Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What are rules on boosters?

Ok- We have 3 Radians which we LOVE, 2 highback boosters. Now I don't know the age changes and rules for weight etc but I'm a super paranoid mama and I'm almost afraid to every let my kids be without a seat. My oldest will be 8 in Nov and he's in the highback booster now (dunno if he should be but he's too big for the Radians)... he's something like 70 lbs. When do I go carseat less for him???

Also my 5 yr old is in a Radian but she's always fighting me on the seat. She wants to be in the booster (she's like 55 lbs).... when does she switch over?

Here in NC law says 8 or 80 lbs for carseat but doesn't say anything specific on boosters vs carseats etc. Should I keep him in a booster when he turns 8 till he's at least 80 lbs or ?

Thanks for letting me ask!

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are rules on boosters?

my MIL is pushing for just a low booster for dd who just turned 4. She keeps saying "Well, can't she just ride in the booster in my car for this one ride?" And I keep saying "NO" becuase I don't want dd to know it's an option yet.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah that's another issue. We have a suburban which the 3 radians and 1 booster stay... Then dh civic has a booster and 1 carseat (safety 1st) for rare occassions (he's gone working a lot), then mil car is Toyota camry which we switch between often to save gas (she lives with us)... Hers has 1 safety 1st and a booster. But I get Soooo tired of adding a carseat to mil car and the radians are Heavyyy. I'm almost 28 weeks preggo and can't handle the weight. But i can't afford to buy 2 more radians for mils car and not sure how to fit 3 across with what we have now. I could get maybe 1 more seat and MAYBE it would fit with a booster in the middle?? Ugh! Too many carseats!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell View Post
Ok- We have 3 Radians which we LOVE, 2 highback boosters. Now I don't know the age changes and rules for weight etc but I'm a super paranoid mama and I'm almost afraid to every let my kids be without a seat. My oldest will be 8 in Nov and he's in the highback booster now (dunno if he should be but he's too big for the Radians)... he's something like 70 lbs. When do I go carseat less for him???

Also my 5 yr old is in a Radian but she's always fighting me on the seat. She wants to be in the booster (she's like 55 lbs).... when does she switch over?

Here in NC law says 8 or 80 lbs for carseat but doesn't say anything specific on boosters vs carseats etc. Should I keep him in a booster when he turns 8 till he's at least 80 lbs or ?

Thanks for letting me ask!
Well, I don't know if this helps but my ten year old is about 55 inches and 93 pounds and she stills rides in a booster. As far as the five year old can she sit still enough to be in a booster? My eight year old just switched over a few months ago but she's teeny tiny.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was told to move the child when they outgrown the limits on each seat/booster... so in my case:

DS is in a recaro prosport, safe for harnessed to 50 inches/90 lbs. SO when he hits either 50 inches or 90 lbs i'll remove the harnass straps. safe with seat belt to 59 inches/120 lbs. So i will fight to keep him in that seat as LONG as I can, or until I need it for another child (but he would have to be over 80 lbs and past 8 years old for sure)
Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell View Post
Yeah that's another issue. We have a suburban which the 3 radians and 1 booster stay... Then dh civic has a booster and 1 carseat (safety 1st) for rare occassions (he's gone working a lot), then mil car is Toyota camry which we switch between often to save gas (she lives with us)... Hers has 1 safety 1st and a booster. But I get Soooo tired of adding a carseat to mil car and the radians are Heavyyy. I'm almost 28 weeks preggo and can't handle the weight. But i can't afford to buy 2 more radians for mils car and not sure how to fit 3 across with what we have now. I could get maybe 1 more seat and MAYBE it would fit with a booster in the middle?? Ugh! Too many carseats!!!
also remember that with 3 across they still have to be able to reach the seat belt to buckle in a booster... which in some cars is not possible with 2 car seats and a booster.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamilynn84 View Post
also remember that with 3 across they still have to be able to reach the seat belt to buckle in a booster... which in some cars is not possible with 2 car seats and a booster.
That's my problem how do I make it without buying radians? They're too expensive for us right now
Old 10-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

I'm no expert on the boosters, but I think your 8 YO needs to have one until he passes a 5-point test (I can't tell you what that means, though, lol). He should be ok in a NBB, though, depending on his size? And I think I've read that a good NBB for tight situations is the bubble-butt (again, I think that's what it's called). That should also help with your multi-car issue as it's super-portable.

I'd probably keep the 5-YO harnessed for a while longer, although my nephew was in a HBB at shortly after 5. He's a very safety-conscious kid, though, at would sit still and properly in the seat. But since you have radians for them I'd probably use those. What about putting a radian in the two cars you use most for your DD and then the bubble butt for DS?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Your 8yr old should still be in the booster. It's fairly rare for an 8yr old to fit in the adult belt properly for every ride. He should pass the 5 step test, which I don't have the link for, but I'm sure someone here has it. As for the 5yr old, it would depend on if he/she can sit correctly in it 100% of the time. Age 5-6 is when most kids are able to do this, but only you know which would be appropriate for her.
As for three across, you don't necessarily need a Radian. A narrow FF only seat is the Evenflo Maestro and it may work with the seats you have now. Which Safety 1st seat do you have? Some are narrower than others.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosehughes View Post
I'd probably keep the 5-YO harnessed for a while longer, although my nephew was in a HBB at shortly after 5. He's a very safety-conscious kid, though, at would sit still and properly in the seat. But since you have radians for them I'd probably use those. What about putting a radian in the two cars you use most for your DD and then the bubble butt for DS?
I'll look up the bubble butt- never heard of that but sounds wacky what a name! LOL

2 Radians have to stay in the suburban for my 3 and 2 year olds. Then the 5 year old could either 1. buy a cheapo safety 1st and put her with ds in a booster in the front bench of the suburban with MIL- tight but maybe do-able. Then newborn maybe I could swing the bucket infant seat inbetween the two Radians in the back bench (have to get 8 people in that suburban whew). THEN I could put the extra Radian in MIL's car and have 1 Radian, 1 safety 1st and MAYBE a booster? It'll be hard to get the buckle though like one poster mentioned. I KNOW I can't get 3 car seats across in MIL car unless at least 2 are Radians but where would I buy another Radian for my budget- like $60 or less? Yeah right