Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #21
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD? Maternity leave..

I am a teacher. I take 12 weeks off. I would have taken more, but DD2 was born in March. The school will manage. People have babies all the time.

You have those students for a year. You have your baby for a lifetime. You can't take back the time you will miss with the baby. I would take as much time as you can. Having lost DFS once, and gone through the experience of losing a child, I now cherish each day with him.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 10-03-2011 at 06:37 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #22
lullaby80
Registered Users

My Mood:

You wanted that job SO bad and were in a bad situation before moving. If it were me, I'd only take 6 weeks off. Baby won't know if you took 6 or 12 weeks off.

I'm saying this because the way I am, very nervous about losing my job and wanting to keep it. If you really want to give best impressions, you should work your butt off, especially the first year. I'm in a completely different field though so this might not apply to teaching..

Last edited by lullaby80; 10-03-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Clarifying myself..
lullaby80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Last edited by 5PrincessMommy; 11-05-2011 at 02:16 PM.
5PrincessMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #24
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Brady

Thats exactly the thing. I absolutely want to make a good impression. However if they don't actually care either way, then I'd like to take more than 6 weeks. If they'll have a negative opinion of me then I'll only take six.
Say you want 12, come back after 9... Lower there expectations.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #25
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by 5PrincessMommy; 11-05-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #26
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:

If you can financially swing 12 weeks, then I would do it. My first year teaching I had a baby in March. I took the remainder of the year off and went back for the last week of school. The second time I had the baby at the beginning of April and took the remainder of the year off.

I think you have to decide how much it means to you. Some people would be ok with 6 weeks, some wouldn't. I only teach part time, but when I was teaching full time, it tore me apart to go to work every single day even though my DH stayed home with the baby. I even cried while my class was at pullouts. My heart wanted to be with my baby and once I figured out a balance I felt better. I guess what I am trying to say is take a long, hard look at how you feel inside. Only you know if it will be unbearable to go back to work right away.
wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #27
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lullaby80 View Post
You wanted that job SO bad and were in a bad situation before moving. If it were me, I'd only take 6 weeks off. Baby won't know if you took 6 or 12 weeks off.

I'm saying this because the way I am, very nervous about losing my job and wanting to keep it. If you really want to give best impressions, you should work your butt off, especially the first year. I'm in a completely different field though so this might not apply to teaching..
Yeaaaaahhhhh...I'd be nervous b/c it's already a high-turnover school, & just based on your previous posts, OP, they have some...um...administrative struggles? Like, the HR lady never returning calls, your administrator giving you a hard time about your classroom, combined w/ what I would consider a lackadaisical attitude about your leave would make me nervous. If I were in your position & were confident that I could come up w/ a position in another district next year if they choose to not renew your contract, I'd take the 12, otherwise I'd probably suck it up & come back at 6, just to know I was doing everything I could to support my whole family. But like I said before, I'm a pragmatist; my feelings generally play very little part in my decisions. I make very calculated decisions that lead me toward the best possible outcome for everyone that I care about...I think that bonding time is great & BFing/pumping even better, but it all goes to crap if you're unemployed & DH is unemployed & you're trying to support, what, 5 kids w/ no earned income. But if the job market is pretty good for teachers & you are more employable now that you're in-state & would be able to work for a different district next year, well then that's a different picture, KWIM?

Is this a matter of what you want (12 wks--or really, more, b/c I know that you want to SAHM if it were possible) not matching up w/ what you think you should do (6-8 wks) & trying to process that? Or have you already decided one vs the other & are looking to solidify your rationale?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #28
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtwiceover View Post
I think the best impression you can make is to be responsible while you are working - if that means taking the 12 weeks and being as present in your job as possible when you come back than that is what I would do.

As a side note - I live in Canada and we get 50 weeks PAID mat leave (plus 2 unpaid) plus I got 15 weeks PAID sick leave before having the baby because of complications - I can not imagine how you mama's do it only taking 6 or so weeks off. Hats off to you!!!!
I'm thinking the same thing. I can't imagine leaving a 6 week old baby to go back to work - I had enough troubles leaving her at a year, and I only work part time. I'd definitely check into if those breaks actually count to your 6 weeks off - I'd hazard that if you don't have to be in the classroom, they probably don't.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #29
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by 5PrincessMommy; 11-05-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #30
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by 5PrincessMommy; 11-05-2011 at 02:17 PM.