Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
gghmommy
Registered Users

puree to solid...

how do you do it? We've only done puree and when I try to mix in some that's just squished with a fork my baby gags, so I figure it's just not time. Do I just keep offering like this every week or so?

Advertisement

gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: puree to solid...

I would try giving chunks of soft food. Like dry cheerios one at a time or banana pieces - not mashed up. It will help your baby get used to chewing.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
creative*genius
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug2003 View Post
I would try giving chunks of soft food. Like dry cheerios one at a time or banana pieces - not mashed up. It will help your baby get used to chewing.
Ditto this. You could also try thickening the purees so that it takes on a more solid form. I think the chunks in the purees confuse them cuz they kinda "drink" the puree and you can't drink chunks! I'd try what the PP said.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

also, the gag reflex is gonna happen a little no matter what. So, do what the PP's suggested, but remember that gagging is not choking. They do need to learn to cough up, etc.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
also, the gag reflex is gonna happen a little no matter what. So, do what the PP's suggested, but remember that gagging is not choking. They do need to learn to cough up, etc.
You didn't list your baby's age, but if LO is sitting up and has been eating puree for at least two weeks, then I would ask is LO Gagging or Choking. There's a big safety difference. Gagging, spitting food out, etc is ok. Not breathing... not ok. If LO is just gagging on food, I'd keep going with soft chunks and small pieces (cheerios). If LO is CHOKING (like you're having to stick your finger down the throat and pull out food) then I'd wait and retry once a week.

I don't know your baby's age or how you feel about dairy, but mine liked cottage cheese (pasteurized milk only) in the early stages of solids (I don't start until after 6 mo)