Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption

If you don't want the government handout I see no reason why you should feel the need to start in this situation. We went without insurance for a couple years and it probably cost us $800 in a year. We are all relatively healthy and brought our kids to the doc when they needed to see a doc. Doctors offer a discount to uninsured families of roughly 50% (since insurance companies actually pay LESS than 50% the bill amount anyway, the doctor is making the same, or more money that way anyway).

If you can afford $600/month for insurance, you can afford to pay discounted rates out of pocket.

ETA we do not vaccinate so I don't know the cost factor on that, ALSO adding that the roughly $800/year included a trip to the emergency room for my dd
This is us too.

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Going w/out Health Ins. Am I Nuts?

We do all vaxes at the HD, too, and theya re free. I have a high-income, too, but have never even been asked. They just ask what vaxes I am there for, and that's it! We have to buy our HI, too, and as far as I can see the only thing the healthcare act did was to increase premiums b/c in the future companies cannot raise them quite as much, and they will also have to keep people on who have bad health problems (which is good b/c they need insurance, too). That means ins. companies are over-shooting the cost they could potentially have to pay out, so they are rasing premiums for everyone. We were also looking to join a health ins. co-op, but those plans had to be put on hold b/c they do not yet know all the rules and legislation involved. I am not impressed at all. I am a small business owner and none of the health ins. laws have done anything to help us at all, we cannot afford is. for our employees either (have 10, so small business).

We do have catastrophic healthcare, the ded. is like $2500 each person, then 80;/20. We have had it for years and still pay for pretty much everything ourselves. This year I have had a baby (about 5K) and one DD has had to go to the Urgent care of pencil shavings in her eye (about $200). I took the baby to one well-baby visit and will probably not do any more til about 6 months unless I think something is wrong or she is sick. ONe appt. is about $150, so not worth it to go every 2 months IMO. We do vaxes and weight checks at the HD.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sure going 6 weeks without healthcare would be fine, but me myself would never do it. When I was 24 years old and living with my dh, I went to the dr for what I thought was heartburn and ended up with emergency heart surgery. I had fluid around my heart that was compressing my heart so much that it was stopping. There was no cause for this and my hospital bill was 30,000 and some change. Without health insurance, that would have put me in so much debt because who has 30k to spend on medical. I am giving this story because this is a typical "what are the chances it would happen" situation. And it happened to me.

I know people go without health insurance and the system really does suck sometimes, but just be careful.

Edit: I might have read your post wrong, are you just talking about letting your kids go for 6 weeks without health insurance, but you and dh will keep yours? That might not be so bad. I thought you meant you were dropping everything and then only covering the kids with the government stuff. That was sounding scary for you.

Last edited by MissyMia; 09-29-2011 at 02:19 PM.
MissyMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

In my state MI the health insurance went back 30 or 90 days (I forget now). We had use gov assisted program because my husband lost his job two weeks before my son was born due to missing so much work during my pregnancy ( I had a very high risk pregnancy) We hate the situation but given that our son was born early and tends to get a lot of colds and flus along with him having ear tubes put in recently we would never have been able to deal with all the costs. I would be nervous about going long term without health insurance more due to the risk of a serious illness needing long term or very expansive care. (However my husband and I are without insurance currently because we simply cannot afford it. It looks like all that is changing soon though which makes me VERY happy!)

Last edited by FerventlyDreaming; 09-29-2011 at 07:59 PM.
FerventlyDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would try to find a cheap insurance to have for 6 weeks. I remember when I switched jobs I had crappy insurance for a month, just in case stuff. Hospitals can't afford to be as nice as they used to be. If you have a serious hospital bill the hospital will come get the money from you. A coworker had money taken out of her account right after pay day from a hospital. The crappy insurance wouldn't help cover visits at all but would help incase something big happened.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I know it has been VERY eye opening for me to self pay these last few months. Really makes me wonder how health care would be different if more people actually did this then just blindly doing insurance. I know I never took my insurance for granted before, but now I am going to question more tests , whenever I get health insurance again.
I know I think making businesses pay health expenses has done a great disservice. Nobody knows that really costs what anymore. I have to meet a $2000 deductible before my insurance pays anything so I'm used to analyzing bills (after the $2000 they start paying 80%). Having insurance set up like this helped open my eyes too
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure in your state, but in my county I know that a baby is covered for 30 days at the hospital they were born at, so that would mean only about 2wks with no health coverage.
I've been without coverage and I never needed to see a doctor.
We rarely go to the doctor and do not vaccinate.
When there is something I'm not sure about, I have email and an advice nurse that is free, so that's what I use if I REALLY think they need to be seen.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would go 6wks without insurance if it meant getting my kids covered. We had to do that when we applied for Healthy Families. I was paying most of my PT paycheck to get insurance for our family and it was the crappiest insurance EVER and probably cost us more than it saved us. I just cancelled it, we waited 30 days and then applied. In the meantime I would just pay OOP at our dr's office. They charged $10 for each vaccine and $50 for the office visit for cash pay.
We went without insurance for a lot longer the 2 years before I got the PT job with crappy insurance. It was not fun. It was ok for me or dh, but when the kids were sick or hurt and we were low on cash it really sucked to have to pay it all OOP or put ourselves in debt to get seen. We should have just applied for Healthy Families years before but I didn't think we qualified, but we DID!
Anyway, I don't see reduced care healthcare for children a gov't handout. I have to pay a monthly premium and a co-pay for their ER or office visits and Rx's unlike Medicaid where you don't pay anything for any of your services.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband and I have no health insurance right now and I hate it. My kids have the state insurance. They did go without during the application process when my dh switched jobs. I hate going without health insurance. It isn't the normal expenses that worry me it is something big happening. We rarely use our insurance when we do have it. We don't just go to the doctor unless we really need to. We never abused it. T

There are medical things that can come up that could ruin us financially or make it impossible to be insured. I want to get private insurance but it is expensive and has a high deductable and dh doesn't think we should. I'm not happy with us not having insurance and I would do anything to change that. I been trying to get him to figure something out since he changed jobs but it been over a year now. If he gets a raise we are even more screwed because then all of us will be without health insurance. I worry every day over this.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 09-29-2011 at 05:36 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #20
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

Depending on your state laws, vaccines may be publicly financed. We had a gap with our insurance and paid out of pocket for one of our well-visits. We mentioned to the doctor that we planned to hold off on the vaccines until our insurance kicked in again, and that's when we found out they were already funded.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote