Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Budgetting Question for Dual-Income Families

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothNoob View Post
How do you budget for your family for:
Groceries? $450/month (includes household - TP, dishwasher stuff, soaps, H+B, laundry stuff, sposie dipes for overnight)Eating out? we don't budget for this... we spend maybe $20ish each month out of our grocery money if it fits in.Household necessities? $200 for household upkeep (hubby is a carpenter and we're always doing upgrades/repairs)Clothing? $50
(and how many people in your family?) Me, Hubby, 4yo dd, 20mo ds
Hubby and I both work M-F 8-4ish jobs.
My comments are in orange.

Advertisement

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #12
Mommimi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We spend 3x as much eating out as we do groceries because of time. We choose wisely at resturant - daily deals online, value menu, no drinks, cheapy places that only take cash. That helps without sacrificing time and convinence.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Budgeting - it all goes in my account and I pay 99% of the bills. There are a couple that come out of DH's account. Incidently, I only work PT but I handle money a thousand times better, so we mutually agreed that I'd handle the finances. We sit down and talk once a week and look over the bank accounts, see where we're at for "extra" money and go over all the bills, any extras we had that month that were significant (such as having to buy a second carseat for $150 last month, etc). We plan ahead for big extras like that.

Eating out - we work different schedules, so that helps somewhat to hamper down on eating out, but we still try to go to lunch once or twice a week. We try to keep it at $100 - $150/mo for this. Two adults, one 14 mo old so he doesn't count. We do things like eat at Logans roadhouse for the $15 or $20 deal they run for an app, two meals, and a shared desert. The meals aren't huge but once you factor in the app and rolls, plus the meals, we are stuffed and I usually have leftovers for the next day. Or we go places like Mcalisters which is somewhat a sit down type restaurant, but you don't have to tip so that helps save $5 a pop. Things like that.

I also watch for coupons at little places like subway that have BOG1 free meal deals. So we can do a non fancy lunch but still eat out if we're out and about one day.

Our grocery/misc (paper products, misc household goods, etc) budget is on average about $175 every other wk and we'll do a mid trip run for $25 - 50 for a nice dinner to cook at home (hamburgers and orida fries for example) and some more milk, bread, etc. We both take lunch to work.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
PinkDenial
Registered Users

I'm seeing posts where some families are spending $200 or so on groceries for the month, and that includes household items. WHAT??!!!

We spend about $500 on groceries each month, and another $100 on household supplies like cleaning items, toilet paper, diapers, etc. We eat out too often, and we try to keep it down to $150 a month for that.
PinkDenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
Daniella Jean
Registered Users
Formerly: Danielliia
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkDenial View Post
I'm seeing posts where some families are spending $200 or so on groceries for the month, and that includes household items. WHAT??!!!

We spend about $500 on groceries each month, and another $100 on household supplies like cleaning items, toilet paper, diapers, etc. We eat out too often, and we try to keep it down to $150 a month for that.
My budget is $300 - $400, so not really what you mentioned, but groceries here are expensive and I don't find coupons to be worth my time. For us, we don't have too many household items that need to be bought, I make what I can myself, or use reuseables. Off the top of my head, I can think of dishwasher soap, dishwashing soap, and laundry detergent. Each of those lasts for probably 6 months.

We eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables, and only have meat when my husband buys and prepares it (it comes out of the extra budget, and I still don't eat it). I also try hard to plan ahead of time. There is a lot less waste when I plan out the meals for the week, and make sure to check the fridge/pantry first to see what we already have, or to see what needs to be used up.

Mommy to 3 princesses, K born November 2007 and L & C born May 2013
Daniella Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

The cost of living is definitely low where we are and we spend a lot more on eating out than groceries. Which we're OK with.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Groceries: $400 per month food. Feeds my PT daycare kids too(4 of them 4 days a week Bfast, Lunch, & snack).

Eating out: How I hate this expense!!! My hubby feels "poor" if he can't eat out a few times a week. Well, we ARE poor! But he gets really down if we don't, so we eat out dinner once a week & eat out lunch as a family on Saturday. He eats out twice a week lunch by himself/with co workers. I dislike paying someone for a service I can do better myself(ironic considering my profession, huh?) I'd rather have things to show for it, not food someone else made & fountain soda.
$400 per month

Household necessities:
Maybe $50? Not much spent here. Our dog food costs about that!

Clothes:
Maybe $50? We rarely get new clothes, so average throughout the year.

Gas:
$100(hubby uses 3/4 of it for work).
Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
Lisa921
Registered Users
seller

We spend $500 per month on groceries, but I buy a lot of organic products so it adds up quickly. This has gone up since I cut back my hours at work. This includes some household essentials, but anything deemed "home improvement" (hardware store stuff) goes in a separate category that rolls over each month.
Eating out- now that I'm working less I have a lot more time to cook. When we were both working 50+ hours a week, we ate out for dinner 1-2 times a week and we both ate out at lunch almost every day. I would guess that right now we spend $100 a month but it used to be over $200 per month and sometimes more.

We would spend a lot less on food if we were willing to eat at the cheaper fast food restaurants and/or eat more processed food and less organic. I think it's worth it though and I'm willing to cut corners elsewhere (no cable, rarely go out, severely curtailed clothing spending, etc).
Old 10-20-2011, 04:19 AM   #19
EmmaKai
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We buy organic too and I try to support our little neighborhood organic store as much as possible, thus spending more (they provide all local fresh produce).. To help trim down on cost of organics, we are starting to order boxes of seasonal veggies (organic) from local farms... We do farms markets too. We are family of 3, 2adults (one pregnant) and a toddler(pack all of our lunches and snacks everyday) and we spend $600+ in groceries a month without the box of veggies... Our largest expense by far. Once veggie box starts, will cut down a lot.... We also grow some veggies in garden.
We eat out once a week ($120/ mth) and don't buy clothes....love hand-me-downs.. Not a lot of households, maybe $30/mth? Our other big expense is vitamins and supplements.... $150 a month...
Gas is $100 a week, we both drive a lot for work....
EmmaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We split our bills a little differently than most I think but it works for us. We have separate accounts and separate bills we are responsible for (which is about 50/50 $ wise). For instance, he has rent and car insurance and his credit card and half of daycare while I have cell phone, half of daycare, my credit card, my student loans, electricity and water. Then, I buy 80% of the groceries (Im just better at it and like to be able to control what we eat), DH always foots the bill when we eat out (since its usually his idea. Im always like "Ive bought my food already-its at home-lol."). I buy all the household necessities, we split most everything for DS down the middle if its a big purchase (like a new stroller or a new bed). Otherwise, I just buy it (like if its clothes or babyproofing stuff or food etc). We buy our own clothes (but DH likes to surprise me often and I can NEVER turn down United Colors or Anthropologie even though its WAY too expensive for me to buy-I shop at Goodwill
We have 3 in our family :-)

Ive never really set a dollar amount on my variable bills (like groceries or DS clothes). Usually, I just pay all my bills due, put money into savings, make sure I have a certain amount before I get paid again, and then I can spend the rest if I desire. It helps we are both pretty responsible with $