Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #61
cowboymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Inappropriate place to NIP?

This is such a hard issue for me. I am just beginning to NIP and I don't have alot of support, unfortunately. Most of my family thinks I should pump bottles to take in public or go to the car as well. I have tried to talk to them about it but they just don't get it and I am tired of trying to defend it so I just don't even talk to them about it now. I am doing my best to NIP when I can anyway, because I think it is so important to start breaking down these boundaries. I *know* that I am not doing future generations any favors everytime I "take it to the car" and I am trying to remember that. Within the past couple of weeks I have nursed on an outing at the zoo, and at the movie theater

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #62
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Uhhh, why is breastfeeding in a bank inappropriate????? I guess I don't really see the logic there, personally.

The only time I've ever excused myself to the car to nurse is when we were at a Church fundraiser with LOTS of elderly people who would probably have been uncomfortable seeing me breastfeeding. I've nursed in the car before, but just because I happened to be in it when DD got hungry (lol).

I NIP all over the place. Malls, stores, post office, bank, coffee shops....and I even play peek-a-boob during church service (but I sit in the very back row, anyways).
Old 04-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #63
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think your dh needs to chill out...you did the right thing. Your baby was hungry and your met your baby's needs. Good for you mama!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #64
mybsting
Registered Users

i would have nursed (and have) during the appointment i just pop ds into the sling and continue talking and making eye contact as we get settled. no one has so much as batted an eye (except, oddly enough, the ped when dc #1 was about 6 months old. he was so flustered, he couldn't get out of the room fast enough!)
mybsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #65
sivan
Registered Users

there are no inappropriate places! maybe some places you should be more discrete than others, but no totally off limits places IMO. I was once asked to leave a dressing room i went to to nurse in target. boy was i embarrassed- and to this day i wish i had called the manager!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #66
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

I would have nursed during the appt too. Iím too busy to have to sit there and Ďjustí nurse if I can do something else while I nurse during the day. First thing in the am and bedtime nursing, Iíll sit and gaze lovingly at dd (esp now that sheís so much older and I know this time is short) but for random feedings during the day, I try to combine stuff.

:-)

Now, the flip side is I have nursed in my van. Lots in fact. Its comfy. I have a changing station there, water, I can put my feet up, listen to the radioÖ. But thatís assuming the weather is good and Iím in the mood. I'd never nurse my dh's sedan!
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #67
laneylue+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DD I would have gone to the car. I wouldn't NIP with her at all ever because DH would tell me not to. It was one reason I stopped breastfeeding early. I have always regretted it so I made a promise to myself that I will feed this baby wherever I am. It is still embarrassing for me sometimes but I do it anyway.

I also feel it's my personal duty to help normalize breastfeeding in public. I am very pro-NIP and I decided that I have to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.
laneylue+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #68
a_budravage
Registered Users
seller

I nursed my littlest dd while I was opening her account.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:13 AM   #69
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

I would NIP in the bank! Good for you!

Tara
Old 04-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #70
jessie_m_d
Registered Users
seller

The only place I feel that it's inapropriate to NIP is in the church pew. *JMO* I would feel really weird if I distracted someone else in church. The church is the one place that I don't want to risk offending anyone no matter who's "right"
jessie_m_d is offline   Reply With Quote