Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

I think I've Been Scammed on Ebay

Sorry, I am just upset and mostly need to vent. I purchased an item on ebay last night, only to wake up to an email from ebay saying the listing has been taken down for failure to follow listing guidelines. The email also said not to pay if I haven't yet, but I ALWAYS pay immediately after I buy something.

So after trying to email the seller, who apparently is in a different country, even though the listing said the seller is in Virginia, I have heard nothing. I paid with paypal, so hopefully they will reimberse me soon.

This has been an eye opening experience so far. I didn't realize that ebay could ysnk the transaction off of the website so fast. That's great for the other buyers that they are protecting from being scammed, but what about me and the 4 other buyers that purchased from this seller? Oh, and the seller even typed in a fake tracking number on paypal. and ebay said it could take a month to get my money back. So, basically, I am out of my money until then.

Has this happened to anybody else?

10/4 Update: Well, I feel like I may have jumped to conclusions when Ebay flagged the seller, because the tracking number from China appears to be working!

Here is what I found today on the USPS tracking system-

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
Processed Through Sort Facility, October 02, 2011, 9:34 am, GUANGZHOU, CHINA PEOPLES REP
Acceptance, September 30, 2011, 6:40 am, CHINA PEOPLES REP

The weird thing is, the sellers Paypal is in Belgium, but the package is shipping from China. Not only that, the ebay listing when I purchased the item said the seller is in Virginia???

Anyway, I am happy now as I think there is a good chance I will get my purchase after all! If that is the case, I am going to wait to escalate my report with ebay until the package it delivered. Thanks for reading my bizarre post!

Advertisement

Last edited by Shellyluwho; 10-04-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Update
Shellyluwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
craftinmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think I've Been Scammed on Ebay

Wow that is crazy!!! I'm sorry that happened to you! I tend not to buy of Ebay much anymore and am fortunate enough to not have something like that happen.
Did the person have any feedback?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!
Yes, they have 15 positive feedbacks, but when I looked at them closely, they were all feedback from others sellers on transactions purchased just yesterday. I just saw the 100% feedback and went for it. Plus, all of the items they purchased where really cheap, almost like they were trying to build up feedback as quickly as they could. Ugg...I feel like such an idiot. I am hoping that the 100% buyer protection will cover me, though. I filed a report this morning so hopefully ebay will take care of me.

And now on ebay the seller's ID says they are no longer an ebay member. I have had nothing but great experiences on ebay previously, but I sure will think twice before buying on ebay again.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So terrible! I've never heard of a listing pulled after the auction closed. I just wonder why some people put so much effort into screwing other people. I really hope you get your money back soon!
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! Me, too. DH is convinced that everything will be fine, so I am trying to relax, but sheesh. I must have been really naive. I can't even imagine trying to scam people like that.

Hopefully Paypal will refund me soon.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
ericanicole1111
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, that does stink!! I hate eBay! You will get your money back but it will take some time unfortunately
Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, we had something very similar happen a few years ago with DH's school books. We ended up out the money but then a few years ago, the ebay and paypal policies about that sort of stuff were much different. We were out a little over $200 plus DH still had to pay to get the books for school.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Yeah, we had something very similar happen a few years ago with DH's school books. We ended up out the money but then a few years ago, the ebay and paypal policies about that sort of stuff were much different. We were out a little over $200 plus DH still had to pay to get the books for school.
I am so sorry! That makes me sick that someone just made off with your money like that.

I hope that these people get caught before they can scam anyone else.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericanicole1111 View Post
Yeah, that does stink!! I hate eBay! You will get your money back but it will take some time unfortunately

Yeah, I just take keep thinking that what comes around goes around and that in the long run the scammer will not really profit from this. And in the grand picture, my little $46 ebay loss really isn't such a big deal. At least I have my beautiful little ones to cheer me up
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
THAT is ridiculous!!!

OP: Here's a thought... if PP won't give you your money back & you used a CC, call your CC company as soon as you get the statement (possibly even as soon as the transactions posts, which could be way sooner than when you get your statement depending upon your statement close date, etc.). THAT is why I ALWAYS pay via CC even when using PP... I have the added protection that if PP doesn't help, my CC will.

I have had a few scammers on eBay, but so far I have always gotten my money back... once I bought some bootlegged DVDs & they guy had the gall to say I had to pay return shipping to return the FAKE DVDs. Good thing for me he was stupid & hit the PP button that I had already returned the DVDs... had they tried to make me pay the return shipping for 20 something DVDs I was going to tell them I was going to Disney & turn them BOTH in. I was also going to my CC company, but like I said, the guy goofed up because he didn't understand English (which was apparent in our email correspondence) & I got my money back w/out having to do all that. Lesson learned!

Another time I bought CDs from a lady on eBay & she closed up shop... the witch was using SHOWER CURTAIN liners in the dipes & I found out because I ripped one apart & saw the liner... the dead giveaway was the hole for the shower curtain rings at the top of the dipe!! I got my money back then too... I used a CC.

I hope you get your $$ back STAT!!