Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:
Is it normal for BF babies to be "extra" clingy?

It seems that my 1 month DD is extra special clingy! You cannot set her down for more than 5-10 mins in a stretch and she will start wailing until you pick her up and hold her. This makes dinner time really fun... lol

At night she cannot sleep alone, I use a Snuggle Nest co-sleeping "box" next to me in bed and Is till have to have my arm inside it to comfort her.

She pretty much hates her pacifier too, although I'm doing my best to get her to develop a taste for it. lol

I DO have some baby wearing stuff, a couple of ring slings (thanks friends!) and a Baby Hawk but those sorta things I've only ever used in "motion." Sitting down and resting while wearing isn't really ideal and she hates it anyways. I have to be moving if I'm wearing her. (Plus I'm still working on that learning curve that the ring slings have! LOL)

So I'm at a loss, while I DO believe in FIO/CIO in much much older infants (9m-12m range) I certainly do not believe in it for such a tiny baby. So I can't let her cry at all right now which leaves me either constantly holding her, feeding her, or trying to sooth her.

This is nothing at all like my DD1 who was a BF/Supplement baby who could be set down and loved her lamb swing etc.

Help! LOL Is this a phase or do I have a cuddle bug?

Advertisement

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it normal for BF babies to be "extra" clingy?

Sounds pretty normal to me for that age, cannot comment if it only applies to bf children since I bf both of mine. But my son was the same and he is pretty independant at 3.5 years old (bf for 30month). And my 12 week old is like your baby, it is getting better though as she is growing Enjoy, it will not be like this forever!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds normal to me. Do you have a swing you could put her in for a little bit? I couldn't have lived without my swing. Well, I could have but it sure made it a lot easier. My dd got less clingy the more she could do for herself. So sitting up, then rolling, then crawling and finally walking, different things to look forward too.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

She hates it. LOL

This is her looking incredulous inside it...

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
mandasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had one daughter who was like that, and was for a looooong time, and one daughter who, at that age, didn't need much attention at all! (She still got it, though. ) It's probably just your baby's personality.

I did breastfeed both of them. (Still bf the younger one.)
mandasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of my kids are what dr. sears refers to as high needs babies, so this sounds entirely normal to me. They were breastfed. I found that if I wore them until they fell asleep, then put them in a super cozy bouncy seat, that it helped alot for getting time to myself. Just be sure your SO is helping, even if it seams that they can't calm them down... you need your time too mama.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
My first was like that. 5-10 minutes would have been glorious on a good day. Once she could sit independently her whole world changed and she became super independent.

My second is completely different. She preferred snuggle, but could easily be sat down to entertain herself.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

All mine were bf but ds was like that. I had to hold him to sleep, if I put him down he would wake up and bug out. With two other kids to take care of it was torture. It's probably just her personality. I pray this next baby is not like that, I might have to hire a live in nanny/housekeeper lol.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One of mine was like that, I soon discovered the more I tried to fight it and put him down, the worse it got. So I surrendered to motherhood, I held him and wore him and nursed him and he and I both relaxed and I was able to put him down for longer and longer.
The other son would let me put him down so long as he was well fed, but if he was awake he wanted up close and snuggly. I just went with the flow and it made for a much more relaxed and easy life.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
sarchamar
Registered Users
seller

All three of mine were exclusively BF, and I had one clingy baby (my middle child) and two who really weren't clingy at all. My clingy baby was like that from birth. It's also quite obvious now, at 5 years old, that she would have been clingy no matter how she was fed. People still tried to blame it on BF'ing even though I had done nothing different with my first one, though. Then my third came along and was super-independent from Day One, even though I nursed him the longest.

Your baby is still really young, so there's a chance as she gains skills she'll gain more independence. Hang in there!