Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
When did you move your child from a toddler bed to a reg. bed?

And did your child have issues with falling out?

Debating on this... probably not going to be really soon, but just wondering about when people usually do this and how it works out.

Advertisement

Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: When did you move your child from a toddler bed to a reg. bed?

My kids went right from the crib to the twin bed, they did just fine. I used the bed rails for them.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD1 moved from her toddler bed into a twin captain's bed right after she turned 3. She has never fallen out, although sometimes her arm or leg are draped over the side. The headboard and one side of the bed are pushed against the wall, so she only has one side to fall out on anyway. We didn't have a rail on the toddler bed and she never fell out of that either.
kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
DD moved from a crib to a twin bed at age 2. She fell out twice in the first couple weeks and never again. She just had to learn where the edge was since she had a habit of leaning against the rails in her crib.

ETA: I was worried that DD would resist the change or start wandering around her room in the middle of the night. But she instantly fell in love with her bed. After searching and searching for the perfect twin bed, DH just decided to buy some wood and build her one, so she was ecstatic! She actually slept better in her new bed than she had in her crib. And even though it had no rails, she never wandered out of her bed until she woke up in the morning.

Last edited by Janine; 10-03-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD moved at 2.5 (when we gave the toddler bed to DS). She has never fallen out, no bedrails.

DS moved at 18 mths (when I got tired of nursing him while scrunched into his toddler bed b/c he wouldn't sleep if I took him into our room). His is the top bunk (separated, in use it's like a reg twin bed), so it has a rail. He has slept in other twin/dbl beds in hotels/ext family homes since that same time and has never fallen out.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
loveskitten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She was 15 months and we were concerned that she was a little young but we were expecting #2 in a few months so we made the move. She did not fall out and took to it just fine.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My oldest 3 kids were in twins with rails by 20mo and never have had a problem. I actually move them from crib to twin. We just don't do toddler beds.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

Man, do I feel wierd now; my DD is almost 4, and she's still in a toddler bed. xP

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
DD moved from a crib to a twin bed at age 2. She fell out twice in the first couple weeks and never again. She just had to learn where the edge was since she had a habit of leaning against the rails in her crib.

ETA: I was worried that DD would resist the change or start wandering around her room in the middle of the night. But she instantly fell in love with her bed. After searching and searching for the perfect twin bed, DH just decided to buy some wood and build her one, so she was ecstatic! She actually slept better in her new bed than she had in her crib. And even though it had no rails, she never wandered out of her bed until she woke up in the morning.
So how cool is this bed? Sounds pretty cool....I would love a pic if you would like to share.

DD is 16 months and still very happy in her crib. DS is Due in Jan and will sleep in our room in a bassinet for the first few months. I suspect DD will be around 2 when we move her out of the crib and into a toddler bed so that DS can have the crib. We have the frame already, just need another crib mattress. To me, I am in no hurry to move her to a twin. They take up more space....so until she is too big for a toddler bed or asks for a big bed, she can sleep in it. I would expect until 4 or 5...but I don't really know. Heck, as happy as she seems in her crib, I hate to take it away and almost consider getting another crib. I would be the parent who leave her in a crib until she is 4 lol

Last edited by solarbabies; 10-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
MavericksMama
Registered Users
seller

My DD is 3 1/2 and sleeps in a twin bunkbed that has a toddler mattress in it. So if she rolls off the mattress, she just lands in the frame of the bed. And we have it surrounded with folded quilts, so she continues to sleep even if off her mattress.
MavericksMama is offline   Reply With Quote