Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Are teeny-tiny dipes worth it?

Ok, I know tiny dipes are fun and cute and all that, and I do have a few of them, but with the new baby set to arrive any day now, I'm wondering if it's really worth it to buy a bunch of NB diapers or just suck it up and use prefolds/covers till he grows a little? With DJ, I use mostly pockets or fitteds and keep a few AIOs in the diaper bag. I keep saying I'm going to try prefolds on him sometime when dh is not around (so that if it's a total disaster I don't have to deal with him too!) but I keep forgetting or just don't have the energy to experiment. I have a dozen preemie prefolds, a handful of assorted covers (Proraps, Rikki Wraps, Bumpy Cover, Stacinator, Polar Bummis, and some others), and I'm working on some longies while I'm patiently ( ) waiting. I also have a couple of NB AIOs and a couple of fitteds, and a couple of small FB. I know everybody raves about KL0's but I'm not a big fan of snaps and I'm just trying to decide if it's really worth the money. I thought about having the preemie prefolds made into fitteds, but again, is it worth it?

The thing that I think is scaring me is the bf poop...will a prefold absorb it or will it wind up everywhere? And how hard is it to get the hang of folding a prefold on a squirmy newborn? And do you ever really get the hang of snappi-ing? I only tried it a couple of times and it wasn't pretty! By the way, DJ was early but he weighed 6-2 at birth (but he was long and SKINNY!) He weighed almost 11 pounds and had chubbed up nicely by 1 month. Chances are, this baby is going to be early as well...but hopefully he'll plump up fast on mommy's milk too...

What do you think?

Advertisement

bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are teeny-tiny dipes worth it?

I'm with you mama... I have all the same questions!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a 6pd 6 oz baby and it was worth it. Kissaluvs were too big.lol
So, we found PattyNaps Basics and those ROCKED! They fit until about the three month mark. She got really chubby at aobut 3 weeks and fit ehr throguh that stage.
They fit right after birth and they are awesome at keeping that poo contained.

HTH
kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

I think it is worth buying NB. Ihave a 2 wk baby looking like the rug flipping rats right now becasue I didn't invest enoguth in the NB dipe.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd say get some cheap fitteds for that size. You don't really need super absorbency, but a fitted will be beneficial for containing a yellow mess.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:33 AM   #6
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

It's worth it. My baby exploded out of prefolds whenever he pooped.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
amyers
Registered Users
seller

(sorry for the errors, teething baby has one hand!)

for us they were worth it . . . dd was just under 5.5 lbs, and even the nb stuff we had didn't fit well at first. we used nb stuff well into her third month. . . .she's still mostly in smalls

but we didn't use pfs. . . dh took one look at them and said he'd only do cloth diapers if he didn't have to use THOSE. LOL

A
Old 06-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
mom2hancj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep in mind at the time ds was born I knew nothing of the real cds out there I had wanted to cd all my babies but knew nothing but gerber pfs and pins w/ plastic pants. I quickly moved to sposies with all my kids...anywho with my baby I actually had bought a lot off of ebay of chinese prefolds and covers per recommendation of a friend. (She still never filled me in on the whole fitteds with velcro or snaps or aios) I just took a prefold and wrapped it up around his bum and then put the cover on....I didn't use snappis or pins when he was first born. It worked great for us and as long as the dipe was spread out over his bum good it kept everything in. Good luck with your new babies.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought only small dipes and infant prefolds and then when Sophia arrived she went home from the hospital weighing 5lbs. So I had to use sposies for almost 3 mos before she fit into the cd's. So this time I have bought nb dipes, still have my smalls, and even bought 5 preemie pf's just in case. My first dd was only 6.11 so I dont have huge babies. And when smalls dont fit till 8lbs (generally) thats a long time in sposies...Good Luck!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #10
monkeylove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I had a nine pounder, so I have almost the opposite experience in that I had sooo many newborn diapers that I could have left behind all together and just gotten smalls, BUT that being said I really used the NB dipes exclusively for at least the first month and was happy with them...my guy is 15 lbs at 2 &1/2 months so they don't fit now....
I ordered the preemie prefolds, too but I really just am too lazy for prefolds