Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
cookiejewels8
Registered Users

I smell like maple...now what?!

DH informed me tonight that my pee smells like maple (I've been taking fenugreek for a few days now..actually I think it's been a week). He said time to get the Eggos!! My question is, now what? DD is still nursing like crazy & that makes me think she's still not getting enough. Plus the fact that when I pump I get next to nothing. Should I continue to take more fenugreek?? When the supply is up to par you stop taking it, correct?

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

How old Is baby? When was last wright check? A constantly nursing baby is not a direct reflection of supply.....
Old 10-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I smell like maple...now what?!

Yeah, you might just have a baby who likes to nurse a lot. Some love it more than others.

Is baby gaining well lately? Producing enough poop and pee diapers? That's really the only useful way to know if your supply is ok.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Don't go by the pump! I was the same way with my fist two. They were gaining fine, had plenty of output, but I would pump and get hardly a few drops so was convinced I had supply problems. I lost confidence in myself and started giving bottles. Gradually it lessened my supply because I never could get much with pumping, then I got lazy with pumping, and they eventually got more bottles until weaned by 4 months.

Now I rarely pump. I just nurse on demand. Sometimes he can go longer, sometimes not as long. But I've never worried about my supply this time.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
cookiejewels8
Registered Users

Thanks ladies. DD is 7 wks old today. She's definitely going through plenty of wet/dirty diapers everyday. I guess I need to learn to not worry about how much I'm getting when I pump like you said. It's just frustrating when she constantly wants to nurse but all I hear is suck suck suck and hardly any swallowing.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiejewels8
Thanks ladies. DD is 7 wks old today. She's definitely going through plenty of wet/dirty diapers everyday. I guess I need to learn to not worry about how much I'm getting when I pump like you said. It's just frustrating when she constantly wants to nurse but all I hear is suck suck suck and hardly any swallowing.
For how long? She may be comfort nursing, which instinctual and normal
Old 10-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
For how long? She may be comfort nursing, which instinctual and normal

Yep! DS comfort nursed for hours each day. He still comfort nurses
Old 10-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
cookiejewels8
Registered Users

It may be comfort nursing but she seems to get flustered sometimes, pull away then latch on again like she's hoping there will be more there next time. All I hope for is that tonight she sleeps better than last night, I need to de-zombify myself!!
Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:
Mine does that too. She is 5 weeks old. Especially in the evenings and if she is growth spurting allll night long. +cry+ long as you have poops and wets...you're all set!

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

6-8 weeks is classic growth-spurt time! All that sucking is stimulation you need to signal more milk to be made. Let her nurse and nurse and nurse - that is the best thing to do to increase supply. Like pp said, pumping doesn't tell you how much you have. Also, when you are taking fenugreek to increase milk supply, you should be taking 3-4 capsules 3x/day (up to 12 capsules per day) and you should smell like syrup. Blessed Thistle is a good complimentary herb to take with Fenugreek and many mom's don't see a difference unless they take them together. In a week, you should already see/feel a difference.

You can also try lactation cookies, steel-cut oats (oatmeal) and other galactagogues. I agree with other posters, though, that if baby is gaining normally, peeing and pooping plenty, those are better indicators than what you can pump.

Check kellymom.com for normal weight gain at 7 weeks and how to know if you have a low milk supply and what you can do about it. Kellymom.com has a TON of great info. GL!