Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to parent exceptionally high needs children?

My dd is only (almost) 8 months old and I feel like I don't know where to turn. She is and has been exceptionally high needs from the moment she came home.

She does have reflux and milk protein allergies, so I thought I had at least somewhat of an explanation for some of her behaviors. But not so much anymore. It goes in phases, sometimes worse than others, and now is a bad time. She just SCREAMS and yells all day long. Hysterically. She'll nap, wake up crying. She tantrums, and has been sice 6 months old. I don't like to leave the house with her because of her behavior and I am embarrassed most of the time because people always look at me like I am some horrible person because my baby is screaming.

How do you cope?

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to parent exceptionally high needs children?

Is she on medication for her reflux? My ds had severe reflux and this is exactly how he behaved before he was on the medication and when it was time for a dose increase. Reflux meds are weight sensitive and the dose needs to be increased when they gain weight. For a baby to scream like that all day long, something is wrong. That is way beyond just crying for attention. I'd get her to her doctor and get to the bottom of it.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I agree with pp, sounds like there may still be issues with the reflux. Sometimes the only outward sign is pain/fussiness. Also, if you've started solids maybe there is milk protein hiding in something your feeding her?? Or maybe she has a sensitivity to something else now that she's eating more??
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes, she is on meds for her reflux. She has been on prevacid since she was about 2.5 months old. I am trying to be careful about her solid food intake, but that is a good point about milk hiding somewhere, I will certainly have to do some more digging into ingredients and watch her more carefully.

The thing about her screaming is it isn't all the time. Meaning she'll go a couple of months with just an off day or two, and then she'll go through a period of almost non stop screaming and it feels like she never stopped. When she is in a good phase, she is happy and sweet, though still high needs. Would it still be a medication thing if it comes and goes like that?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Could be the medicine. If she has gained weight, she may have outgrown the dose. Back off the solids altogether. Ds didn't do well on solids at all until he was nearly 1. Watch how much you feed at one time. Ds never did well with more than 4 oz at a time until he was nearly 18 months old. Over feeding makes reflux worse.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Is she maybe teething? Teething pain comes and goes and can start a long time before a tooth shows up.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
NiNi
Registered Users

Im trying to figure it out with my 5 month old. The local medical school...a group of students was doing a case study on high needs children and they met mine, said he's the most extreme case they've seen out of 50 patients. Ha. Currently: I babywear, literally at least 10 hours a day.

sent from my droid x...excuse all typos and autocorrect!
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Totally sounds like my middle child. SEVERE reflux and colic till 8 months and she is lactose intolerant. she loves any kind of food but it does not love her. She's 2 and its just like you described. When she is happy, she is super happy and when not, watch out! I take care of a lot of kids, I know she isn't "normal" as far as that goes. reviewing her diet constantly does help. I remember I stayed at home so much those first few months. I went to church one Sunday and some newer members asked who I was....and my husband is there every week and they didn't know who I was because I missed so much.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd call and ask for a ped GI consult. That sounds like something else is wrong.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #10
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like my son was.

Watch what she is eating we didnt eat much until a year a few bites of this and that ... make sure she is eating NOTHING acidic. Dont give her anything processed either (the hide milk EVERYWHERE)

If it seems severe I would schedule wiht a gi and have him take a look at her. You do want to be careful that she isnt getting scarring from the reflux.