe it doesn't disperse as well, I'm not 100% sure, this part of my schooling does not seem to be retained for me very well.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had steroid shots with my twins weekly and sometimes they hurt and sometimes they didn't. Sometimes they bruised and sometimes they didn't. It was just technique. I did notice ones that bruised more hurt less and vice versa.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

I've had progesterone shots starting at 12 weeks with this baby every two weeks and some weeks they hurt more than others and my hip will ache for days afterwards I get my last one this week!!!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
4ShoreRN
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Holy crap she gave you an IM the way you give a SBQ. In other words she gave you a shot meant to be given in a muscle in your fatty tissue. I'm not calling you fat. Everyone has a layer of subcutaneous tissue that cushions, protects, and insulates. It's obvious this nurse needs to be reeducated on either the position of the muscles for IM injections or that this shot is to be given IM.
4ShoreRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ShoreRN View Post
Holy crap she gave you an IM the way you give a SBQ. In other words she gave you a shot meant to be given in a muscle in your fatty tissue. I'm not calling you fat. Everyone has a layer of subcutaneous tissue that cushions, protects, and insulates. It's obvious this nurse needs to be reeducated on either the position of the muscles for IM injections or that this shot is to be given IM.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the replies ladies. The nurse I spoke with about it basically said it's possible she just went for a "different muscle" so I dunno. I will say that after the initial extra pain, it didn't hurt as long as the first. Like the achiness was gone a lot sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ShoreRN View Post

That's what I figured she did too.

bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote