Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
BranAn7881
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Does this count?

Hello,

I haven't been on here in awhile, due to a fire that we lost almost all our belongings in. Anyway... I am not sure if this counts, and if it doesn't, please feel free to direct me to the forum I should post this in. Here goes...

I am Brandi. My husband is Kevin and we have 2 children together, Derrick who's 5 and Emily who's 2 1/2. Our family also consists of my sister Angie and her husband Adam.

To explain, we live together in one house. There are many reasons we have choosen this path. For starters, it certainly helps financially and allows us to live a fuller life. I am a stay at home Mom and my sister who also wants to be a stay at home Mom and is TTC also does not work. So our husbands work to provide for us all. Our money all goes together, bills get paid and then whatever is left, we all can choose to do what we want with. It is also beneficial in that I have Fibromyalgia and my sister is always there to help me with my kids when I need it. It is beneficial for my sister and her husband since neither went to college and although her husband has a good job working in a factory, if they were to live on their own, things would be really tight especially once they have kids.

Anyway, we typically do everything together. Meaning trips, or anything that would normally just be myself, my husband and our kids, is usually all 6 of us. We enjoy eachother's company and feel that we are 1 family and not 2. If that makes sense?

So I guess I am wondering if there are others like us out there, or even on here? Even if you aren't, what are your thoughts on it? I am really curious to see what everyone thinks and if we really are a non-traditional family.

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
darbycrash
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does this count?

We just moved in to a new house with my husband's parents and they are my baby's primary caregivers when we're both at work, so it's easier. We're all Italian so I'm hoping this will work out. The MIL and I took baby to a local Russian and Slavic (she's part Slovak and so is baby I guess LOL!) fest and we had a great time. She's disabled so the fact that she didn't complain about how much pain she was in for a couple of hours is pretty amazing. I think the extended family living that we are both doing is not just old timey, but the wave of the future. It just makes life a bit easier in many ways doesn't it?
darbycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

How non traditional can depend on the country and the customs. In Mexico it is very common for extended family to live together. Perhaps not the pooling of the money. But that still sounds great to me. When growing up we frequently had people living with us. Sometimes family sometimes friends. A few times people in need we didn't know but who became friends. Once as a child it was a homeless pregnant teen. Her mama kicked her out. She is now doing well married to her babies daddy and has another child with him.As a married woman we had a single pregnant mother stay with us. She was also homeless. I think it used to be the traditional way in the US to have family live together to save money, but things have since changed and it is no longer considered traditional. I feel we have lost out having family so far apart. Wish it would work for us. My 8yr old son keeps telling me how much better it would be if we lived with or even next door to my sister and her kids. If only our husbands jobs weren't in different towns. My husband thinks this is strange but for us it was normal.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I was a child my grandparents lived with us and my grandmother was our primary caregiver while my parents worked. After my oldest was born my parents invited us to move in with them and we lived there until we had saved enough money to buy our own house when he was 6 (our youngest was almost 2). Sometimes I miss living with my parents because it was fun. Like you said there are many benefits to sharing a home both monetary (as a mostly SAHM myself our income is limited) and just being with family and those bonds. However ultimately we felt we needed more space and to make our own decisions. We couldn't have dogs as long as we lived with my parents. We didn't have as much space (my brother was also living with them at the time and there house has the clutter of 25 years of a pack rat). I just wanted my own home. If we had a large enough home that they could move in with us I would definitely consider living with them again. I love having them so close (not like they are far now it is 3 miles to their house).
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm glad you are able to have so much family close to help you. I have fibromyalgia (plus a connective tissue disorder, spinal stenosis & disk issues). It's a lot even with 1 other adult in the home. It sounds like you found a situation that helps everyone.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
BranAn7881
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all! I do agree that with the economy and such that I think that extended families living together is going to keep increasing.

And yes, it does really help with my Fibromyalgia. I also have a multitude of other health issues and frankly, I don't know how I would do it with just my husband and I. I hope that you have a great support system as well
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Im a stereotypical nuclear family, but your arrangements sounds awesome! I think its great that you all can help one another so much, the kids have so much family around to love them, and that the kids get to see such partnership modeled for them.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have always wished to be one big
Family with another family. We spend a few weeks with some friends every summer and I always hate coming home. The guys do their thing and my friend
And I share everything around the house. She works so I do the cleaning and stuff during the day and we share the cooking and childcare. Going home is always tough.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Glowbaby247
Banned

My Mood:
We had my sister with use for a bit it just didn't work :0/ for us.

Last edited by Glowbaby247; 11-04-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Glowbaby247 is offline   Reply With Quote