Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: What are rules on boosters?

It's more about height than anything. Here's a link that explains when they are ready to move out of a booster. http://www.tweensafety.org/_docs/5%20Step%20Flyer.pdf As far as the 5 year old goes, I would keep her harnessed until you think she will stay still the whole time on every ride in a booster. It would be a good idea to let her practice using a booster for shorter trips for a while. They outgrow harnessed seats when their shoulders get to the top slot (Radians don't follow this rule, the shoulders can go over the top slot), the tops of their ears reach the top of the car seat, or they reach the weight limit.

Advertisement

Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

evenflo maestro- will look into that too- thanks!! I'm not sure what the safety 1st is called- just a cheap one
Old 10-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Your 8 yr old may be ok without a booster, what you need to do is test him.... here is some good info. If he passes all the steps, then he doesn't need a booster. But remember that as long ashe has not outgrown the booster, there is no harm in using it.

As for the 5 yr old. It's kinda your preference. If she can sit correctly 100% of the time in a booster (no leaning to grab things, no putting the belt behind her, sitting up straight, ect) then she is ok in a booster. At 5, if she is mature enough to handle the rules, I wouldn't be against putting her in a booster. But if she still fits in the harness and you are willing to use it, it is the safest option for her.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It MUST be Bubble Bum booster cause the other is NOT it
Old 10-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #15
bama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamilynn84 View Post
I was told to move the child when they outgrown the limits on each seat/booster... so in my case:

DS is in a recaro prosport, safe for harnessed to 50 inches/90 lbs. SO when he hits either 50 inches or 90 lbs i'll remove the harnass straps. safe with seat belt to 59 inches/120 lbs. So i will fight to keep him in that seat as LONG as I can, or until I need it for another child (but he would have to be over 80 lbs and past 8 years old for sure)
I'm not that big NOW lol At 16 I was barely over 50inches and 90lbs.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #16
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell View Post
It MUST be Bubble Bum booster cause the other is NOT it
Yeah, I was just coming back in to post that; I forgot the name and bubble butt takes you to p*** sites: sorry! BubbleBum booster!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know nothing about ages and weights for boosters, but if you need a cheap narrow lbb the harmony from walmart is under $14 and is super narrow. It's the only way we could get three across on my MIL's tiny back seat with the seats we had at the time which was a Maestro (for a three yo) a radian for my 3yo, and a lbb for my nephew. Now we have two radians so we could probably get a way with a wider booster but at the time we were trying to do it while spending as little as possible.
There's obviously different colors but this was from my quick search. But again, I have NO CLUE if this is actually appropriate for an 8 yo, I just know it's narrow. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Harmony-Ju...-Camo/15047828

Last edited by slimy72; 10-08-2011 at 09:48 AM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #18
SkyeSpade
Registered Users
seller

From what I've understood about going into boosters, they are a maturity issue, not size or age. I've read a booster used properly is actually safer than a 5-point harness, but that "used properly" has to be 100% of the time.

As for leaving the booster, PP posted the 5 step test, and that's what you should use to decide!

Any typos are probably a combination of my phone and poor proofreading!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #19
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeSpade View Post
From what I've understood about going into boosters, they are a maturity issue, not size or age. I've read a booster used properly is actually safer than a 5-point harness, but that "used properly" has to be 100% of the time.

As for leaving the booster, PP posted the 5 step test, and that's what you should use to decide!

Any typos are probably a combination of my phone and poor proofreading!
There's actually no data at this time to tell us whether a high back booster or a 5 point harness is safer for an older child who is big enough and can sit still the whole time. There are valid points on both sides of the issue. Parents must just make the decision on how they feel about it at this time. Hopefully we'll get some more concrete evidence one way or the other in the future.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote