Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
anyone doing anything to encourage labor?

I'm sitting on an exercise ball instead of a chair I'm really trying to hold off to see if I go past my due date before I take matters into my own hands, but after being checked yesterday I was disappointed and frustrated so I started looking into options

I don't think I'll resort to castor oil, having the poops and being in labor just doesn't sound like fun to me Plus, I read that it could possibly lead to baby having a bowel movement during labor and ending up with meconium in the amniotic fluid. But Evening Primrose Oil might be an option if my cervix doesn't progress some by next week's appointment. Oh and I also found a recipe for labor cookies, and recommendations that you eat a whole pineapple! The wind is blowing 40mph this week, so I haven't been able to go for walks but I'm thinking the kids and I will start going every day when it decides to settle down. And unfortunately DTD is out because it has been really uncomfortable (and even painful) during this pregnancy for some reason sorry dh

Advertisement

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?

Last edited by karabeth05; 10-07-2011 at 09:43 AM.
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone doing anything to encourage labor?

A whole pineapple? Will have to do that one as I have one on my counter that needs to be used and I LOVE pineapple!

Sitting on the balls but they've been doing nothing I can tell. Have 4 around the house as the kids love to sit on them to.

Sex.. Umm.. I'm uncomfortable as well. No mater how much lube it still burns.

Looking into the Labor cookies.

Last edited by bpure8; 10-07-2011 at 10:12 AM.
bpure8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Angel89411
Banned

I ate so much pineapple with DS1 it was ridiculous. Craved it, actually. All I had to show for it was raw, acid burned lips. And it was fresh and not canned.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been sitting and bouncing on an exercise ball instead of my computer chair, and trying to do a lot of walking, too. For me, those are more for making sure baby is in a good position than trying to get labor started, though.

We're still DTD pretty regularly, but that's just for fun.

Labor cookies sound yummy, I might make some just for a snack.

Just realized I probably shouldn't have even answered this, I'm not full term yet so we're in no hurry at this point.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My midwife comes today so I might ask her. But I've tried things in the past and they never work, so I'm assuming I just have to let things happen on their own as usual. I might try those labor cookies though just because they sound yummy. It can't hurt.

ETA: I probably won't try them until next week. I am almost 39 weeks and I'd like to be closer to my due date before I really try anything.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm 39 weeks, 2 days. Not trying anything special, beyond DTD even though it's not comfortable (and therefore, not exactly sexy!) I should be going for walks. I know it would make my back feel better...but so does laying on the couch doing nothing.
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't need EPO or pineapple as those are for effacement and I'm plenty good there. Have tried sex (with nipple stim), acupressure points, tons of walking (not to mention moving so lifting and whatnot that goes along with that), spicy food, exercise ball...and I have gotten desperate enough to at least purchase the castor oil but haven't tried it yet.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my 40 week appt today. My cervix hasn't changed any in a week. I'm still only at a 1. I have done the pineapple thing. Have been doing the EPO. Also did the nature's sunshine 35w. I asked about castor oil but the MW told me that it wouldn't do anything if I am not dilated to at least a 3 or 4. I have been sitting on a birth ball for weeks. I am frustrated. My DH's sister is here for when I go into labor and I hate that she just has to sit here and wait on me. Plus my MW only let's vbac's go to 42 weeks. Starting next week I have two appt's a week with NST's and an ultrasound.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nothing yet, but will start more whole heartedly on Tuesday if he hasn't come yet. I will be 40 weeks tomorrow and my ob is comfy with him hanging out until 42 weeks as per ACOG guidelines. After that, well, let's hope he decides to make his appearance before then.
Mama to Ria 5/08, Wyatt 10/14/11 and expecting #3 in April.
specialdelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

My midwive game me the green light, and lots of encouragement to do whatever i feel comfortable to help labor along. Baby's head is pretty much RIGHT THERE, she's mesuring at 8lbs and i was 100% effaced! I just finished walking 4 miles with hubby, and i'm definitely feeling some intense contractions! After weighing all the different opinions I decided to give castor oil a try...hasen't done a darned thing!! Haven't even had a BM!!! I've taken three doses and nothing from that. drinking lots of RLT and i do think that helps a bit but it's not enough on its own to really carry me through! Hoping it's real, but if it's not I'll wait :-)