Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
TripleMbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Reflux baby question

When did your baby get on meds? What meds are they on? How fast did they kick in? Are you also eliminating dairy?

We go in to the ped tomorrow for on going reflux issues and well misery loves company so I was wondering what yalls experiences have been?

Tia!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Reflux baby question

DDC here. DS has reflux and he was on Pepcid for a week - helped a little (he screamed less when he spit up, fussy less often) but not enough. He has been on Prevacid for about a month and a half now and its like he is a different baby - much happier, spits up less and when he does he laughs instead of screaming in pain and sleeps MUCH better. We saw a difference within a day, and more by the 2nd day of starting Prevacid. We forgot to give him a dose one day and noticed he was much fussier the next day and a half.

I still notice him "refluxing" and puking in his throat sometimes, but bc of the medicine it doesnt cause him to scream in pain. He is FF and on Similac Sensitive (low/no lactose).
Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
formunkyfrommommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i have just been cutting the dairy for about 2 weeks on and off to see if that is an issue and it seems to defintely help...no meds yet, we see a pedi in 2 weeks....she is 10 weeks tomorrow and we tried to get in earlier but only one pedi in town
Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Zantac at 4 weeks. Cut out dairy at 2 weeks. After keeping a food journal discovered eggs were bothering her too. After I cut those out she has been MUCH happier!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Everyone i know has to cut out so much from their diets or use special formula and everyones kids have reflux or tummy issues. It makes me wonder if this is a new thing or if babies were always like this? or did it just get grouped under "colic"
Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have known he had reflux from the day he was born.

He WAS a happy "non" spitter. for a couple weeks...around 3 weeks he started being mega fussy & by 5 weeks I had him in the pediatrician's.

He's been on Zantac since he was 5 weeks old & it started helping after about 3 days. BIGGEST change was noted after 2 weeks though.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
new_mommy78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie View Post
We have known he had reflux from the day he was born.

He WAS a happy "non" spitter. for a couple weeks...around 3 weeks he started being mega fussy & by 5 weeks I had him in the pediatrician's.

He's been on Zantac since he was 5 weeks old & it started helping after about 3 days. BIGGEST change was noted after 2 weeks though
This is us... Emme has been on Zantac since 3 weeks, and she is SO much happier and no longer in pain. However I am actually taking her back to the pedi on Monday to get her meds upped since she has grown SO much since being put on meds. My DS was put on Previcid and had a SEVERE reaction to it so I think we will still with Zantac or something other than Previcid for Emme
Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Faithsa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ellie was put on Zantac at 3 weeks The ped told me it takes 3-4 days to kick in. That was about when we started to see a difference. We got down to about an hour or so of fussiness instead of 3-5 hrs of crying at varying intensities. The last two-3 nights I've really noticed that she's a bit uncomfortable and might cry/fuss for maybe half an hour. She's 8 wks today. She's been having trouble with pooping.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
TripleMbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks everyone!

We got 15g of prevacid today and had the first dose this evening. We are hoping to see an improvement soon. It worked awesome for our son and I'm hoping to have the same luck this time around as well.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
Divalicious Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Good luck mama, hope it helps!