Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

Re: does a 7 month old need to eat solids?

oh those pediatricians....

Advertisement

need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
christypjb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah sometime imo the solids are overrated. From my 3 children they all ate at different times my oldest "tried" solids @ 9 months and choked on pureed baby food. Like the pp I just smiled and nodded at my ped. He was 27 lbs by 9 months and just BF. I tried off an on until he was about 14 months and that is when he really started eating and not choking,,,like when he got teeth lol. It was more of a practice thing as he never ate enough of anything to be considered a meal. He just wasnt interested and he didnt ever need it bc he was well into 90th percentile of growth. I used Wic and just always told them what they wanted to hear lol. My youngest however was chowing down by the time he was 10 months old. I always did the babyled thing when it came to eating. I think it all depends on the baby. As long as they are healthy, growing, and gaining weight there is no reason to force solids. HTH Its not like they are going to be nursing until they are 16 yah know ::
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
ck510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Looks like you have plenty of good replies here. I have an almost 8 month old and he really isn't interested in food either. I do however try but don't force. He loves pho, goat cheese, hummus and mango chutney (he swiped the last three from my plate the other day) but he really isn't wanting food. My oldest wanted to be able to feed himself and wouldn't eat food unless he put it in his mouth. He is a good eater now.
ck510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
sdyer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I let my BF kids eat when they want and they are all excellent eaters!
sdyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #15
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I've got a 10.5 mo that still isn't interested much in solids. I think one thing the Pediatrician's are concerned about is iron deficiency, especially in BF babies but it seems unnecessary. Our Pedi agreed that if LO was gaining fine and blood tests at his check up showed his iron levels were good, no need for solids or supplements. He's a little porker and his iron levels are on the high-side of the normal range. So, in response "does a 7 mo BF baby need solids?" the answer is "No". If you want, you could ask to have his iron level checked (its a simple, nearly painless, finger poke for one drop of blood - not a big deal) and that might set your mind at ease. It made me feel good to know he was getting what he needs from me. Solids will come when they come...