Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #21
Rodeo Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Going w/out Health Ins. Am I Nuts?

I think it would be ok to go without for the 6 weeks and either wait on the vaccines till they are covered or go to the health dept. Have you checked costs of just a catastrophic policy (for you and your DH)? Then you would be covered if you ever had some huge, weird thing happen that cost a ton. I know my mom had one for just my sister when she was in college and it didn't cost much.

Advertisement

Amanda, wife to Andrew, mama to Dale , Olivia , Wyatt and Nora . Baby #5 due in late April.
Rodeo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #22
OneDayAtATime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
First off, holy cow at the price of your insurance!! Is that a normal price for insurance?! Ours through DHs work is around 150/month for our family of 4. And its pretty good ins. I'm literally in shock at that price!

Secondly, I think it would be ok to go without for 6 weeks. DH and I went without ins for 3 years while we were in college.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #23
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Noah&Isaac View Post
First off, holy cow at the price of your insurance!! Is that a normal price for insurance?! Ours through DHs work is around 150/month for our family of 4. And its pretty good ins. I'm literally in shock at that price!

Ya I was paying $800 a month and that was like one of the cheapest through BCBS. I think her's is pretty darn high though. It's normal I think when you pay it on your own as opposed to through a job. We are self employed so have no choice.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #24
lauramaynot
Registered Users
seller
seller

If your going to drop the insurance all together, and you put that 600 your currently paying each month into a savings acct. In a year you would have 7200. Not enough for catastrophic, but definitely enough for preventative care in a year. Whatever you didn't use in that year would roll over to the next year and could build for more expensive treatments that may be needed as your kids get older (like braces or a broken bone or something). I would also look into a health savings account as another option to a traditional insurance plan.
Samuel Sluder 16 Sarah Rose 14 Adam Frank 13 Eliza Gray 6 Benjamin Elias 4 Alice Catherine 1 And #7 coming Aug 2013
lauramaynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #25
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
I know I think making businesses pay health expenses has done a great disservice. Nobody knows that really costs what anymore. I have to meet a $2000 deductible before my insurance pays anything so I'm used to analyzing bills (after the $2000 they start paying 80%). Having insurance set up like this helped open my eyes too

This is part of the reason why health insurance companies started making plans like this because of the over abuse of the system since people for the longest time just had their copays but really didn't know what it was costing them (them in the long run since more medical bills = higher insurance premiums eventually)

To the OP, I too would shop around, but 6 weeks shouldn't be too bad if you don't go to the dr's a lot.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #26
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Noah&Isaac View Post

Secondly, I think it would be ok to go without for 6 weeks. DH and I went without ins for 3 years while we were in college.

That's because employers usually pay part of the premium. Most consumers are shielded from the actual cost of both insurance and for health care in general.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #27
keowilliams
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your input, Ladies. I got a hold of my Ped.'s office, and their OOP rate for well visits is very reasonable - and I can get our vaccines through the state at their office without having to go to a separate clinic. The newborn is covered automatically under our policy for the first 30 days. We've already informed the insurance company that we won't be keeping him on the policy after that. We will also be removing our 3 year old from the policy, and then apply for the state coverage for the two of them.

To those who asked. My DH and I aren't cancelling our policy in its entirety. We will stay insured. And we're expecting a max 8 week gap in coverage for the boys until we get through the application process for the state coverage.

The price for private insurance seems outrageous, but when you have to buy your insurance as an individual you have no protection - the insurance companies can charge whatever they like. An Insurance company is happy to give a good deal to a big corporation for group insurance because they will bring hundreds and even thousands of paying members with them. Not so when its a very small business or an individual buying a policy - we have no leverage and no protection.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #28
keowilliams
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramaynot View Post
If your going to drop the insurance all together, and you put that 600 your currently paying each month into a savings acct. In a year you would have 7200. Not enough for catastrophic, but definitely enough for preventative care in a year. Whatever you didn't use in that year would roll over to the next year and could build for more expensive treatments that may be needed as your kids get older (like braces or a broken bone or something). I would also look into a health savings account as another option to a traditional insurance plan.
Yea, my husband and I were talking about a Health Savings Account. I don't know if its a feasible option for him and I or not. At this point, for the boys, I feel the very best option is state coverage. We fall well within the eligibility guidelines and it would cover them for everything - which is a huge relief for me. If we stay with our current plan or not for ourselves - we haven't determined that yet.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #29
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about looking into an HSA? Similar to catostrophic coverage. We had that for a little over a year and because you pay into it to use later you always have $ for dr's. We have had regular insurance for a year now but still have $3000+ in the HSA to use for any medical bills. I'm not really sure how it all works but to me it was better than nothing.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #30
EmilyA874
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think your nuts. I fyou can't afford the increase, then you can't afford it. I was uninsured from age 18 up until the beginning of this month, and DD was uninsured up until then as well. We didn't qualify for state medical (my DH made $5 over, $5 :shakehead: ) but to add DD and I on through his old job would have been $900 a month! Nearly half his paycheck at that time!
Anyway, health insurance is crazy $$. We had a homebirth and paid for it out ourselves and they saw DD up to just over 6 weeks old. There was also a program for a traveling county health nurse, see if you have a similar program. DD didn't go to the ped until she was 5 months old and we had insurance. It's a risk to go without insurance, but 6 weeks isn't too long. Just try to minimize the risks
Sorry that was long and possibly jumbled. Just trying to say you aren't crazy hope it all works out for you!
EmilyA874 is offline   Reply With Quote