Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #21
MyChubs0831
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is it normal for BF babies to be "extra" clingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESMama View Post
Clingy=bonded=exactly how babies should be IMO
My opinion too! And for a 1-mon old it's pretty much normal, and the more secure/safe/attached they feel the more comfortable they will feel later on being independent. Babies are meant to be with their Mama's. And plus, at that age, pretty much all they want to do is nurse anyway. This time will pass so quickly & you will miss it.

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #22
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

ok ... wanted to come back, and say that my clingy DS (I really think he is/was high needs) LIVED in a carrier almost literally for the first 12-18 mos of his life. He was in that dang thing all the time.

He felt safest, happiest, and most entertained when he was stuck to me like glue.

I'd peel him off for naps and showers, but more often than not, he was RIGHT.NEXT.TO.ME. for all of those, too. He just loved his mama

He is still very much like cling wrap. They must share a chromosome or something.

He can't sleep until I tuck him in (He's in his bed, clicking his tongue waiting for his nap time tuck in right now...), he cries and runs to me, he gets told "no" by me and it's an instant melt-down, he's super sensitive to ANYTHING I say or do. If I cry, he runs in to "help", if I sit down, he sits on top of me, if I eat, he wants some, too.

My DD - who is 19 mos older than he is - is NOT this way, and never was. She does her own thing. She uses her imagination and trots off talking to toys while DS is glued to me.

As far as nursing - DS did end up nursing WAAAAAY more but it was primarily b/c there was nothing else he really wanted except to be with me all the time and to nurse. Toys? Meh. Cartoons? So what. Daddy? Nah. Mommy and boobies. His whole entire life was mommy and boobies until he turned 2.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #23
KandFsMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: keirinsmomma
seller

My Mood:

Sounds normal! I planned on being pretty much on the couch or in bed for the first 2 months, nursing and snuggling. You will someday miss this!

Old 09-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #24
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I just think it's normal for babies to be clingy. My 3rd baby was my most independent at the youngest age--and he's the first one I breastfed.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #25
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandFsMomma View Post
Sounds normal! I planned on being pretty much on the couch or in bed for the first 2 months, nursing and snuggling. You will someday miss this!

Agree! Something that was helpful for me was "The Wonder Weeks" book. There are certain weeks where babies are doing a lot of developing where they exhibit behaviors like this. My son has followed it almost exactly. When I know we're in a wonder week, I can better handle the clinginess because I know that it will get a little easier once that development is sort of over. He is still quite a clinger though.

DS is about 4 months now, and while I still can't put him down for a nap, he doesn't sleep in the Snuggle Nest anymore (I miss it, though.) He sleeps through the night in the Arms Reach Co Sleeper. He hangs out in it while I do stuff. He plays by himself on the floor.

Things that were helpful for me at the stage you're in is figuring out how to nurse and eat at the same time. I sat cross legged in bed with a plate in front of me and him on boppy on my lap. Getting him to sleep in the Ergo carrier (he still naps in it.) Getting a rhythm to the day and sticking to it. Having the same nighttime routine. Making changes SLOWLY. Not sure where I read it but someone said you have to change your life about 90% to baby's needs, and ask them to come the rest of the 10%. I found it was easiest to change my thinking and expectations rather than try and force DS into what I thought he should be doing.
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #26
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All my babies were pretty clingy at that age. I think it's less of the fact that your baby is BFing, and more of the fact that they are just really insecure when not with mama at this age. My slings and my Moby wrap were LIFE SAVERS with DS2 and DS3. DS3 is 19 months and still loves to hang out in his mei tie when we're out and about.

It'll get better, I promise. I always say.. enjoy it. I know it seems tough, but there WILL come a day when you try to hold your LO and he will fight against it and want down.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #27
keowilliams
Registered Users
seller

My 3 year old was like that...to the extreme, but I don't know that it had anything to do with BFing. He was high needs, colicky and definitely a cuddle bug (still is). So far our newbie is the exact opposite and also breastfed. Though the newbie has very few awake times yet. When he is awake, he's less inclined to be in the bouncer. So who knows how he will be in a month.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #28
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
All 4 of mine were like that. It can be frustrating, but its sweet. My dh would hold the baby at dinner so I could eat, then I would take him. I got good at faking them out if when they were asleep I would lay them on my bed next to my pillow as if it were me. Worked 90% of the time

Sent from my DROIDX using DS Forum
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #29
brennan
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds like my dd, who yes was bf'd. She was a super dee duper clingy baby. I spent months in bed/on the couch with her because I couldn't do anything else. We went for lots of walks with her in the carrier and she lived in the carrier. My sister just had a baby, about 2 months ago and she is a mellow, wants to be put down, sleep on her own baby. Totally blows my mind. She is also bf'd.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #30
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan
Sounds like my dd, who yes was bf'd. She was a super dee duper clingy baby. I spent months in bed/on the couch with her because I couldn't do anything else. We went for lots of walks with her in the carrier and she lived in the carrier. My sister just had a baby, about 2 months ago and she is a mellow, wants to be put down, sleep on her own baby. Totally blows my mind. She is also bf'd.
Me too! I felt strapped to the couch!

My FF DD was easy going, but my EBF baby is Dr. Sears defined High Needs Baby. We co-sleep and she's 15 months old. I cannot get her to sleep without her boobie. My DH is convinced it is b/c I EBF'd her.