Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Weezy6703's Avatar
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,081
My Mood:
Anyone here with OCD child?

We start therapy today after I get off work but just curious. A few weeks ago my DS was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and they are going to send him for further testing to be on the safe side. Many of our days are a huge 'breathe in and breathe out' kind of thing for me b/c he is so incredibly articulate/perfectionist/things can't get off track or we melt down, etc. And I'm soooo incredibly opposite from that, very easy going - so learning how to not get upset when he's at his worst has been a real challenge. So many times I want to just say things are going to be alright...this small minute thing you are exploding over will be OK!!!!! - But he can't see and understand that. Thus a huge reason for going to get help. his father is just like that but also has bipolar/depression/anxiety.

Advertisement

__________________
Lisa, Landon - 7 and Owen - 4
Weezy6703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
loveskitten's Avatar
loveskitten
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,483
My Mood:
Re: Anyone here with OCD child?

I do not (that I know of. They are both so young, 2 and 1) but I just wanted to say that I feel for you and I cannot imagine how difficult this must be for you. Good for you for checking it out. I hope things get better soon!!
__________________
Krista wife to James (Nov 2004) SAHM to Alison (Dec 08) and baby K (Aug 2010) and dedicated to losing weight, eating great, and saving money
loveskitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
My 14 year old has OCD. Diagnosed at a very young age. She does well now, esepcially if we put no emphasis on her obsessions like hand washing. She also has a rare form of ocd called moral ocd, and really struggles with that most days. We just try to listen and move on. If we discuss it to much she gets out of control.

Behavioral therapy worked pretty well when she was little, but after about age 7 we saw little progress and took her off meds and out of therapy. W have dealt well.

Are you medicating as well? We used zoloft for a few years with pretty good results.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Weezy6703's Avatar
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,081
My Mood:
Re: Anyone here with OCD child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskitten View Post
I do not (that I know of. They are both so young, 2 and 1) but I just wanted to say that I feel for you and I cannot imagine how difficult this must be for you. Good for you for checking it out. I hope things get better soon!!
Thank you mama . I always knew he had things that were different and questioned a lot of his actions - some of them borderline sensory issues (like with water/touch/etc on alot of it) and I'm not sure yet if that's what they will be further testing for or not. And I'm not sure that it's direct result as his family situation being changed (dad and I separated may 2010 and divorce final may 2011) - but he was like this on ALOT of things before dad and I ever split, kwim? - but psychologist seemed to think there was a small amount of depressive side to him, But not enough to say 'he's depressed'. Just showing some signs right now - he's extremely sensitive, tries so hard to please - and gets crying/sobbing lets say when i've read his notebook from school and he knows there may be a bad remark on it. I try and tell him everything is okay and I'm not mad or anything on it - but he feels SOOOO down that he didn't do well that day. I let him know it's okay that he makes mistakes - we all do and mommy is not 'going to go off on him' in a few words or less just because he was talkative in class one day. This one day he left the bathroom @ school and on the way back got confused and went outside - well the door auto locks and he ended up walking around the whole school back to the front....his teacher freaked out of course - and though we had a discussion about the importance of going straight to class afterwards because of his safety - he was so down and sad because I saw his 'bad note' for that day. It's upsetting to me because I never ever put pressure on him to 'be a good boy' in a sense. Of course i encourage him to do the right thing and try and allow him some responsibility but if he doesn't get it all the time i'm still easy going. He just gets majorly upset about so many things. The biggest thing is my family doesn't understand alot of his behaviors...and it would take too long to list EVERYTHING - my mom first thought autism or adhd - i didn't think so at all and the dr ruled those out right away. Anyhow I'm glad we are getting to see the dr now.

Thankfully it hasn't interrupted his 'learning' and he's able to do school right now with ease. I had to change our visitation from every week to every other weekend iwth his dad because now we have speech therapy AND psychotherapy - and they like to go to church wednesday nights - it was just becoming too much to do and I needed to work with him at home on things as well. he thrives on his routine being consistent - and their weekly visits to dads was different days of the week.
__________________
Lisa, Landon - 7 and Owen - 4
Weezy6703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wonderful Nebraska!
Posts: 5,901
My Mood:
Re: Anyone here with OCD child?

My oldest has a few OCDs in relation to his Asperger's. Stress shows in severity of hand washing/germ obcessing(he refuses to touch things with uncovered hands, won't be near people, in public, etc) and in anxiety with bad things happening.
He hears a noise, it must be a bad guy. He hears sirens, somebody is dead & he starts crying. If somebody corrects him(even minor, like "remember to write your name on your homework") he is personally devastated! Like his world has ended.
I tell his teachers at the beginning of the year how sensitive to negative comments he is, but even they are shocked at how over the top he takes it.

