Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
fgg
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do you single moms do it?

I was going to write a whiny thread about dh having to go into work tonight, and most of the day tomorrow leaving me at home with our newborn and our four year old, but then I remembered that this is out of the ordinary for me, and there are a lot of people who have a dh/dp who works nights and weekends all the time, or who do not have a dh or dp in the house at all. God bless you all! I don't know how you do it, but I am so impressed that you manage at all, and I'm sure you actually thrive! Your kids are lucky to have you.

Advertisement

fgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

Re: How do you single moms do it?

I don't know how they do it either! Dh is in the military and is gone a lot. Actually he left yesterday morning and won't be back until Monday night. I am so emotionally and physically exhausted- we JUST found out we're having twins!!

Serious props to all of you moms (or dads!) who do this every single day. I don't know that I could!

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

For me, it was actually easier to be a single mom than to take care of kids, a job, a house, and a man who needed more attention than the kids. Some men just make things harder than they should be.

I loved, loved, loved, being a single mom.

My husband now is helpful, will do anything to help without me asking. He never asks me to do more than I can, and never complains when I don't do enough. So, I love, love, love being married now.

I have a daycare, and I have one mom who nearly panics when her husband is out of town because she can't give both kids a bath. LOL. The first time she said that, I nearly laughed...but, then I realize not all situations are alike. For her, she really couldn't imagine giving two kids a bath all alone.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a single mom, but I've been left alone plenty of time and for months at a time, and I'm of the belief that you do what you have to do. You survive. (And I feel SO lucky that while I was physically a single parent, I had the full financial and emotional support of a husband several hundred miles away. So I've definitely not been a single mom in the true sense of the meaning.)

ETA: I find that I run the household better when my husband is traveling, I guess because I know there will be no one there to pick up my slack.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post
I'm not a single mom, but I've been left alone plenty of time and for months at a time, and I'm of the belief that you do what you have to do. You survive. (And I feel SO lucky that while I was physically a single parent, I had the full financial and emotional support of a husband several hundred miles away. So I've definitely not been a single mom in the true sense of the meaning.)

ETA: I find that I run the household better when my husband is traveling, I guess because I know there will be no one there to pick up my slack.
I agree! My DH works in another state and is gone Sunday night through Friday night (so is only home on Saturdays and part of Sundays). I have actually found it easier as I have 1 less person to clean up after and I tend to stay more on top of things because I know there is nobody else to do it. It's not "easy" by any means but you do what you gotta do!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I love it when DH goes away! It's the best of both worlds - a 2 income household without a husband making a mess!

I agree with the PP - if he's away then I tend to just get on with it rather than waiting to see if anyone is going to help me.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
eli'smama
Registered Users
seller

My husband works full time and just recently went back to school full time so he is gone 14-16 hours a day, comes home and does a couple hours of homework, and goes to bed. I also have a daycare so our home is open to 5 other families 12 hours a day. By the end of the day I am exhausted and sick (pregnant) and I just have not adjusted to a one parent household YET. We will get there I am just used to having my DH home every night to help with supper, bath, and bed. I just keep telling myself that we will get through it and in the end it will be better.

I admire all of you that are running a household by yourselves and rocking it!!! I hope to one day soon be in this same postion!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli'smama View Post
I admire all of you that are running a household by yourselves and rocking it!!! I hope to one day soon be in this same postion!
It's really hard when your baby is young, too. Mine aren't babies anymore (they range in age from 5-14) and while we are way busier now with school/sports/activities, I will take being alone with four older kids over being alone with a baby (and pregnant!)
Old 09-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
froggymiamore
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
For me, it was actually easier to be a single mom than to take care of kids, a job, a house, and a man who needed more attention than the kids. Some men just make things harder than they should be.

I loved, loved, loved, being a single mom.

My husband now is helpful, will do anything to help without me asking. He never asks me to do more than I can, and never complains when I don't do enough. So, I love, love, love being married now.

I have a daycare, and I have one mom who nearly panics when her husband is out of town because she can't give both kids a bath. LOL. The first time she said that, I nearly laughed...but, then I realize not all situations are alike. For her, she really couldn't imagine giving two kids a bath all alone.
Yep, this was me too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post

This is VERY true! It seems impossible when you're not in that situation, but when you're knee deep in it, and you know YOU are the only one who will get anything done and there is NO ONE else to rely on at all, you find strength you never knew you had. It's amazing. Now that I have the world's most awesome partner, I admit, I can be a bit lazy just because I know he will help me out more yes yes, I'm a horrible person, I know
Old 09-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
This! It's so much easier for me being a single. Sure it's tough at times, but like the pp said, I'm the only one who's going to do it and I know it'll get done.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using DS Forum
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote