Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Beef stew chunks recipe - not stew or rice

This pops up in the search so much it's overwhelming. What do you make with beef stew chunks besides stew or over rice? Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Beef stew chunks recipe - not stew or rice

LOL your criteria rules out our favorite: hayashi! It's Japanese beef stew over rice. Sorry. It just made me giggle to think that I got both of your no things in one dish.

If the chunks are big enough you could maybe make shish kebabs if they're not a chewy cut or you cook them quickly (med. rare), but most often stew chunks are labeled that way because they need long slow cooking to be tender. Niku jaga might be something you'd like. It's stewed potatoes with beef, but the soup part is reduced to practically nothing, so it's not like American stew at all. JustHungry.com usually has good recipes and there's probably a Cooking With Dog video that shows how it's done on YouTube.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I make beef stroganoff or beef bourguignon, which is sort of stewish, but not. Those are two favourites here. No recipes because I kind of wing them, but they are pretty straight forward and there are a ton on google. I also use beef cubes to make beef barley soup.... yummm....
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Beef stroganoff is my go-to. I also cut it up into smaller chunks and do stir frys, which I do serve over rice, but is "different."
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandis View Post
LOL your criteria rules out our favorite: hayashi! It's Japanese beef stew over rice. Sorry. It just made me giggle to think that I got both of your no things in one dish.

If the chunks are big enough you could maybe make shish kebabs if they're not a chewy cut or you cook them quickly (med. rare), but most often stew chunks are labeled that way because they need long slow cooking to be tender. Niku jaga might be something you'd like. It's stewed potatoes with beef, but the soup part is reduced to practically nothing, so it's not like American stew at all. JustHungry.com usually has good recipes and there's probably a Cooking With Dog video that shows how it's done on YouTube.
That sounds delicious. I love potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
I make beef stroganoff or beef bourguignon, which is sort of stewish, but not. Those are two favourites here. No recipes because I kind of wing them, but they are pretty straight forward and there are a ton on google. I also use beef cubes to make beef barley soup.... yummm....
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Beef stroganoff is my go-to. I also cut it up into smaller chunks and do stir frys, which I do serve over rice, but is "different."
To show my lack of cooking knowledge, I thought beef stroganoff was made with hamburger?

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
MichelleSG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beef stroganoff with hamburger? Ewe, no try it with beef chunks. Ground beef is good for hamburger, meatballs or meatloaf. Everything else can be made with better cuts of meat. My go to with beef chunks is Sinigang but that's which is to phillipinos what chicken soup is to Jews. You could call it a beef stew but it's so not. It's more like a tamarind base vegetable soup that tastes unlike anything you'll find in European foods. It's not funky like a lot of Asian stuff (I won't touch seafood, makes me want to heave) because it doesn't have fish sauce or anything like that unless you want to make it that way. So if you're feeling super adventurous and are near an Asian market look for the Knorr packet (yes, I know Knorr isn't terribly Asian but they make it) of Sinigang soup base. It's not too wild for most white boys, my hubby loves it, my kid too (she's so white she glows, dunno how I outbred the Asian).
Crazy semi-crunchy scientist mama to 1 DD almost 10 yrs old and DD 2 born July '11. CDing, extended vaxing, ERF, even been known to co-sleep (gasp!), and trying my best to baby wear a very persnickety diva.
MichelleSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

beef stroganoff
kebobs
stir fry
beef and noodles
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeymommy3 View Post
That sounds delicious. I love potatoes.

To show my lack of cooking knowledge, I thought beef stroganoff was made with hamburger?

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!
Well, you *could* make beef strog with hamburger, but why? It is amazing and delicious with real beef chunks.

Just to give you an idea, here is a link to Jamie Oliver's method - I do something similar, but I don't use brandy. I would use wine. Also I have not done lemon zest, and I would add a little flour to the dusting. The important thing is to smash the meat to tenderize it (I actually think this link has him using beef strips, but stewing beef would work as well).

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/beef-stroganoff-1
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here is the link to the nikujaga video if you're interested. Just substitute low or no sodium added beef broth for the dashi. It won't quite be the same, but it'll still be yummy! It's such a drag to have to hunt down a special ingredient you might not ever use again. Anyway, if you make it, I hope you enjoy it!
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote