Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Question Sick Kids

What's your take on sick kids? Do you let them come over to play? What if someone comes for a play date and one of their kids is sick? If you have an ill child do you stay home? I'll post my opinion in a few, but want to know others takes

Advertisement

jennyofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sick Kids

I think it depends on a lot of things. My mom runs a daycare and she takes children even on days that most daycares would immediately send them home. If a kid shows up sick on Monday, she may send them back home or at least try to "quarantine" them from the others, but if they just get sick during the week, she figures all the others have already been exposed anyway so it's no big deal. She's religious about hand-washing (the adults and the kids), she keeps the toys clean, doesn't allow the kids to run around and play with snacks, drinks, pacifiers, etc., and generally tries to use common sense but she usually figures that by the time the symptoms show up, everybody's already shared the germs anyway.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:47 AM   #3
ltelly00
Registered Users

Kind of depends on what it is. DD's daycare has the same "go with your gut" rule. If I feel she's too sick to be left, I'll stay home with her. If it's just a fever because of teeth or a snotty nose (I'm quite sure she has allergies), I'll go to work. I always call to check on her if I do go to work and the DC lady knows to call me anytime something changes!!
ltelly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

It depends on the illness. If it is a flu stay away, if it is a cold I could care less. I don't shelter my kids from illnesses and they develop antibodies to the germs becasue they've been around it. Because of this rarely are we sick, when we do it is very short lived. A flu hasn't hit our house in over 2.5years. When 2 of the girls had that flu I drove home for xmas still and 3 of the adults there ended up with the flu. The kids stopped throwing up the day we went down(about 15minutes into the 6hour trip) and were not sick again. Some of the adults who got sick did not show up until we'd been there for 3-4 days so they may not have gotten it from us. The adults were all sick on the same day.