Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #71
jessie_m_d
Registered Users
seller

Re: Inappropriate place to NIP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxflame88 View Post
And for the record, I don't believe in using a blanket or other cover, either. I personally see NOTHING discreet about it. A cover just SCREAMS "look at me, I'm nursing a baby!" Most people in public (other than other moms) never know I am NIP.
Only to people who have nursed or been around nursing moms a lot. My husband never notices when a mom is NIP when the baby is in a sling or covered with a blanket. I see it all the time, and he was like "awwww... look, she's got a sleepy baby" Or I used to use the bench by the pharmacy in Target all the time, and the pharmacist was always trying to help me, lol. I never did tell him I'm just there to nurse the babe. Now if DH sees a woman NIP with her breast showing, he gets upset. But then he's been exposed to the kinds of women who pull their shirt up over their shoulder to nurse in a military instalation. No man wants to walk in to get their deployment orders and come face to face with a boob, lol. Litterally, I guess she was headed out and nearly ran him over. Set a bad experience for him. He's never really gotten over it.

Advertisement

jessie_m_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #72
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie_m_d View Post
Only to people who have nursed or been around nursing moms a lot. My husband never notices when a mom is NIP when the baby is in a sling or covered with a blanket. I see it all the time, and he was like "awwww... look, she's got a sleepy baby" Or I used to use the bench by the pharmacy in Target all the time, and the pharmacist was always trying to help me, lol. I never did tell him I'm just there to nurse the babe. Now if DH sees a woman NIP with her breast showing, he gets upset. But then he's been exposed to the kinds of women who pull their shirt up over their shoulder to nurse in a military instalation. No man wants to walk in to get their deployment orders and come face to face with a boob, lol. Litterally, I guess she was headed out and nearly ran him over. Set a bad experience for him. He's never really gotten over it.
i'm glad my dh is not the only one who feels this way.

i cover with a modest mums cover out of respect for men like my DH and yours. i'd rather stick out like a sore thumb (athough i don't leave anywhere to feed my DD) then cause a problem for true gentlemen.

**ducking tomatoes**
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #73
andi2284
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to hate NIP, but I've gotten used it. If I want to have a life, I have to nurse DD in public at some point. There's still times I will go to the car or something more private, but I'm getting over that. The only place it's truely innapropriate is in the bathroom. I don't use a cover either. I cover myself with my shirt so you can't see anything. Blanket or not, there's a chance at least one person looking at you will notice you are breastfeeding. I do feel a blanket draws more attention though. When I went to visit DH's family, I didnt' use a blanket and my SIL did and everyone seemed to notice her before they did me.
Andrea - Mama to 3 beautiful little girls, Abigail (8), Anna (5), Alexis (3) and baby #4 due in April 2015

My Etsy Shop: Two Little Monkies
andi2284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #74
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post

I guess my question is, would you have fed your hungry baby right then and there, or put him back in his car seat, carried him out to the vehicle and done it there?
I would go to the car if it was DH with me (he's real weird about that) but if by myself I would have done it there. Heck I have even BF standing in line at the DMV
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #75
Mommy2Nick&Luke
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh i would so be feeding right there i dont go out to the car to feed if im some where......i see no reason in going some where else to bf my baby.....i just take a blanket with and cover up so no one sees my exposed boob.....but thats just me dh is always with me on bf this time around since with nick we had such problems and i could only bf for a month or so
Old 04-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #76
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally would have fed the baby then and there. It isn't inappropriate. Makeing the child eat some place cold and cramped is much more inappropriate.

I know that if my DH had said that, I would have SO whipped it all the way out :wink: lOl I talk big . . . but I would have descretly nursed in complete protest to the DHs comment. . .
The midwife considers the miracle of childbirth as normal, and leaves it alone unless there's trouble. The obstetrician normally sees childbirth as trouble. If he leaves it alone, it's a miracle.-Sheila Stubbs
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #77
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would have totally fed my babe right then and there too! My DH doesnt mind when I NIP, but my mother makes comments similar to your DH's.. she's seriously uncomfortable with it (she bottle fed all 3 of us). And I HAVE to cover up if NIP w/ her (normally I dont). Sorry your DH isnt more supportive.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #78
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

I once read a signature of another mama on DS.. It said " If NIP makes you uncomrotable then pls feel free to cover "your" head and finnish "your" meal in the bath room "

I personally got a kick out of this. And I do agree 110% with it. And IME, I would have not even waited until the meeting was over. LOL I would have nursed my DD right there in the middle of it all, and not even thought twice about it. I do however cover up well. I can't honestly say what I would do if any of my DDs didn't do well with being covered. But to say the least you are in the right for NIP!! You GO GIRL!! And next time DH says soemthing liek that, I would come back and say well I don't feel cmofy with you scraching your balls in public. ( all men do this) It's almost as natural as BFING

Anyways GL to you mama, and keep up the good work!!
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #79
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by togg_mama View Post
i'm glad my dh is not the only one who feels this way.

i cover with a modest mums cover out of respect for men like my DH and yours. i'd rather stick out like a sore thumb (athough i don't leave anywhere to feed my DD) then cause a problem for true gentlemen.

**ducking tomatoes**
Hmmm. Well I happen to be married to a wonderful True Gentleman that knows the absolute beauty of breastfeeding. I would never cover up, nor would he expect me to. Why would I make my child hot and uncomfortable for *other people*? My child is my main concern and priority.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #80
Nikkis_Little_Ladies
Registered Users
Formerly: Nikk25_3
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by napua View Post
Hmmm. Well I happen to be married to a wonderful True Gentleman that knows the absolute beauty of breastfeeding. I would never cover up, nor would he expect me to. Why would I make my child hot and uncomfortable for *other people*? My child is my main concern and priority.
I only cover up for my own insecurtities (sp). Yes I know it's rediculious of me, but I would only feel comfy not covering up around family or close friends. And I fine with being exposed on DS obviously look at my pic.. lol .. But in public.. I just don't know why, but I feel more comfy covered up. Not bc I think its inapropriate at all.
Nikkis_Little_Ladies is offline   Reply With Quote