Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
mommie2avery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
9 month old not sleeping

I think I might know why but I just wanted to see what you ladies think. I have twins. My girl sleeps through the night pretty much. My son lately has been getting up and last night he got up every two hours screaming at the top of his lungs. I went and got him so he wouldn't wake up his sister after the first time he woke up and screamed for about ten minutes. I put him in bed with us. (Actually I more like fell asleep in the bed and he happened to be in it with me.) He still woke up every two hours. He wanted to nurse which I let him but he wanted to be attached all night and I am not really producing now due to being pregnant.

My kids spend a week at my moms during the day and then a week at my hubby's mom. Hubby's mom keeps another baby (4 months old) my twins ( 9 months old) my four year old, another four year old except for half the day when she is in preschool and my 7 yr old step son when he gets out of classes. Mother-in-law doesn't enforce naps and when she does, she rocks them to sleep ( we just put them down and they drift off though the weeks she has them they demand to be rocked at night) Mother in law also says that the other baby wakes them up from naps.....

Could he be telling me that he isn't getting what he needs sleep wise from her house because when my mom keeps him, he sleeps. I tried to discuss with hubby but he gets all peeved at me because of course it is his mom. I don't think she is able to care of all those kids (my sis in law stayed with her tuesday and worked from her house instead of going in...)

What do I do ya'll? Do I suck it up and loose sleep?

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: 9 month old not sleeping

He could be over tired, or teething, or having a growth spurt, or getting sick... there are so many factors! But it's possible he's not getting enough sleep at MIL and just not as flexible as your DD....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
mommie2avery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is what I am thinking. He doesn't get enough sleep there because she doesn't either. They are cranky babies when they spend the week there. He always wants to comfort nurse when he sees me come in the door at either place. Addie is more like oh hey there you are mom and plays on.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

So he's definitely more attached to you. Hmmm... You could try a short nap when they get home and push bedtime back so they weren't over tired?? It's SOOOO hard with MILs, sounds like she's got a lot on her plate. If I were her I'd have all those kiddos napping at the same time for my sanity... Good luck!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
mommie2avery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She would never accomplish that because she insists on rocking them to sleep. I say put them in their pack-n-plays and let them cry a bit. She won't though. I'd have to have it for my sanity too. That is why I put the twins on a sleep schedule (which she never follows even though I gave her a copy of it) I was so set on getting them on one because with one and older kids it is hard enough but with two babies and other kids... yikes and then we are going to add in another one when the twins are 14 months old... yea she needs to start following the schedule. I guess she will figure it out one day..... Oh and the other night I had both the babies screaming on me. I called her and just let them scream into the phone. She hung up after a minute lol
Old 09-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
elvenmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well is it possible you get another caretaker for them? It sounds as if your MIL won't follow your routine and so your twins are totally confused. Also are they getting enough milk? You said you were pg so it's possible that your supply is drying up. I would try a full 6-8 oz bottle before bed. If your son is up all day he's going to be using up more calories and is going to need more food than if he has regular naps. HTH!!
elvenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
mommie2avery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I give them a bottle before bed. When they are at home they nap. Today he has been so cranky and tired that I am having to hold him for him to rest. I don't think I am totally dry because I pumped yesterday and I ended up with two ounces which is what I normally get. I can hear him swallow and all that good stuff when he nurses. But I still give him bottles as well. I think they are totally confused and over tired. My mom keep them next week so I should have stable babies. She puts them down and lets them go off to sleep themselves and they take normal naps. No one goings and wakes them up. I tried to talk to hubby about it but he got mad because of course it is his mom but she isn't taking care of them like she needs to but he doesn't see it that way, he sees it as me attacking him mom. He should realize the difference in them when they aren't at her house but he of course doesn't.... Which I think I am going to point out this week.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
TeaSquare
Registered Users
seller

Babies and toddlers thrive with routine. I think you're right for thinking that it has something to do with your MIL breaking their nap routine. On top of that she's rocking the kids to sleep, which is not something you're doing. I don't think it has anything with your milk production. My daughter is two and a half and I've weaned her. When she misses her nap, she wakes up several times at night crying while still sleeping. Also babies fall asleep easier from one nap to the next, not when they're exhausted.

Some babies have an easier time sleeping than others, that's why your twin girls are not waking up in the night like your son.

If your hubby feels that you'll just attacking him, I suggest you let him read some of information online that backs up what you're suggesting to him. There's a lot of info online about how to improve your baby's sleep, and it totally goes in line with what you're telling him.

Last edited by TeaSquare; 10-02-2011 at 12:27 PM.
TeaSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:

I am actually having the same problem with my son, and am pregnant also, and really want him on a predictable schedule. He use to be on one, then all of a sudden stopped. He will sometimes sleep through the night, and only wakes up once, or wakes up every 2 hours, takes 2 hour naps, or just 30 mins..its never constant. I hope you find your answers. My Dh some days just lets him fuss for like 5 minutes and he will go back to sleep.. but I can't do it..lol
Old 10-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
themrshunt
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

All I can say is . My 9 month old has never slept well or on a schedule. I can't imagine doing it with two!
themrshunt is offline   Reply With Quote