Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

WWYD-Travel & new seat(Radian)?

In a few weeks we are flying to visit family for 3 weeks.I am the sole adult with 3 kids 3 and under and we plan to check our seats at baggage (using CARES harnesses onboard). The twins have Radian XTSLs and ODS has a Britax Frontier.I am concerned about fitting the three seats across in the back of vehicles while there (they will range from small 4 door sedans to vans).Also, for several months I have been contemplating turning ODS ( 4 in Dec.) back rf .So my question is should I buy a new XTSL for the trip (and probably use it rf when we get back until he outgrows it and then switch back to the Frontier) or is it just a waste to buy the seat when he could outgrow it within a year to six months and the twins cant use it since they have their own,though it could be a second seat for when someone goes with family in their car. ODS is about 37 lbs,43 in tall,and his seated shoulder height is 14 in.

Advertisement

Last edited by holl_ie; 10-07-2011 at 11:21 AM.
holl_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: WWYD-Travel & new seat(Radian)?

Is there any way that you can have seats waiting for you at the other end? Besides the dangers of the baggage handlers potentially damaging the seats when they're checked, you will be totally up a creek if they get delayed. I'd think about having your family meet you at the airport with 2 sceneras or evenflo tributes for the twins, and maybe an evenflo maestro for the 4 year old.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan
Is there any way that you can have seats waiting for you at the other end? Besides the dangers of the baggage handlers potentially damaging the seats when they're checked, you will be totally up a creek if they get delayed. I'd think about having your family meet you at the airport with 2 sceneras or evenflo tributes for the twins, and maybe an evenflo maestro for the 4 year old.
We tried that last time and it was a disaster.All three were expired or otherwise unsafe.Maybe I should buy some and have them shipped there? But what 3 are cheap and can fit 3 across in a small sedan?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

Would travel bags or boxes help for checking them?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ie

We tried that last time and it was a disaster.All three were expired or otherwise unsafe.Maybe I should buy some and have them shipped there? But what 3 are cheap and can fit 3 across in a small sedan?

The 3 she listed...2 sceneras and a maestro. If your family buys them ahead of time you won't have any problem. If you have to pay shipping it would be way cheaper for someone to just have the seats waiting for you. I wouldn't check a seat under any circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone...excuse any autocorrect mishaps!
Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ie View Post
Would travel bags or boxes help for checking them?

No.

Your seats are going to be out of your sight in the hands of people you do not know. You have no way of knowing how they are going to be handled or even if they're going to end up on the right plane. You're really going to be up a creek if you're going to New York (or wherever) and your seats end up in New Orleans. Aside from being dropped, kicked or otherwise mishandled, cargo in the plane can shift during the flight and they can fall or have something fall on them. I would get a luggage cart, bungee cords and a Maestro. Fold up the Radians and attach them along with the Maestro to the luggage cart. Push a stroller, pull a luggage cart and wear a kid on your back. If you are traveling with 3 small children the airport will issue someone a gate pass to come and help you get your kids and your stuff to the gate. It's going to be a pain but I would never risk checking seats.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

There is no one to get a gate pass with me.Dh is deployed,no family nearby,friend is taking us to the airport but will have her twins with her since her Dh is gone too.So I can carry on the radians,right?I may just order ODS a seat to have waiting for when we arrive and leave the Frontier here.If I do that should I get another Radian or if not what will fit 3 across in most sedans?
I REALLY Appreciate all the advice!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

Can a maestro be carried on the plane too?

Old 10-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

We have a city select double stroller with buggyboard we will be gate checking so all bags will be on my back/in stroller if in wearing one in the bb2.we also have a layover...

Old 10-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A frontier is going to have a hard time getting three across in many cars, a Maestro is much narrower and can go on the plane with you. Also if you contact the airline ahead, they can have someone meet you at the gate for your layover. My SIL has done this and someone comes and helps them get to their next gate.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote