Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
Qylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Attack of the arm!

My son is now 5.5 months old. I like Bf in the cradle position, lately his top free arm is very mobile. He is grabbing my shirt, pulling my hair, and sticking him hand in my mouth. I have been telling him 'NO' very sternly, and unlatching him. Yesterday, I finally bit his fingers a little when he put them in my mouth. That finally got a reaction and he stopped putting them in my mouth. Does anyone have advice on what to do?

Advertisement

Qylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
LuvMyKs2010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Attack of the arm!

I would try giving him something to hold onto like a burp cloth or blanket. Or one of those necklaces...I forget what they're called...nursing necklace maybe. DS did that to me and I just gave him something to hold and squeeze. I was going to buy a necklace but he weaned himself before I was ready to stop.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Your title made me laugh! I've been experiencing the same thing for about a month with my baby who is 6 months old. We call it "crazy arm"!

She gets especially unwieldly with her free arm when we are out in public trying to nurse with a nursing cover.

I generally just talk to her and laugh. When she puts her hand near my mouth, I kiss her hand & it makes her laugh. If she tries to put her hand in my mouth, I cover my teeth with my lips & lightly nibble on her hand (making sure I don't get any of my saliva on her hand) and then I ask her, "Do you want mama to bite your hand?"

My LO is just exploring with her free hand.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Qylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your nicer then me. I few weeks ago I blew on his hand and made fart sounds and was super giggly with him. It is kinda a problem now cause he yanks the bf cover and he turns his head while latched on and it HURTS. I like bf him but lately it feels like war.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Qylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LuvMyKs2010 - I will try giving him something to hold. I have a really chunky necklace on right now and when I put his hand on it he lets go and tries to find more fun things.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Please don't bite your child. Please.

Like the previous poster's have said, he's just looking to explore. We play high fives, I've taught him to sign milk, I let him play with my nursing necklace or the buttons on my shirt. I hold his hand gently and guide it to an acceptable spot. I will kiss, blow raspberries/zeberts on his fingers, show him a book, have his big brother come by to read, let him hold my fingers and make his arm wave, go in circles, etc.

Its not his fault he's a curious baby.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I know what you mean! My 6 mo old pinches my arm with his top free arm! I tried gently moving, kissing it, nursing necklace. He drops it all and goes right back to my arm. He's even caused light bruising! He's not doing it as much so I guess it was a phase. I would say ow! That hurts mommy. No pinching! When he was really pinching hard I would unlatch him and wait a few minutes before relatching him.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
Qylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel better knowing that I am not alone in this :-)
Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I give mine a stuffed animal to cuddle with or I hold her hand. Between the pinching and biting I had to find some relief!
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
DCJ24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My dd does this as well.

Sent from my PC36100 using DS Forum