Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
lilylouhoo
Registered Users
Formerly: lilylouwho
seller
seller

Question A lot of pain on one side ??

I'm having a lot of pain in one breast but can't figure out why. My son is 3 months old and sleeps 9 hours almost every single night so I usually wake up pretty engorged in the morning. I usually wake up before he does so I pump a good amount out and then nurse when he wakes up. Last night he woke up in the middle of the night and ate a little. I was going to switch sides but he was totally asleep so we went back to bed. Of course when I woke up I was engorged on one side. The baby woke up too so I just fed him from that side instead of pumping. I was really tired so I fed him while laying on my side. Usually when I'm engorged I have a little bit of soreness for a while. I assume that's just from being so swollen. Today that pain has not gone away and seems to be getting worse. I thought maybe it was a clogged duct but I am not sure. It's not mastitis as far as I can tell. I've had that a few times and this does not seem the same. I did notice that there was barely anything in my nursing pad this morning and usually it would be pretty full at that point. That also made me think clogged duct. I tried pumping and feeding him from that side and massaging the painful part which was just the bottom at that time. The whole thing feels a little swollen. I don't really know how to explain it. It feels like the inside layer is swollen but it isn't hard like I assumed it would be. There's the inside "guts" part that hurts and then the squishy layer on the outside. When I had mastitis and when I am engorged the whole darn thing is hard. I got 2.5+ ounces from that side when I pumped this afternoon and then he ate more so it's not totally clogged, if it is even clogged at all. Now it hurts on the bottom inside part and also the inner side too (towards the center of my chest). Is it possible that I just damaged the tissue by feeding him while laying and applying pressure to an area that was already swollen and engorged? Strange that it seems to be getting worse though. It seemed a little better after pumping and feeding but it a lot worse now. Could it still be a clogged duct? Maybe it unclogged a little but then clogged back up? I don't really know what to make of this or how to fix it. I took a hot shower and tried massaging it too but didn't feel anything abnormal other than that one side being a little swollen overall. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Advertisement

lilylouhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller

Re: A lot of pain on one side ??

I had a lot of aches and pains that could not be explained on both breasts, and the doctor just said that I was going through "changes". I know that's not much help, but I was always worried about it, when there ended up being nothing to worry about.
I'm sorry I could not be better help, mama.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can you feel a lump? Each time I've had a clogged duct, I could feel a distinct lump (think dime to quarter size).
Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try ice packs to reduce any swelling (or a bag of peas). I would nurse and pump that side often to get it out if it is a plugged duct. I would suggest either waking the baby to eat in the night or getting up and pumping. It sounds like 9 hours is too long for your body.

((HUGS)) I hope you feel better soon.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
fivetimemommy
Registered Users
seller

If there is a lump or "hard spot" it could be a clogged duct. Try offering that breast first, and also hot/cool compress..... I had that twice and both times it was a clogged duct forming (2 days after the pains/aches started i felt the lump) not fun... hopefully you get some relief soon.
fivetimemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
lilylouhoo
Registered Users
Formerly: lilylouwho
seller
seller

I was having trouble finding a specific lump. It seemed like the pain was deep in the center of the tissue so maybe I was having trouble finding it. I did massage and use hot compresses and pump, etc a lot last night and the pain is gone. The problem is that now the supply on that side is a little lower than on the other. What is a good way to increase the supply on that side without decreasing it on the other?

Last edited by lilylouhoo; 10-07-2011 at 06:50 AM.
lilylouhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd nurse, nurse, nurse on there and try to apply warmth on it. I can always tell the difference between a plugged duct (just a sore spot that resolves in about a day with nursing, heat, and massage) and mastitis (I get a horrible fever and teeth-chattering chills along with the sore breast). Best way to get milk supply up is to nurse more on that side.