I'm like you, OP. I am so laid back that people sometimes ask me what I'm on!! Lol! I don't get it and I feel badly for him that he is always on such a high alert all the time. How exhausting!!! His fears tire me out & I'm not even the one feeling it all!

Lexapro has helped with his OCDs & general anxiety. He has clinical depression too, but I'd rather not have him taking a bunch of pills. So right now(past 2 years) we've only treated his depression with psychologist help.

I certainly am dreading the teenage years. Average kids are moody enough the way it is.
__________________
Bye bye.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Weezy6703's Avatar
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,081
My Mood:
Re: Anyone here with OCD child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
My 14 year old has OCD. Diagnosed at a very young age. She does well now, esepcially if we put no emphasis on her obsessions like hand washing. She also has a rare form of ocd called moral ocd, and really struggles with that most days. We just try to listen and move on. If we discuss it to much she gets out of control.

Behavioral therapy worked pretty well when she was little, but after about age 7 we saw little progress and took her off meds and out of therapy. W have dealt well.

Are you medicating as well? We used zoloft for a few years with pretty good results.

What's Moral OCD? I tried googling and got a wide variety of results (something like this maybe? http://www.ocd-plus.com/ocd_hyper_re...d_morality.htm)

I certainly understand the 'discussing too much she gets out of control'. With DS many things if we try and talk about (especially when he makes mistakes - which I try and let him know it's 'okay' to do so) but he starts crying even worse.

Right now his psychologist doesn't want to medicate due to his age and wishes to try behavioral therapy first. I started journaling his behaviors so when we go to our next appointment I have a little more to go on (like what's been going on the past 2 weeks)

I just really really hate so bad that he seems so sad sometimes - and puts so much pressure on himself to do well and all the crying when he does mess up. I never ever come down on him nor put expectations - he brings it on himself. Of course in the instance where he went outside at school - i explained very calmly why it wasn't safe to do such a thing. I try and be very relaxed with him to let him know there's nothing to 'fear'.
__________________
Lisa, Landon - 7 and Owen - 4
Weezy6703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Weezy6703's Avatar
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,081
My Mood:
Re: Anyone here with OCD child?

L is similar in some of the 'correction' type things, and many things send him through the roof in terms of 'his world ending'. He doesn't get really hyper necessarily - but he either really tries to argue his point that he's right, or he's in the floor sobbing because I forgot swim shorts on the day it was supposed to be water park day - never mind you he had shorts on he could wear that would have been MORE THAN SUFFICIENT...but those WEREN'T swim shorts!!! If my mom ever had sent us to camp during the summer, do fun things, much less send us to a water park - I would have worn whatever I could find because it would have been a luxury.

He goes through the rough when his routine is broken - if dad is supposed to pick him up and I show up - he's sobbing and sometimes screaming (rare occasions though) and his after-school teachers wonder what's wrong with him They wear a different color shirt of the week every friday and monday-thursday he's asking me do we have that shirt ready.....he's 5!!!! *I* don't know what *I* am going to wear by friday!!!

DS has noise sensitivities (public bathroom toilets and sometimes our toilet at home, food processor being used, music at church, etc) but he doesn't associate it with fear of something bad happening (that I can tell)...he mainly tries to get away from the noise.

During bath time if he gets water on his face, i wipe it to make sure it's dry (like after washing his hair)...there is not even ONE DROP on his face but he still thinks its there and cries to get a towel so he can wipe it and says the water hurts his face. ...but then turn around had have a blast at the water park....I don't get it.

when you say negative comments do you mean in direct correspondence to him?

The reason I ask, when L was in preK and still now - I had THE hardest time if another little kid said something 'bad' about him or even 'joked' around - he was in tears and did not take joking well at all. His kindergarten teacher 'currently' says he's doing okay in the classroom...but when he gets home is utterly sensitive about if he DID get a bad mark written in his communication notebook. He's also very sensitive if family says something to joke or kid around...L is the type of kid that takes things VERY literal..so there's not room for joking around (and family doesn't get that).


LOL on your being relaxed. ;-) And yes it's very exhausting. His therapist told me when we come next time he'd try and talk to landon about the water/tub thing so we'll see.

I don't want to think about the teenage years!!!

There's a multivite/supplement cald NaturalCalm (for kids) that I'm thinking about trying.

http://naturalvitality.com/natural-kids-calm-multi/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
My oldest has a few OCDs in relation to his Asperger's. Stress shows in severity of hand washing/germ obcessing(he refuses to touch things with uncovered hands, won't be near people, in public, etc) and in anxiety with bad things happening.
He hears a noise, it must be a bad guy. He hears sirens, somebody is dead & he starts crying. If somebody corrects him(even minor, like "remember to write your name on your homework") he is personally devastated! Like his world has ended.
I tell his teachers at the beginning of the year how sensitive to negative comments he is, but even they are shocked at how over the top he takes it.

