Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
threeweegreen
Registered Users
seller

They act like I plopped by boob on their table

At my brother and SIL's wedding I was told by my SIL that if I was nursing I should "excuse yourself to another room, because even if you have a cover on it isn't like people don't know there is a baby attached to your nipple under there. GROSS". Of course for the sake of tormenting her I proceeded to walk around the mall the following day, baby attached nursing as we shopped. She was MORTIFIED. I thought this was just HER, but the other day I was nursing at breakfast out with a friend and the neighboring table requested to move to a new table. I don't get it! It isn't like I plopped by boob out onto their table and offered them a taste. Since when did breastfeeding become a taboo thing to do?? I am doing what is best for my baby, if you don't like it too bad.

Advertisement

threeweegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When marketing "experts" made the boobs a selling sensation people got normalized to that and now they are seen as an instrument for sex and pleasure so clearly feeding our babies that way is gross because they shouldn't be used for THAT. Ugh. Makes me sick. I got in an argument with DH one night because I met up with him at a burger/tavern place with all the kids. He went for a bike ride with a group of guys from work. Families were invited and I knew another mom would be there with her kids, one still nursing at night at 18 months. Anyway, DH asked me to nurse ds before I came because if I had to nurse ds there it would make the guys feel uncomfortable. I told him I would nurse ds when he was ready to nurse no matter where I was. Fortunately I live in a pretty crunchy bf friendly area so I don't think too many people care around here b
Old 10-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Re: They act like I plopped by boob on their table

Posts like this make me so sad, and really nervous, too. I nursed my oldest for 3 years, nip-ing until he was older than 2, and never had any issues. I feel like my day is coming with this one; seems like everyone has confrontation eventually.

Its so sad that so many people have problems with feeling their children in the NORMAL way.

I'm so sorry, mama.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
poppan
Registered Users
seller

That's annoying! So sorry you're having to deal with that. I'm lucky that where I am a lot of people BF so most don't blink an eye. I don't even use a cover (don't own one).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Angel89411
Banned

Wow. Sounds like a personal problem to me. But thanks for reminding me that I want to print out a few copies of the state law on BFing to have on hand. I will try to be as respectful as possible, but I am not going to be a homebody because people can't grow up and accept breastfeeding.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
syntaxerror
Registered Users
seller

What is "crunchy?"

And what is wrong with people? I'm sorry, that must've stung a bit.
syntaxerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
threeweegreen
Registered Users
seller

I feel like God intended the woman's breast to be for feeding her children. I nurse my kids until they choose to wean on their own, and it frustrates me that at only three months old I am already getting the dirty looks and comments from people because she is nursing. I refuse to seclude myself (or nurse in the car or GASP....the dirty bathroom) because others feel like a woman's breasts have become solely a sexual object. In my opinion, my baby deserves the best and if she gets hungry at breakfast, I am not going to let my food sit and get cold so I can nurse in the car and spare neighboring tables the thought that a baby is attached to my nipple, whether they can see it or not.
threeweegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

People are so ridiculous. I am getting ready to go on a week long trip with my mother and DS will be 4 months old. She is so worried about how I will nurse him in public since he hates a cover! Ummm, even without a cover you can't see anything. I'm feeding a baby, not a big deal lol
Old 10-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've never had that experience. Either I am lucky or blissfully oblivious! Most of the time, we nurse in a sling, so people stare and tell me how sweet it is that my baby (now 17 months) is sleeping and how neat my "baby bag" is. Most of them have no clue we are nursing. I never use a cover if not in a sling though, what's the point. They're just boobs, and if ever confronted with it, that's what I would say too.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

*whips breast out, squirting in their direction* "oh, you guys need any milk for your coffee??" LOL ok so I would never do that, but that is the scene I would be playing out in my head! People are so ridiculous. I'm sorry you had to deal with that!

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote