Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
keowilliams
Registered Users
seller

Going w/out Health Ins. Am I Nuts?

Hi Ladies. We just had our newborn, and when we called our Health Ins. this week to confirm that he had been added to our plan, we found out that they are increasing our monthly premium by $400 just for the newborn bringing us to a grand total of $1,000 per month for our family of four - for a plan that is mediocre at best. Lord in Heaven - that's well more than our mortgage! We have to buy our Health Ins. privately since we can't get group ins. through my husband's work. Income-wise, we qualify for CHIP - our state's children's health coverage program - but the catch is that our children would have to go without health insurance for six weeks while we go through the application process.

At this point I am seriously debating the idea. I've never been one to seek out government handouts, but we live hand-to-mouth as it is on a single, small income. There is no room for a $400 increase in our health coverage. We've looked at other plans with lower premiums, but they also provide significantly less coverage. Basically they provide preventative care and immunizations and little else - anything extraordinary is going to result in thousands of dollars in medical bills.

Currently I'm trying to get a hold of my Ped's office to find out how much I can expect the baby's one month well visit to cost including any standard vaccines. The 3 year old is very healthy and only goes for annuals at this point so if the well visit costs less than $800, I might just take the gamble and hope nothing catastrophic happens in the next six weeks.

So am I completely nuts?

(As a side note - I would love to know what the Affordable Care Act actually did. Not looking to start a political debate in this thread, just feeling frustrated).

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Going w/out Health Ins. Am I Nuts?

I suggest getting the vaccines through the health dept. That way you can start the 6 weeks right away.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I hear ya, though 6 weeks without health insur. makes me really nervous.

That being said, my LO's one month wasn't a big expense. He had no vaccines and it was basically just a weight and overall checkup. All it cost me was my co-pay (though I have work insurance...)

Two months is when it starts getting hairy, cost-wise, if you vaccinate. So if you're gonna do it, I suggest doing it now. And just be careful, don't leave the house for a few weeks to decrease the risk of getting anything ;-)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keowilliams View Post
I've never been one to seek out government handouts
If you don't want the government handout I see no reason why you should feel the need to start in this situation. We went without insurance for a couple years and it probably cost us $800 in a year. We are all relatively healthy and brought our kids to the doc when they needed to see a doc. Doctors offer a discount to uninsured families of roughly 50% (since insurance companies actually pay LESS than 50% the bill amount anyway, the doctor is making the same, or more money that way anyway).

If you can afford $600/month for insurance, you can afford to pay discounted rates out of pocket.

ETA we do not vaccinate so I don't know the cost factor on that, ALSO adding that the roughly $800/year included a trip to the emergency room for my dd

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 09-29-2011 at 08:32 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
arihillfarm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
I suggest getting the vaccines through the health dept. That way you can start the 6 weeks right away.
Another vote for going to the health dept. for the vaccines. When my daughter was born almost 11 years ago, there was a vaccine that was in short supply (can't remember which one) and we had to go there. It was around $5 for the shot.

Sorry, I can't comment on the health insurance situation since I don't know what I'd do if I were in your shoes. We pay $200 every two weeks for pretty good coverage but that's taken out of DH's paycheck so we don't miss what we never had.

-Astrid
WAHM to DD 13, DS 6 and DS 3 and I'm a Magic Maker with Off to Neverland Travel, specializing in Disney! Ask me about how to get the vacation of your dreams (Disney or elsewhere) for the best price and service possible at no extra cost to you. "Like" my agency page on Facebook for the latest travel specials!
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
If you don't want the government handout I see no reason why you should feel the need to start in this situation. We went without insurance for a couple years and it probably cost us $800 in a year. We are all relatively healthy and brought our kids to the doc when they needed to see a doc. Doctors offer a discount to uninsured families of roughly 50% (since insurance companies actually pay LESS than 50% the bill amount anyway, the doctor is making the same, or more money that way anyway).

If you can afford $600/month for insurance, you can afford to pay discounted rates out of pocket.

ETA we do not vaccinate so I don't know the cost factor on that, ALSO adding that the roughly $800/year included a trip to the emergency room for my dd
We have been without health insurance since the begining of July because we couldn't get cobra and there is no such thing as short term insurance in NJ.

DH has spent $0.00 on medical care for himself.
DS health care has been $0.00 (though I need to get him a flu shot so that might bump him up soon)
I have had about $1400 in medical expenses (not including today when I went in for my port flush). I have had to have a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis, blood work and a doctor's visit. I also had to get 2 nuvarings so far for my hormone replacement therapy (need to get another one in about a week).

If you are a relatively healthy family I see no reason why it would be hard for you to be without health insurance for 6 weeks or even longer. Honestly DS needs his 3 year well visit but because I know he is normal, no immunizations are needed (other then flu shot) I don't see the point in NOT waiting till DH is working again. Because then if we have to move I will have a good reason to see a ped and establish him as a patient there. I know it has been VERY eye opening for me to self pay these last few months. Really makes me wonder how health care would be different if more people actually did this then just blindly doing insurance. I know I never took my insurance for granted before, but now I am going to question more tests , whenever I get health insurance again.

Oh and our health department in our city, immunizations are free regardless of how much you make. I got the H1N1 when it first came out there and didn't pay anything. DH was working and we had the health insurance that got me through the cancer at the time. It is paid through the taxes and honestly I see that is money well spent. Oh and I got my flu shot about a week ago and I didn't pay anything either (couldn't do DS at the time because they were not set up for peds).
Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

I went without insurance for about a year. I paid for all pediatrician visits, it didn't cost me much. I wasn't fully vaccinating and the kids hardly get sick and I'm not one to run to the dr for every sniffle anyways. If you get all vaccines and your kids are sick often then obviously it will cost you more out of pocket for visits. Paying for everything myself was way cheaper than what I was paying through BCBS ($800 a month) though.

I would just plan to pay for all visits which should be less than what you're paying for insurance now and hope nothing dramatic happens in the meantime. Just keep the kids away from germy places, keep them home as much as you can, wash your hands often, keep sick people out of your house and you should be fine.
Definitely call ahead and ask how much you should expect to pay just so you have an idea and can budget it.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree- go to the health department. Shop around with independent insurance companies and see if you can't get something more reasonable. Don't feel shame in using gov't benefits if you need them. You have to do what's best for your family. I would be nervous going 6 weeks without ins, but its not that long of a period. You can always talk to your docs about discounts if you need to go in during the lapse. But I wouldn't go much longer then that.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We go to the health department for all vaccines none of the local doctors do them anymore and send everyone over to the health dept, we pay for them there too, unless you are low low income or on mediCal.
I'd probably pay the $400 for the first month and look around to see if you can find a family plan for less than the $1000 you will be paying.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
starfairy1980
Registered Users
seller
seller

well...if ur going to go w/out insurance, def do it before the 'cold and flu' season starts. Even if u EBF, ur newborn may get sick. my EBF babe had an ear infection that lasted all winter, strep, a stomach virus, and..thrush... all in his first winter. it was MISERABLE. Could u do well baby checks thru ur pedi, and hold off on vaccines until the state sponsored health insurance kicks in? i couldn't pay 1000 for health insurance, either, and its just my son and i. That's also more than our rent!!!
starfairy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote