Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
cookiejewels8
Registered Users

No dairy

So the ONE night I decide to have a girls night out...DH stayed home to watch the baby & finds some blood in her poop. He calls our Peds & he says to cut out formula (I was supplementing 1 bottle a day) & for me to stop drinking cows milk. Has anyone had to do this? Did you cut out cheese & eggs as well? My LO does grunt a lot when she's trying to go. Poor thing. What substitutions did you use if you cut all dairy out? Thanks for your input!

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Katie Mae
Registered Users
seller

Re: No dairy

Ha, computers are brilliant--I typed a response and it disappeared. Nice.

I tried to cut dairy out with my daughter and couldn't get the blood to go away. But she was literally pooping out liquid blood, it wasn't just tinged blood in the diaper. Without support, I ended up switching to soy formula because I was loosing too much weight and miserable.

With my son as soon as he started showing signs of fussiness, difficulty going to the bathroom, etc I cut dairy without ever seeing any blood. But I cut all dairy. No milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, butter, or even any of those things cooked in food. This time I'm determined to BF, so I'm trying harder and searching out dairy free recipes. One sure way to get dairy free is to find foods/recipes labeled vegan. You can always add meat or whatever yourself for more calories.

I drink almond milk and soy milk, though I personally think vanilla almond milk tastes better just to drink. I use rice milk in cooking. I don't like coconut milk, but have heard of people who prefer that over all the others. Fred Meyer is the store by me that has a great selection of diary free milks/yogurts/cheeses/ and ice creams. We don't have a whole foods, but maybe they'd have stuff too? For butter I cook with a margarine called Nucoa and on toast do a tub margarine called Smart Balance. You'd be surprised how many margarines have milk in them.

Lastly, it is quite a bit overwhelming to go completely dairy free (even my taco seasoning and chicken bullion cubes have milk in them!), so if you can just cut out the obvious (milk, yogurt, cheese, butter) and get your LO to feel better, that's wonderful. I'm hoping to add back milk cooked in things like bread again here in another month or two so I'm not quite as restricted, but really don't want to do it before his intestines are a little more developed to handle it. Mostly, I'm just scared for more blood. And, as you may have read online, it can take a couple of weeks to get the dairy out of your and your LO's systems, so good luck!
Katie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote