Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sharing rooms

We have three kids and four bedrooms. In our old house DD and DS (oldest kids) shared a room. When we moved here everyone got their own room and it has been that way for two years.

I am seriously considering putting my boys together (youngest is 3, middle child is 6) and letting DD (8) stay in her own room. We would turn the third kids' room into a kids' "den." We have a big playroom in the basement (finished), but I operate a preschool out of the house and I am finding as my kids age, they need a bit of their own space for some activities (lego, for one) that cannot be in the playroom.

The issue is that middle boy (DS 6) is a bit territorial with what he considers "his stuff." He thinks all the lego is his because it has, to date, been stored in his room. He KNOWS it is everyone's, but he does have some possessive tendencies. He plays very well with his little brother (DS 3) and with DD (I am touching wood here because my children are actually all best friends and for the most part play very well together, whereas my brothers and I practically killed one another every day).

I feel that this will either help DS learn to share and see the bigger picture or it will make him detest his brother. He is not opposed to sharing a room with his brother at this time, and I would keep it on the table (although not to them, just to DH and I) that we could always change them back if it went downhill.

The boys' room would have bunk beds (already in DS 6's room), but we would move it all into DS 3's room (more windows, slightly bigger). We would put a single bed, a lego table, a homework/art desk in the "kids' den" and it would be their place...

Has anyone done this? Thoughts on sharing rooms? Will it help or hinder my middle child (who is already the more sensitive of the three)....??

Advertisement

Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
lilluciana
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sharing rooms

I have 3 boys, 15, 11, and a few weeks shy of 6. They have always shared a bedroom and never had problems, I think it's good for them. Just last month my oldest was moved into his own room and there are mornings I find him back in his brothers room (there are bunks in there) my little guy has all of his toys/clothes in there but usually ends up in my bed. One of my favorite memories of my older two is just hearing them talking in bed, from the time they were 2 and 6 until now, although the conversations are much different now!
Let them help with the move and let them put their stuff where they want it, they will feel that they really have a choice in the process.
I say go for it, I think they will figure out quickly how to learn to live with each other. Maybe you can have the older boy pick out a few lego's that the little one can play with anytime and they will start playing together and sharing the things he thinks are only his.
Good luck, give it a month or so. I have learned the kids accept change better than we do sometimes!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boys are 6 and 5 and share a room and they wouldn't have to. We don't keep many toys in there so there isn't much to be possessive about. My 5 year old is autistic so the boys don't actually "play" much together but they do like to be around each other. Sometimes bed time is a little tricky. I put the 5 year old to bed first and then the 6 year old 30 min later.

They actually chose to stay in the smaller of the 2 rooms. If you think your middle ds might not like moving in together I would consider letting him pick which room, although you know him well so you will probably have good instincts on what is best
Old 10-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I think it's a good idea. We had a major problem with toys going EVERYWHERE until I made the kids their own playroom. It will probably also help with keeping bedrooms cleaner and sounds like it will help your 6yo learn to be less possessive
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

My boys share a room. 3 and 1. All their toys are in there but we also don't allow them to have "my" stuff. At least not at at their age yet. Plus they're so close they play with the same toys.