Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Talking Calling all creative mama's!!!

So I work at a daycare who takes in school aged children from 5-14 (mostly 5-10yo though) after school and this winter we are looking for things to do with them. Need ideas!!! They are there from 3:30-5 mostly, but some until 6. Total amount of kids usually 9-12 and on snow days usually 14 or more!

Setting: daycare is in a church. They have classrooms (not huge), and then the sanctuary and a big room that we can use. We can use the kitchen area but cannot let them cook anything that requires the stove/oven. We have board games ofcourse and such but want do try to do different things with them on different days to keep it fun!

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
loving my family
Registered Users

Re: Calling all creative mama's!!!

Are you allowed to paint & do crafts like that? If so that would be fun but it can be messy that's why I asked.
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Tweedledum
Registered Users

I would set it up so that they have to do their homework and 20 minutes of reading before doing anything else, but then I'm a teacher.

It seems that there should be an active game option for the kids who have lots of energy: relay games, four square, hopscotch, jump rope, hula hoops, basketball/volleyball, parachute games.

For arts and crafts, the kids can do beading, origami, sculpting with clay and playdoh, making paper flowers with tissue paper and pipe cleaners, and if someone knows how, they can even teach crochet or knitting? And painting has already been mentioned, but you can also do drawing lessons (using the Draw Write Now series if you're really artistically challenged).
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedledum View Post
I would set it up so that they have to do their homework and 20 minutes of reading before doing anything else, but then I'm a teacher.

It seems that there should be an active game option for the kids who have lots of energy: relay games, four square, hopscotch, jump rope, hula hoops, basketball/volleyball, parachute games.

For arts and crafts, the kids can do beading, origami, sculpting with clay and playdoh, making paper flowers with tissue paper and pipe cleaners, and if someone knows how, they can even teach crochet or knitting? And painting has already been mentioned, but you can also do drawing lessons (using the Draw Write Now series if you're really artistically challenged).

We do allow them homework time. We are just not allowed to help them. We can read the instructions and that's it. This is per all the teachers wishes. The active games option sounds like a good idea!