Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: How do i unstimulate and overstimulated 3 month old?

I would say limit outings to half a day and be home be nap time. Sounds like overstimulated AND overtired. My DD1 never had issues, we could go anywhere and she would sleep when tired and be fine. DD2 NEEDS her scheduled naptime, period, or the whole day is totally messed up, and bedtime is a disaster. So, while she is little, we do outings in the morning, and come home 1-2 hours before naptime, to make sure she gets her nap. Then if we want to go out a little again in the afternoon, we can, but we're home well before dinner to wind down for bed. I know it sounds crazy to plan everything around the baby, but we're all much happier and it won't be forever!

Advertisement

mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS2 and DS3 both LOVED being in the Moby Wrap on these nights. With DS2 we lived in a house with a big back yard with trees.. and in the spring and summer DS2 LOVED it when I walked around outside with him in the Moby. He just found the sound of the leaves in the breeze to be soothing and comforting.

DS3 would be fussy, and as soon as he saw me pick up the Moby he'd stop crying and stare at me. So for US.... walking around a dark room or outside while being worn in the Moby were what calmed them down on those really rough nights.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #13
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I definitely agree with the babywearing.

My son had a really random sleep "schedule" at that age, so I was out and about quite a bit because otherwise I would have sat home all day. He loved sleeping on me in the carrier, so if he got tired and I happened to be at Target, he'd just snooze and I'd take my time and walk around for an hour. He was good about sleeping wherever we were, as long as I could rock him in a somewhat quiet area (or if he could be in the carrier).

That changed once he got to be a bit older, and settled into a two nap a day schedule, and started needing certain conditions to sleep in. Then I made changes to adapt our routine to make sure his naps were almost never interrupted, or at least it was only occasionally that we messed with sleep.

I really think wearing him a lot helped keep him calm and centered. He loved going places with me! And rarely seem overstimulated as a result.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #14
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I second babywearing AND limiting your outings. Even with toddlers, I make sure to be home for nap time. Nap time is one of my main priorities--if everyone is properly rested, things are great around here. If even one person isn't, it's total madness for everyone.

With a baby as young as three months, I think it's actually a little easier to be out and about because most babies that little will sleep in a cozy carrier no matter where they are. In a few months, he'll be more aware of everything going on around him and it will get much harder.

Until my babies transition to one nap a day (which they have done around 12 - 14 months), our outings are severely limited. I want to be home from 10-12 and 2-4, plus there's lunch in the middle and I have to start dinner between 4 and 5. Basically, if it doesn't get done before 10:00, it probably ain't gonna happen. It's hard! But it doesn't last long.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well all the other mamas pretty much said every thing I was going to say so just sending love! Great advice! This is why I love these forums!!

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

it does not sound like he was overstimulated but that he was overtired.

Does he not nap in the stroller/car or were they quick trips?

You don't have to stop doing trips like this, you just have to adjust the rest of the day as you go along. If he is on a schedule for feedings, you stick with that. Naps will be hit & miss, but you make up for it later.

Quote:
DH and I always said that we wouldn't structure our lives around a baby - our baby would have to adjust to our lives. HA! That is just not how it works!
Actually it does work, especially when you have more than 1 child. WIth 1 child it's easy to stay at home, with more children it is alot harder and the baby does have to fit into the families lifestyle. We never changed what we did because we had kids, they fit into our lives. I have 3 kids, there is 3.5years between the oldest & the youngest. The youngest was my high needs screamer/puker child. We never stayed home because we had things that needed to be done. Her "schedule" was adjusted to what the schedule for the rest of the family was.

Last edited by CarrieMF; 10-02-2011 at 09:59 AM.
CarrieMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For us, wrapping the baby in a blanket and nursing while laying in bed watching TV always worked. Good luck mama! I never worried about stuff like that, and gradually, kiddos have all adjusted to be able to roll with the punches. DD is 6 months old, and since I have 2 other kids, she gets drug everywhere. DFS was the same way. Once there is more than one kid, naps go out the window, and kids just learn to be flexible. DD1 is in a lot of activities, so several days we leave the house around 8:30, and don't come home til 4. DD2 just sleeps in her carseat or in a carrier. We aim for naps around 1, but it doesn't always happen, and the kids go with it, particularly before they are a year old.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 10-02-2011 at 12:49 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #18
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I guess I disagree that nap times and schedules don't work with more than one kid. My older dd (4) has lots of little activities and classes and things, too, but I just don't sign her up for the ones that conflict with nap time. Period. It's just a two-hour window, so it's not like it limits us severely.

Of course, I'm kind of a home body. I love to be home. I think it's easier on the kids(and by extension, me) and most of the things we all enjoy doing are right here at home. I have friends who can't stand to be home and they are constantly running around, dragging babies and toddlers with them, and it works just fine. I guess kids do adjust to whatever their life is.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I found that once we were out of the newbie stage (around 3-4 mos), the time came for a bit of structure. No outings during naptime, if possible. I would agree with PP that he was likely overtired, which can look like overstimulated.

I would also second babywearing instead of a stroller. It will help him have cozy naps, securely against you, if you must be out and he is tried. Babywearing in the evening (I would suggest a wrap) will help bring him down and mellow everyone out. Swaddling is a nice soother, too, as the compression can be very calming. When I found my babies were having a hard time settling, sitting in a dimly lit room, with quiet background noise (TV) and nursing them did the trick.

Also, consider what your stress level (and your DH's) is doing. I find when I am upset, stressed about anything, the kids will totally pick up on it and go batty.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote