Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do i unstimulate and overstimulated 3 month old?

Prefacing by saying Im a totally clueless FTM.

I have noticed that DS has a very rough night and we have a very tough time getting him down after he has a very "stimulating day". For example, today my parents and his 2 aunties came and we went shopping all day. From going to place to place and being passed around and played with all day long, he didnt nap at all today and he was thrown off his usual schedule with feedings - quantity and timing. Now he is super fussy and crying and even though we agreed to do bathtime, jammies and feeding/rocking to have him in bed by 9 like usual, DH just yelled for me to make him a bottle already. Way to stick to the plan DH.

Are there any tips for avoiding this in the future? I feel like we have come so far with kicking the colic fussy time, and starting to be a super happy baby that sleeps through the night. Now days like this bring us right back to angry baby

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do i unstimulate and overstimulated 3 month old?

Best way is to avoid days like that. But sticking to your bed time routine should help, but I wouldn't stick to your guns about regular bedtime. If he's ready to go to sleep, rock him in a dark room and put him to bed. Keeping him up will just make him grouchier. You have to compensate for lack of naps. Good Luck. Our dd got over stimulated really easy- just about anything out of the ordinary would throw her for a loop, it is defiantly no fun.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you may have to reconcile yourself to the fact that, while he's a baby, you're going to have to make some lifestyle changes. DH and I always said that we wouldn't structure our lives around a baby - our baby would have to adjust to our lives. HA! That is just not how it works! Naptime is a priority, and so are feedings, and if that means that you can't be out of the house for more than an hour at a time, well, that's just life with a baby! Over time, I think it gets easier to get out with baby a little more often for slightly longer stretches, but even at 6 months old, I would not try to tackle a full-day shopping trip. Hope your sweet little guy settles down and gets some good rest tonight!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
mommieleah74
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When you were out and about... where was your lil one? In a stroller? Carseat?
mommieleah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoo
I think you may have to reconcile yourself to the fact that, while he's a baby, you're going to have to make some lifestyle changes. DH and I always said that we wouldn't structure our lives around a baby - our baby would have to adjust to our lives. HA! That is just not how it works! Naptime is a priority, and so are feedings, and if that means that you can't be out of the house for more than an hour at a time, well, that's just life with a baby! Over time, I think it gets easier to get out with baby a little more often for slightly longer stretches, but even at 6 months old, I would not try to tackle a full-day shopping trip. Hope your sweet little guy settles down and gets some good rest tonight!
Ditto! DD gets overstimulated SO easily. Everything they experience is new, which is so hard to remember for us.

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any time we visited family and DD was passed around a lot or we had a busy day, we had crazy periods of overstimulated crying at night. What worked was the 5 S's that are found in Happiest Baby on the Block. Swaddle, Side/stomach, shush, swing, suck. We swaddled her, laid her on her side or stomach against us, shushed her pretty loudly or turned on white noise, bounced her up and down/rocked/walked her around/danced her around, and the sucking part not so much because she didn't like pacifiers and I can't do all that while nursing. The combination of all that always calmed her right down.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks mamas! We got him down (fingers crossed) with a bit of struggle, but i dont want to jinx it. He was in the stroller for most of the day and car seat during the ride (of course)
Old 10-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
scairns
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv.young View Post
Thanks mamas! We got him down (fingers crossed) with a bit of struggle, but i dont want to jinx it. He was in the stroller for most of the day and car seat during the ride (of course)
My youngest use to get like this then I changed how I did busy days, if we HAD to go out and about to do errands I wore her face towards me with her head covered they say that it is bad for young babes to be facing out because its just too much to take in the whole world like that. We limited visitors or atleast the passing around. It helped a lot and we just didnt go out much. Good luck
Old 10-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv.young View Post
The best way to avoid it is to avoid days like that, and just do a little shopping and a little passing around. If you can't, please please get yourself an awesome baby carrier and wear your baby (facing in only). This way, he can still be close to you and know he's safe, he can nap comfortably, and he can bury his head when things get overstimulating. Babies who are worn for long periods in the day sleep better for naps and nights.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
mommieleah74
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What I found helps with keeping them from being overstimulated is carrying them close to you in a carrier (babywearing). They can sleep that way and it makes them secure. You should look into it the next time you need to do something like that for the day. I did it with my youngest and it has been a Godsend!

Last edited by mommieleah74; 10-01-2011 at 07:45 PM.
mommieleah74 is offline   Reply With Quote