Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help sell our house (picture heavy!!)

Full bathroom: get rid of rack over toilet

Advertisement

Last edited by sblakeley; 10-06-2011 at 02:15 PM.
sblakeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
heyuitsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi, my name is Naomi, and I am a detail freak. or at least, I will sound like one.
(wow, yeah, I finished typing it all up and I sound like a crazy woman. hopefully it is helpful like I think it is and not super annoying like it probably is. )

Ok, first off, WOW, it sounds like you did so much to your home, and it is beautiful!
Next….by post order:

~outside: I would take down the hammock and move all stuff off the back patio. If you have a chair or 2 that you could stick there for staging, that would be nice.

~outside: depending on how anal you want to be, you could get some weed-killer/round-up and spray the driveway…help get all the little sprouty things gone.

~kitchen: Not necessary, but if you have a larger photo/frame/artwork piece, I would hang it on the wall at the end of the kitchen…the photo that is currently up looks a little small and I think a larger one would suite the space well and make it seem bigger in there.

~dining: if possible, center the dining table under the light, it will allow people to walk all the way around the room and make it feel larger. If possible, maybe take out the hutch.

~basement: I think you could leave the weights, shows people options…guestroom, workout room, craft room, etc.

~basement: I would take out the coffee table to improve movement in the space.

~basement: take out kitty stuff.

~basement: maybe hang a large mirror or framed art on the wall above the bed, or on the far wall for staging.

~basement half-bath: I would take out the rug to show off the great tiling

~living room: roll up the rug and show off those awesome floors!

~living room: based on the first pic, is it possible to switch the couch and the end table so that the two pieces of sitting furniture make a better “L” shape…oh wait, is the couch angled on the wall for the lamp, I think? I would maybe flip the couch and table, get a table lamp and move the tall lap (with the super cool frames built in, how sweet is that?) to the door area (I’m assuming that is the front door).

~living room: Maybe move the coffee table (or the cedar chest, which ever is narrowest) to infront of the couch. Or remove both of those pieces.

~living room: I’d move the coat rack to the corner off to the left…just more visually pleasing than centered on the wall.

~master bedroom: wow, that exposed brick is beautiful!!!

~master bedroom: so long rug! Hello beautiful hardwood floors

~2nd and 3rd bedroom: if possible, I’d move one of the beds into the 3rd bedroom…it may help open up the 2nd a little more. I LOVE the toy storage thing in the 3rd bedroom…you could maybe change out a row or two of toys with clothing to show it off as extra closety type space.

~Full bath: for open house, have the curtain at least a little open…cuz everyone is going to pull it back anyway to see if it has a tub and what it looks like inside.

~general: no bugs in light fixtures.

~general tip for open houses…it sounds weird, but it seems to make the rooms brighter…if windows have blinds, put them down, but turned open (didn’t know how to phrase that, does it make sense?) and have all the lights on. For the windows, it allows lots of sunlight in, but helps defuse it and keeps the focus on the room…and bright rooms help sell houses I am convinced.

~general tip: all surface areas clear except for 2-3 items that are either decorative or make sense for that location

Last edited by heyuitsme; 10-06-2011 at 03:21 PM.
heyuitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
heyuitsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

another in general tip....I watch waaaaaay too much HGTV when i'm at my parents. I always think the houses that just the minimum out seem to look the cleanest and most open. If we had to sell our house, I would seriously consider renting a storage unit for a month or so (hopefully we we would sell that fast ) and moving a lot of excess furniture out. or more likely in our case as it is all second hand, miss-matched junk, curb it and just keep enough to stage. It would be a pain, but I think if it would help sell the house faster (and it has to get packed up anyway), getting extra dressers, end tables, books, off season clothing etc out of the house just opens it up and makes it look soooo good.
moving is a good excuse to purge anyway, may as well do it before you have to rush.

Last edited by heyuitsme; 10-06-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dear Naomi um I love you!!! And the details help so much!!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #15
heyuitsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblakeley View Post
Dear Naomi um I love you!!! And the details help so much!!
lol, thanks! I can confess, I got pretty excited when I saw your thread for the house was up. I LOVE decorating and am already on 'retainer' to help my in-laws stage their house when they are ready to sell it in a couple years.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyuitsme
another in general tip....I watch waaaaaay too much HGTV when i'm at my parents. I always think the houses that just the minimum out seem to look the cleanest and most open. If we had to sell our house, I would seriously consider renting a storage unit for a month or so (hopefully we we would sell that fast ) and moving a lot of excess furniture out. or more likely in our case as it is all second hand, miss-matched junk, curb it and just keep enough to stage. It would be a pain, but I think if it would help sell the house faster (and it has to get packed up anyway), getting extra dressers, end tables, books, off season clothing etc out of the house just opens it up and makes it look soooo good.
And ps I'm just as much of a details freak. It wasn't enough to bag the grass I had to get a leaf vacuum to get anything left.... and while confessing I have a sick obsession with cleaning products....
Old 10-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
estradaamyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree about showing off the floors. We bought ours because I loved the hardwoods! (But then again, the previous owners had rugs too- and they were strategically hiding flaws/ holes in the floors.)

And I also agree about the bathroom curtain. It is pretty busy and reflects in the mirror. I would pull it back so it doesn't show in the mirror. (Does that sound really weird?)
estradaamyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Lovely home! Make sure to take the stickers off the wall in the 2nd bedroom. The metal looking floral wall hanging in the master bedroom bugs me and you already know that most of the books in the bookshelf need to be boxed up and put out of sight. I love the basement half bath. The kitchen seems pretty cold. The garage needs to be at least half empty to show that they really will be able to park in there.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
UnschoolingFamily
Registered Users

My Mood:
Put the toilet lid DOWN! Nobody wants to see inside your toilet and weird people like me start gagging even just looking at the picture.

On HGTV, they always say to de-personalize so for starters, I think you should remove everything from thr outside of your fridge.

Every floor should be spotless and everything picked up. Most of your rooms look fantastic but obviously, a few are just lived in. I know you covered that.
When we were looking for houses, we were amazingly impressed by houses that were uber cleaned, uncluttered and that just made them look brand new and like the owners were immaculate. Any messy houses really turned us off, which is silly thinking about it, but they did.

You know that metal rack you have? I think HGTV would say to pack it up and put it away. Even empty, it gives the impression that the housr itself doesn't have enough storage, which you don't want anyone thinking.

Good luck! Your house is adorable, so it should sell well, I'd think.
UnschoolingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help sell our house (picture heavy!!) Updated OP with Questions 10/7!!

Bump with questions!!