Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
ashayla&acensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Prenatal Vitamins

Ok, so when I found out that I am expecting again and had to wait over a month to see a doctor, I went out and purchased prenatal vitamins. I went to Wal Mart and just bought the cheap-o ones that would last me until I went to the dr. I have not finished the package yet, and so I did not have my dr put in an order yet.
My question... What kind of vitamin do you use? Do you have one that has all the "extras" mixed in (dha, omega 3 etc..)? Do you take a fiber supplement? These vitamins that I am taking are really giving me issues with constipation, and don't have all the added "extras". I have been taking my kids dha/omega 3 supplements here and there. I saw that there are gummies that you can get for prenatal vitamins, anyone try those? I want to get the best I can find (without breaking the bank), and love the gummy idea (anything I can EAT is all good with me! ) Suggestions?

Advertisement

Married Momma of 4 DS (2-00), DD1 (12-05),DS(8-08)and DD2 (3-12)
ashayla&acensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
chayla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Prenatal Vitamins

I took the Albertson's brand with my first two pregnancies. I could not afford the prescription ones! I am taking the target brand now. When I was preggo with #3 I took the costco ones and then switched to the target ones. I don't know if there is a huge difference.

I do know that I have only been able to start taking these vitamins, they were making me so sick
Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
lydoomizelaine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm taking the target brand ones along with expecta lipil dha supplements.
lydoomizelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
MichelleSG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the cheapo generic prenatals but if you're having an adverse reaction (constipation, etc) to some then I'd change it up if I were you. I used the ones you can get at Costco beacuse it was 3 months worth for $20 and it does have the DHA. I highly recommend the DHA, it's brain food and the baby is taking yours away so you should supplement yourself. I also added more calcium and VITAMIN D because every one is lacking in vitamin d. Proven fact, vitamin d testing is what I do for a living and I'm glad vit d deficiencies are not something that you'll die from or we'd all be dead. I take something like 10 times the RDA and still can barely keep my levels where they need to be. Also think about adding more folic acid, you can't over dose on it but it helps avoid some birth defects and its cheap. The constipation may also be due to the pregnancy hormones, I have heard of that happening.
Crazy semi-crunchy scientist mama to 1 DD almost 10 yrs old and DD 2 born July '11. CDing, extended vaxing, ERF, even been known to co-sleep (gasp!), and trying my best to baby wear a very persnickety diva.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
ashayla&acensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with the cheapo generic prenatals but if you're having an adverse reaction (constipation, etc) to some then I'd change it up if I were you. I used the ones you can get at Costco beacuse it was 3 months worth for $20 and it does have the DHA. I highly recommend the DHA, it's brain food and the baby is taking yours away so you should supplement yourself. I also added more calcium and VITAMIN D because every one is lacking in vitamin d. Proven fact, vitamin d testing is what I do for a living and I'm glad vit d deficiencies are not something that you'll die from or we'd all be dead. I take something like 10 times the RDA and still can barely keep my levels where they need to be. Also think about adding more folic acid, you can't over dose on it but it helps avoid some birth defects and its cheap. The constipation may also be due to the pregnancy hormones, I have heard of that happening.
Thank you! I was afraid of adding TOO much of something, so this helps. I think I will take a trip to the pharmacy and add Folic Acid, my OWN DHA supplements, and vitamin D. I am also going to get a Fiber supplement. Kinda tired of those issues

Old 10-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm just taking the cheapy Walmart ones, but if the constipation keeps up I may have to switch.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using DS Forum
TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
ashayla&acensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS8213 View Post
I'm just taking the cheapy Walmart ones, but if the constipation keeps up I may have to switch.

So... The constipation is prolly from the Wal Mart vitamins huh? Did you notice the gummy prenatals there? I think I will get those, and use the ones I have after baby??? IDK, I don't want this issue!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
MichelleSG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BTW I also tried the Target chewey vitamins but they are more expensive than the Costco because you have to take 2 a day. Plus I' not all that into sweets and they are like a chewy candy. As for the constipation I only have issues with it when my ob puts me on some kind of progesterone laden pill or implanon. Short of that I tend to have the opposite gastrointestional issue and I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure whats worse.
Crazy semi-crunchy scientist mama to 1 DD almost 10 yrs old and DD 2 born July '11. CDing, extended vaxing, ERF, even been known to co-sleep (gasp!), and trying my best to baby wear a very persnickety diva.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
VWgurl619
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am taking the nature made ones now... I've had the prescription ones and a few others, but every one of them has made me constipated or not helped with it... O guess it's just the pregnancy thing for me. :/

https://www.facebook.com/MickeyWorldTravelSaraRobinson
VWgurl619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
TS8213
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashayla&acensmom

So... The constipation is prolly from the Wal Mart vitamins huh? Did you notice the gummy prenatals there? I think I will get those, and use the ones I have after baby??? IDK, I don't want this issue!
I'm guessing so. I've heard you can also take 2 Flintstone vitamins per day, too.

TS8213 is offline   Reply With Quote