Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
GenevaL
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For parents whose kids share rooms

Hello! I hope this is the right forum...

If your kids share rooms, have they done so since birth, or did they room together when older?

We intended for our DD (4.5) and DS (1.5) to share a room from the get go (well, once he was done with night nursing, he slept with us for the early months). However, DD is very much a night owl and DS fights to go to bed before 7pm. We moved DS to his own room, but our house is small, and that meant giving up a guest room/office. That itself is not a problem btw.

I really believe it is important for siblings to have each other's company and to be together in their early years. I mean, parents get to be together on dark, stormy nights! :-)

How/when did your kids make the transition to a single room? Were the age differences a problem? How long did they share if they are different genders?
A choice or space issue? Just curious...

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We moved my DS and DD1 in together when we were about 6 months pregnant with DD2. They are 5 and 2. We were concerned because DS is an early to bed, early to rise kid and DD is the opposite. She is also a bear when she gets woken up early.
It actually worked out well because before the transition, we talked to DS about not waking his sister up. He has since become a better sleeper! They love sharing a room-and they each still have their own space. Naps were tricky because DS does not nap and DD does. So, we let DS get some books and lay on the couch while DD naps in the bedroom.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: For parents whose kids share rooms

My girls currently have their own room but have shared before. They started out separately, we needed a bedroom for my husband to have an office (he worked from home), so they began sharing when they were about 6 and 11 years old. No real problems except space. They have been separated again.

My boys are closer in age and they both co-slept with us and then we moved them to a room together when they were 3 and 4 years old. They've been together since and the arrangement works very well. They are now 5 and 6 and we have no plans to separate them in the near future...we'll consider it when our oldest (who is now 14) is ready to move out of the house.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My older two boys share a room. They have since the younger one was born. They really like it. Most of the time, they end up in the same bed, lol. We're not going to move them to separate rooms for a long time. We have 3 kids, and 3 bedroom houses are in our price range (not 4 bedrooms!) so someone is probably always going to have to share a room.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
maeus
Registered Users
seller

Our 3.5 yo and 21 mo boys share a room. Though it's mainly a space issue with us (we rent a 2br townhouse), my brothers shared a room, and my sister and I shared a room growing up, so I've only ever known siblings sharing a room. I think it creates a great environment for the kids to bond and to have someone close on those dark, stormy nights.

Sometimes I have to put the younger into his bed 30 min before the older so that the youngest actually sleeps instead of keeping his older brother awake. It's worked out well so far.
maeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older boys shared their whole childhood. I had baby in my room at birth, then in the spare room till he was about 18 months, then on the bottom bunk in their shared room with big brother up top. theres 5.5 years gap between them. Little guy only went in the room at bedtimes, older Ds had toys with small parts that we put away each night. As he got older and no longer tried to eat toys, he played in there too.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Mama_Destiny
seller
seller

My Mood:

My two girls who are 6.5, and almost 8 share a room with bunk beds. They have shared a room since DD2 stopped co-sleeping at 3.5. DS1 currently co-sleeps but we are trying to get him to his own bed before DS2 arrives in Jan., who will co-sleep with us, and then the boys will share a room once he is a little older.

The girls love sharing a room, and 80% of the time, I find them both in the same bunk, lol.
Mama_Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
andrea0324
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DDs starting sharing when they we moved and they were 2 and 3. They have similar sleep patterns though, so that made things much easier. For some reason they could never nap together though, so we just had one of them nap in our room.

GL mama!

I blog! Stop on by! www.northernlightsmama.blogspot.com
andrea0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
GenevaL
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the thoughts, mamas! I am thinking that when DS moves to his "big boy" bed around 2 1/2-3 it will be a good transition time. He is still nursing now, too and falls asleep on me, so when he has a different bedtime routine, that will help too. Hopefully they will get a few good years together until DD hits puberty!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
LovelyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My children share a room. They has since birth. They are all three years apart. Two males and one female who is the middle child. The oldest will be eight soon and the youngest will be two in a few weeks. We have had a great experience sharing rooms. The room is a nice large room, we have one set of bunkbeds and a single twin for the baby. Oldest gets the top bunk. At one point we tried to split the rooms up, DD got her own room and DS got his own with an extra bed for the babay when he was ready. They liked it, but for me it was more cleaning. DD ended up spending a few nights in the extra bed in DS room anyways.

For the furture, once puberty is setting in, DD will have her own room and the boys will share until college lol . If we have anymore children, they will room with the their gender sibling(s).

for naps youngest DS sleeps in mom and dads room. For bedtime, he does not go in his own bed until he is fully sleep. He is still nursing and partially co-sleeping. I put him to bed, but when he wakes at night he comes with me until the morning.

I'm swaggin now!! Come join me
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Niknak22
LovelyMum is offline   Reply With Quote