Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Ecing...fill me in

Ok I'll admit when I heard about ECing I said give me a break! But I'm thinking a little bit of EC may work in our family. Alex always takes a big dump, by far the biggest of the day, within 5 minutes of getting her 1st diaper on (after nursing in our bed). I thought it would be great if this dump could be in the toilet because it ALWAYS happens. I wouldn't mind not wasting a diaper on this big poop and cleaning it up. So what could we do? She is sitting for short periods. If I got one of those things you put on top of the toilet, do you think it would work, do you think she'd go poop?

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ecing...fill me in

Im curious to hear what other people say, but I was thinking about trying EC part time too. I think that as long as you dont stress over making it happen, it cant hurt at all. It would just get her used to the potty and used to her body's signals. Go for it! Im going to pull out a little potty chair since my DD usually pees a ton first thing in the morning and see what happens...
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
tng_mama
Registered Users

I was going to ask the same question, you beat me to it. I'm watching replies.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

We use the $10 Bjorn potty from BRU. It is smaller scaled for lil heineys. Works great. There is alot of ec info out there. Ummmm the EC store has a whole hub of info. I got a book somewhere round here bout EC.
You can basically anticipate the need to go by timing, intuition or body language ect.. Sierra is real hard to read so I potty her by intuition. You can just take the plunge and put baby right on a lil potty and make a pssssss noise as he/she goes. I highly suggest you do a google search on this and read more bout it. it is facinating!

Sarah
Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

what is ec?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:49 AM   #6
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

We did a fiar amount of EC'ing with the second two kids. Jude never pooped (seirously, about every 3 weeks, that was it) so it was real easy to anticipate and jsut let him hang out on the pot for poops. Peeing was a little trickier to manage because hes a real quiet kid, so his signal wasn't as obvious as Lena's, but we did alright once we figured it out. I did a lot of letting them sit on the pot for a bit once they were able to sit on something for a little bit, and most of the time they would go, but I am by no means an "expert" on it At one point i got really concieted that I was becoming a master iwth lena, and we went ot the grocery sans dipe at about 9 months old or so...and she crapped all over me in the middle the store lol GREAT!

Seriously, I don't think that I used EC the "right" way, as a lot of the mamas I know that do it full-time use a pot or the actual toilet, but we did more of a "she's gonna pee, hand me a blanket/prefold" style. It worked fine, my main reason for doing it was that I had a grasp on most of their cues and I just liked being able to let their bottoms breathe. I wasn't attempting to cut down on dipes or anything, I just felt that it would be nice to not be wrapped in a wet cloth all day long, and to allow their legs to just be where the want to be, not have a big bulky dipe between their legs. Come on, even the trimest diaper cannot be THAT comfortable

Lena was like your dc, and had a fairly regular poop schedule, and that part was relaly easy to get down pat. Goggle EC...there's a lot of great resources out there to learn more! Good luck!
jennyofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

EC is Elimination Communication. Here's kind of an overview article: http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/in...ytraining.html

www.mothering.com has a whole forum for EC. There are also several Yahoo Groups for EC in general and for late-starters specifically.

Here are some other resources:
http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/links/no-diapers.html
http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/
http://www.freewebs.com/freetoec/index.htm
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow I never heard of this! interesting, ty for the links
Old 06-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend successfully EC'd both her kids. I think she goes through 1 dipe if that for the baby. I tried it, and have caught a few pees, but I am out and about all day long and I feel that you really have to be at home a lot or have quick access to a bathroom to make it work. Her son sits a lot on his potty, he even scoots around the house while he's sitting on it. She can tell by the signals that he is giving her when he does need to go though, I think it's pretty neat. I like cloth dipes too much to have given it a real chance.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Ok, update, I put Alex on the potty this morning after she nursed and as soon as she was in a sitting position, she pooped a lot and peed a little. The end result? I don't have to spray out a big poopy dipe 5 minutes after I put it on her, and I'm not wasting a clean diaper while I'm at it! I'm not sure if this qualifies as ECing but I def. recognize her poop signals now. Definately a grunter!