Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #31
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it normal for BF babies to be "extra" clingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliabell View Post
Agree! Something that was helpful for me was "The Wonder Weeks" book. There are certain weeks where babies are doing a lot of developing where they exhibit behaviors like this. My son has followed it almost exactly. When I know we're in a wonder week, I can better handle the clinginess because I know that it will get a little easier once that development is sort of over. He is still quite a clinger though.

DS is about 4 months now, and while I still can't put him down for a nap, he doesn't sleep in the Snuggle Nest anymore (I miss it, though.) He sleeps through the night in the Arms Reach Co Sleeper. He hangs out in it while I do stuff. He plays by himself on the floor.

Things that were helpful for me at the stage you're in is figuring out how to nurse and eat at the same time. I sat cross legged in bed with a plate in front of me and him on boppy on my lap. Getting him to sleep in the Ergo carrier (he still naps in it.) Getting a rhythm to the day and sticking to it. Having the same nighttime routine. Making changes SLOWLY. Not sure where I read it but someone said you have to change your life about 90% to baby's needs, and ask them to come the rest of the 10%. I found it was easiest to change my thinking and expectations rather than try and force DS into what I thought he should be doing.

Gets harder when you have a 21 month old running around too. I could go 90% with my first DD lol. This one not so much!

Advertisement

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #32
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support. I busted out my BabyHawk today while we were out shopping and it made life so much better. I fell in love with it again. She liked it too.

The ringslings...I'm still having trouble with.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #33
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well... miranda was a unclingy baby, and she was FF.. both the boys are clingwrap and they have both been BF. HOWEVER.. Jake wouldn't let ANYONE hold him but me, and Levi is okay with the swing for periods of time and DH/my mom.. My friend tracy he never even seen before, and his cousin Shawnae. Jake would of never been okay with those people. He didn't even let DH hold him without screaming until he was around 3 months old.

I don't think it's the BFing, I think it's just the personality.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #34
TeaSquare
Registered Users
seller

I also think it has nothing to do with BFing. Have you read Happiest Baby on the Block? I thought I knew babies until I read that book. Basically newborns are used to the womb environment. They like to be warm and cuddled. I know it's impractical to hold your baby 24/7, so when you need a break, maybe trying swaddling her or carry her in a baby carrier when you have to do chores, etc. I find my baby sleeps well when I place her in the Sleepy Wrap.
I hope you find something that works for you. All babies are different...
TeaSquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #35
themrshunt
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My 9 month old is still clingy, it might even have gotten worse. When he was little like that he pretty much was held or in the swing. Now he just has to tough it out sometimes.
themrshunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #36
themrshunt
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBearSquared
She hates it. LOL

This is her looking incredulous inside it...
Btw she is adorable.
themrshunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #37
NiNi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamilynn84
Both of my kids are what dr. sears refers to as high needs babies, so this sounds entirely normal to me. They were breastfed. I found that if I wore them until they fell asleep, then put them in a super cozy bouncy seat, that it helped alot for getting time to myself. Just be sure your SO is helping, even if it seams that they can't calm them down... you need your time too mama.
This. My pediatrician actually referred to my youngest as 'the most extreme high needs baby she's ever seen.'

To say its fun is an understatement.

sent from my droid x...excuse all typos and autocorrect!
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #38
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

From my experience, BF had nothing to do with it. Both my boys were/are EBF. DS1 was schedule fed, rarely worn, often held. He would not sleep in his crib for a long time, would not tolerate me leaving the room without him (taking the dog out to potty from a 2nd story apartment in February was fun), and had bad colic starting about 4 months. DS2 is fed on demand and worn when we go places, but otherwise spends a lot of time rotating between my lap, the floor, the swing.... He's 3mo. I can leave him on the floor while I go get laundry or make DS1 and I breakfast or get dressed... He is the happiest, most easygoing baby EVER.

So from my experience, the BFing is not it. Just like some people are more needy than others, babies vary too.

Any typos are probably a combination of my phone and poor proofreading!