Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
ramiahj
Registered Users

How long can you freeze purees?

I have way to many super ripe pears that a friend gave me from her orchard. I have made every pear recipe I know of and we are just tired of eating pears now. The little man is only 3.5 months old so solids are a few months off for him. I was thinking about blending and freezing some for him, but will they last that long in the freezer? I hate to see these pears go to waste!

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How long can you freeze purees?

It depends on what it is. In general most will be fine for 6 months- some shorter some longer. I would probably wait a bit because they start out eating so little you might not make it through everything. We're not doing this anymore, but I always found it easier just to make stuff as I was going to feed it. I occasionally just made baby food at random times to freeze. But it felt like a wasted step and it doesn't really save any time. So if ds was trying green beans- I'd cook the whole frozen bag (or however much) and puree. Pull out what I needed for the next 2 days and freeze the rest in ice cube trays.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

I didn't like to keep mine very long, maybe a month or so. Someone I used to know made ginger pear chutney for adults and it was quite delicious.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
creative*genius
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was just reading in my baby food making book last night. It said 4 mos for purees with fruit and veg, but 1-2 months for those with milk, breastmilk or meat.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

I keep frozen purees for 4-6 months. Have you thought of making pear sauce (like applesauce) and canning or freezing it? Also pear cobbler filling is super tasty (just make it like apple pie filling and reduce the cooking time)
Old 10-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeller View Post
I keep frozen purees for 4-6 months. Have you thought of making pear sauce (like applesauce) and canning or freezing it? Also pear cobbler filling is super tasty (just make it like apple pie filling and reduce the cooking time)
I second the canning idea. I canned a bunch of pears and they are good for about a year. http://www.pickyourown.org/canningqa.htm#storing Canning takes some time but its not complicated and its great to do with a friend - makes less work and more fun!

Since LO is just barely getting into eating at 10.5 months old, I'm glad we didn't freeze them. They might not have been used in time.