I'm like you, OP. I am so laid back that people sometimes ask me what I'm on!! Lol! I don't get it and I feel badly for him that he is always on such a high alert all the time. How exhausting!!! His fears tire me out & I'm not even the one feeling it all!

Lexapro has helped with his OCDs & general anxiety. He has clinical depression too, but I'd rather not have him taking a bunch of pills. So right now(past 2 years) we've only treated his depression with psychologist help.

I certainly am dreading the teenage years. Average kids are moody enough the way it is.
__________________
Lisa, Landon - 7 and Owen - 4
Weezy6703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
ktmelody
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 20,304
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy6703

What's Moral OCD? I tried googling and got a wide variety of results (something like this maybe? http://www.ocd-plus.com/ocd_hyper_re...d_morality.htm)

I certainly understand the 'discussing too much she gets out of control'. With DS many things if we try and talk about (especially when he makes mistakes - which I try and let him know it's 'okay' to do so) but he starts crying even worse.

Right now his psychologist doesn't want to medicate due to his age and wishes to try behavioral therapy first. I started journaling his behaviors so when we go to our next appointment I have a little more to go on (like what's been going on the past 2 weeks)

I just really really hate so bad that he seems so sad sometimes - and puts so much pressure on himself to do well and all the crying when he does mess up. I never ever come down on him nor put expectations - he brings it on himself. Of course in the instance where he went outside at school - i explained very calmly why it wasn't safe to do such a thing. I try and be very relaxed with him to let him know there's nothing to 'fear'.
Yes, but My daughter does not suffer crom scrupulosity, thankfully. She has no religious issues. It revolves around people doing the right thing, and issues with sex and body type stuff. Like if she hears that a friend of a friend skipped school, or did something wrong, she feels like she is at fault and did something wrong her self. She obsesses over it for days.

It is a tough road, but my daughter has improved a lot. She had major sensory issues as a child and no longer deals with that. She alos had issues counting things, and lininig things up, those are gone as well. Her major compulsions now are hand washing and rules.

I hope therapy works well for you. It helped us learn how to cope some, and helped her realize the world wouldnt end if something was off.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wonderful Nebraska!
Posts: 5,901
My Mood:
Re: Anyone here with OCD child?

Well, my son doesn't even understand word humor or just joking. He doesn't even understand social communication that isn't serving a purpose.
Like say, the weather. Or that your shirt is glittery. Or that the leaves are changing colors here & isn't it pretty?
Why would you even converse about such trivial things that don't matter? He doesn't get just shooting the breeze.
There's always gotta be a storyline. A linear thing(like your son & the colored shirts for the week). Why would you risk flying by the seat of your pants like that? He probably thinks you're nuts!!! Lol!

Negative comments, I mean like anything perceived negative from forgetting to write his name on homework to leaving his backpack on the floor to having his shoe untied. Any correction to him is seen as some huge failure in planning or his personal being. We move on, he focuses on it. And relives it over & over & over....

Like yesterday, he called 911 from school just because he wanted to ask them what would happen if someone called them & didn't need them. To him, this was rational & made complete sense. Why ask mom or the teacher when he could ask 911 directly?
Well, this didn't go over quite like he thought it would & he got in trouble.

But he didn't end up focusing on what he did & that he won't do it again(a mistake), he fixated on the one sentence his Principal said about if he is using the 911 operator, than someone who does need 911 can't get the help they need because the phone is busy.
Oh my lord, all last night he was crying freaking out thinking he had made some old lady die because she needed 911 and he was on the phone instead. Like literally.

Ugh. You really gotta watch words with this guy because if you say it, it happened. There is no "senario" or "pretend". Sometimes he's almost like a robot, it seems.
__________________
Bye bye.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
ssand23's Avatar
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,820
Re: Anyone here with OCD child?

My youngest dd had generalized anxiety, PTSD & we're working with her therapist to kind of fend off OCD. Her actions border on OCD & we're trying to keep it from going further. I tried to have washing dishes as part of her chores but I had to give her something else because it was taking her 30 minutes to wash 2 dishes. Not being lazy but that she didn't feel that they were clean enough. She is a perfectionist & it also takes hours to do homework. It has to be perfect or she can't stop.
She pulls out her eyelashes in the evening when she gets stressed. Her therapist suggested having her put lotion on her face before bed. I say it's part of taking care of your skin & I do it, too, so as not to draw attention to her OCD. But the lotion on her hands & face makes it hard to get a grasp on her eyelashes.
She does sand play therapy. She's not on meds but if things get worse, we may need to.
__________________
Stephanie,
Mom to my girls ('94), ('99) & ('02)
And my little guy (12/09)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.