Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

Nursing twins

How hard is it? I've successfully nursed 2 of my 3 babies for almost a year each. We just found out I'm cookin' two and I'm panicking over lots of different things. This being one of the big ones.

So, honestly- is it that much harder than nursing one baby?

Advertisement

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nursing twins

I haven't nursed twins, but know people who have. It just depends on the babies, like any baby. If they latch and eat well, you can even get special nursing pillows to nurse them at the same time in the football hold. Lots of people I know will alternate between 1 baby nursing and 1 bottle at each feeding, too. I think if you start from the beginning and are committed that supply wouldn't be an issue... good luck!!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

I nursed my twins exclusively for one year, and introduced whole milk then. (I didn't start solids until 6 months.) I am still nursing them each 3-4x/day at 15 months old.

I read "Oh Yes You Can Breastfeed Twins." to get myself ready. Once they got the hang of nursing I started using a twins pillow. I've used both the EZ2Nurse Twins pillow and the My Breast Friend Twins pillow. The My Breast Friend is hands down the better one. I found bfing easier going out, because you don't have to worry about packing all that food x2.

The best thing you can do right now is make yourself healthy and make sure you do your best to go full term. Getting the babies delivered healthy is a big key in making bfing easier. My twins were born at 38 weeks and didn't have to go to the NICU. I was so focused at going full term, because bfing was so important to me (nursed 1st child to 2 years.)

Eat 3000 calories a day, eat 2-4 eggs a day (they keep the sac strong.), drink an Ensure a day. I also had a fruit smoothie every day. I ate breakfast, AM snack, lunch 1, lunch 2, PM snack, dinner 1, dinner 2. I drank at least a gallon of water. I cut out ALL caffeine. The only caffeine I had (excluding what is found in food like dark chocolate.) the entire pregnancy was 3 cans of coke. I just ate as health as I could. My doctor recommended delivering at 37 weeks (c/s because both were breech.), I asked for 1 more week. I was worried about Wimpy White Boy Syndrome, so he agreed and had me come in 2x for BPP and non stress tests the last week. I'm glad I asked for the extra week. My boy (boy/girl twins) had a hard time breathing at first and came close to going to the NICU. He would have had to go if it was a week earlier. But I got to nurse them both as soon as we got to recovery, and they were both at birth weight when we left 4 days later!

Hypnobabies was AWESOME in teaching me ways to stay healthy and they have an awesome Twin Pregnancy Affirmations and hypnosis tracks too. Those reminded me to eat lots of protein and that my body was doing it's job. I loved hypnobabies.

Last edited by proudmama4; 09-30-2011 at 05:32 PM.
proudmama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say the main thing that makes it harder is keeping yourself healthy. At 15 months old, my body is really feeling it. I just last week cut them down to 3 nursings a day max, and it has helped. I lost all the 65 lbs I gained with them and then some. I struggle to keep weight on and I often feel weak and worn out. But when I focus on eating enough and drink my Ensures and Larabars and such, I feel a lot better. And be prepared to drink a ton. I'm always thirsty and my pee is still yellow despite drinking water all day. (tmi???) E-mail me if you have any questions or want to pick my brain.

My favorite nursing them together (I stopped at about 11 months - they were getting too big to handle together.) is when they hold hands in between my breasts. It's the sweetest!

Last edited by proudmama4; 09-30-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
mommie2avery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nursed mine until recently because of pregnancy and I'm starting to dry up But it wasn't bad at all. I lost weight quickly after having them. I feed them at the same time till they were about three months old. Some mornings I still lay in bed and nurse them at the same time. I drank a lot of water (which could be why I am drying up now too...) and I snacked alot.

It can be done and like proudmomma4 said, the best is when they hold hands in between your breast. I loved that.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have EPed for the last 15 months for my twins. That has been pretty tough, but it's worth it! I pumped every 2 hours (around the clock)for the first couple months then went to every 3 hrs and then every 4 hrs. When they turned 1 year I dropped to just 3 times a day (that first day I dropped 2 pump sessions!) and just today (at 15 months) I dropped 1 more so just pumping twice a day! I originally wanted to BF for 2 years, but I'm kind of ready to be done and new goal is 18 months!

ETA: I agree that you really have to be sure to keep up with food & water. The one thing I am soooo looking forward to when I'm done is just not constantly drinking water. I don't let myself get thirsty and I am so looking forward to just not drinking anything at all if I need not to or don't want to.
I ate a minimum of 3000 calories a day. If I went over (or even way over) I just didn't worry about it. I'm cutting down my calories now since I'm only pumping about 30 oz a day these days so I don't need as much.

Last edited by Brooke789; 09-30-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow Brooke789! All the admiration in the world for pumping for your babes! I don't think I could have done that. I am bowing down and in awe of you. Pumping is so much harder in my mind - trying to keep supply up enough for 1, let alone 2! You ROCK!!!

Last edited by proudmama4; 09-30-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

Thanks ladies! With three older ones (they will be 5, 3, and 19 months when the twins get here), I really don't think I'd be able to pump!

I'm almost 13 weeks and just found out on Tuesday about the twins. My appetite had just returned, and then disappeared all of Tues, Wed and Thurs, and I ended up losing 2 pounds. Today is the first day I haven't spent the entire day nauseous and was actually able to eat. I've read a lot already about the importance a healthy weight gain and all of the protein. In a book I have it says 176g a day. Does that sound right?! I knew about the 3000 calories, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me. I don't drink a lot of caffeine, if I do have a soda I usually try to make sure it's caffeine free.

I also read that women who gain 24 pounds by 24 or 28 weeks are more likely to carry to term and deliver healthy babies. I've got a lot to gain in the next 14-16 weeks if that is true! My main goal right now is carrying them to term. I've had 3 healthy pregnancies to term before this, so I'm hoping I can do the same. And also praying I can deliver vaginally. A c-section is seriously my worst fear.

Thanks for the tips ladies! I may pm you proudmama4 if you don't mind. I'm sure I'll have some questions.

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
twinmomma07
Registered Users

My Mood:

I ebf'd my twins for almost 19 months. The first few months were difficult. Luckily, I had no issues with latch they just ate CONSTANTLY and they used me as a human pacifier for three months straight. On a more positive note, after the first few months, I found my groove and then it finally got easy. Oh and get used to everyone seeing your boobs I could never figure out how to tandem discreetly

You can do it! Get yourself a great support system lined up after the babies arrive

Oh and congratulations! Having multiples is such an amazing experience.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
proudmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I rarely pumped! Just couldn't do it. Once the babies started cereal, I pumped first thing in the AM for milk for their cereal, but that was it!

If you and your DH get short with each other the first few months after your kids, I recommend "Babyproofing your Marriage." It really helped the way we acted with each other on such little sleep. I may be the only twin mom who will tell you it isn't much fun. I love my kids, but there's no time to enjoy them the way I would like to. I had PPD at around 10 months...I guess I just hit a brick wall and realized this isn't gonna get better any time soon. lol. I sought out my mommy friendships and shared my feelings with them, and got thru it. I love my kids more than words, but having 2 at a time is rough. There is a reason why sleep deprivation is a method of torture for POWs.

I love this article...
http://www.npr.org/blogs/babyproject/2011/08/26/139974665/parenthood-got-you-down-youre-not-alone?sc=tw