Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
hminor11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Best way to re-establish a milk supply

My 14 month old self weaned about a month ago. Now I just found out I am pregnant with #3. I will have to go back to school when the new baby is 2 months old. I would like to try and re-establish a supply and start making a freezer stash so i'm not stressed about it when the new baby comes. I know breast milk has different qualities to it at different stages, but I would rather use breast milk of any kind over formula. I have started pumping but can only seem to get a few drops. How do I build my supply back up?

Advertisement

hminor11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Best way to re-establish a milk supply

When you are pregnant, you will probably not produce much milk at all. It's just a hormonal thing. There is really nothing you can do about it, either. Most women see a significant decrease in milk production in the second trimester.

I really don't think it's worth it to pump during pregnancy--so much work for so little output. Also, your nipples will probably be very sore, also because of hormonal changes in pregnancy. I nursed throughout my pregnancy and there were times it was very uncomfortable. I doubt I had any milk, really, but my DD loves to nurse for comfort, and so we continued.

Here's what Kellymom says:

Quote:
If you wish to put some expressed milk in the freezer for your unborn child, keep in mind that pumping is not likely to be very productive during pregnancy. Milk supply and pumping output will decrease due to the hormonal changes of pregnancy.
http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/05pumping.html
Old 10-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
hminor11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I thought milk supply wouldn't diminish until around 16 weeks or so? Will I not be able to re-establish a supply at all considering my other LO recently weaned? So far my nipples aren't too sensitive to pump. That has never really been an issue for me during pregnacy
Old 10-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

It's not likely that you can get much of anything as a pump is not as efficient as a baby. And for many moms, supply starts dropping in the first trimester.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
hminor11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Awe, bummer. There goes my master plan!! Thanks for your input mama's